Freezing dough question
  Re: (...)
As I mentioned in another post, I made PW's Parker House Rolls today. I still have half the dough left. I have frozen pizza and pasta dough, but not bread dough. This dough is made with lots of milk and butter. Should I freeze the dough, make the rolls and freeze them, or bake the rolls and freeze them? I would much prefer freezing the dough. They were so good, I'd hate to waste the dough.

As a matter of fact, I'm considering driving back to Southport to get the dough which would give me a chance to visit with family I've not seen in 10 years and take notes while Dee Dee talks food and wine!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Freezing dough question by Gourmet_Mom (As I mentioned in an...)
Jane has always baked those rolls to the browning stage, frozen them, and then thawed and browned them before serving. It works. She would love to know if you could freeze them before baking. That would be better.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Freezing dough question by Old Bay (Jane has always bake...)
I'm with Jane. I'd love to find out you could freeze the dough, thaw it overnight in the fridge and proceed with the recipe. These things were AWESOME! Bill, you've been holding out on me!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Freezing dough question by Gourmet_Mom (I'm with Jane. I'd ...)
I can't see why it wouldn't work, Daphne. I've yet to meet a dough I haven't frozen and they've all worked.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Freezing dough question by Gourmet_Mom (As I mentioned in an...)
I know this is late, Daphne, but I've been parbaking my rolls and freezing them for some time now. Especially for a holiday meal, like Thanksgiving. I ended up par baking a little over five dozen rolls of different flavors. Just a few minutes in the oven and they come to the table hot.

Also make a batch occasionally to keep in the freezer for Picky. I've never tried doing the frozen raw, though, for me, it would defeat the purpose of brown and serve on a few minutes notice. And they must be structually sound before they are frozen. I bake at 275 just until they are set up, cool and freeze.

That's why I can get home from work at 4 and have fresh rolls at 5!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Freezing dough question by pjcooks (I know this is late,...)
Thanks PJ!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Freezing dough question by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks PJ!...)
That is good to know! Thank you, PJ! BTW, how's the job going? You haven't given us a report lately...Hope it's going well.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."