Beef heart
  Re: (...)
Does anyone cook beef heart? Ron said his mom used to cook it when he was growing up and they all loved it. One of the butchers at the West Side Market carries it, so I was thinking of surprising Ron with a dinner when he gets back.

He said his mom used to stuff it, then roast it. He also said that it does not taste like liver, that it has a good beef flavor and that it's tender. I'm reluctant, but willing to try it. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Beef heart by Mare749 (Does anyone cook bee...)
You are a good wife! If Bob wants liver and onions he will have to go to a restaurant!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Beef heart by Harborwitch (You are a good wife!...)
Oh Maryann, I would love to do a beef heart - don't know why I've never done it. Hmmmmmmmmmm Got to look this one up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beef heart by cjs (Oh Maryann, I would ...)

After I posted this, I remembered that we always eat the deer heart, just lightly fried in butter with onions, and it's really good. I'm thinking that the butcher will give me some tips as well for beef heart.

Sharon, I think the reason I'm able to cook some of these things (like liver and onions) is because we got married so young and I didn't know how to cook the things that Ron loved the most. So, I would ask my MIL to tell me what to buy from the meat store that we went to. When I was preparing it, I would call her on the phone, and she would "walk me through it" start to finish.

I'll have to ask her if she remembers how she prepared the beef heart "back in the day" since I don't think she cooks it anymore.
Maryann

Re: Re: Beef heart by Mare749 ([br]After I posted t...)
I only worked with liver for a few months. It involved a wolf-hybrid puppy and I will never do THAT again.

Mom made me try live once, that was enough.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Beef heart by Harborwitch (I only worked with l...)
Maryann, you had me so interested and curious - in between batches of cornbread, I'm looking thru books for beef heart.

Here's one that I found really interesting and the reviews were all good, except for 2 (they both gave it *** and said they just don't care for the meat itself).

Everyone agreed beef heart does need garlic added to whatever mix.

Beef Heart Braised in Wine

4 pounds beef heart
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 potatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup red wine

1. Wash the heart and remove any fat and arteries. Slice the heart in half, then slice it into 1/2 inch thick slices.

2. Dredge heart in flour and season with salt and pepper.

3. Heat the butter in large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the heart slices and cook for 30 to 45 seconds per side.

4. Stir in the onion, carrots, potatoes, thyme, beef broth and wine. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve.

Reviewers ideas:
This was really delicious. I used rice flour to flour the heart instead of regular flour. We will definitely make this again! I used about 3 cups beef broth and 1 cup wine.

Fabulous. This made me imagine some kind of magical stew you might find at a country tavern in the middle ages. I added more boullion to make it a bit more liquidy because I knew that the sauce would come out delicious and could be scooped up with toasted baguettes. Great wine recommendation- a strong red really enhances the heart's strong flavor. And the meat is available at my supermarket at one-fourth the price of fancier beef cuts. Merci!

Loved this dish!!! It was easy, had a short list of ingredients and turned out delicious in one pot. I think I would add more carrots and potatoes next time. If I did that I might also increase the gravy amounts slightly. I had a little more meat than vegetables.

Although obviously an organ, heart is not organ meat. It is a muscle. I soak it in cold, salted water for about an hour before cooking (I can't remember why, I just learned to do that when preparing heart). I too added garlic. If you don't have red wine, red wine vinegar works well too. I've made it with apple cider vinegar once in a pinch and it was good. Also, just about any root vegetable works well.

Didn't know what to do with beef hearts I had in my freezer until I found this recipe. Thank you!! I used grass-fed beef heart and the taste didn't seem strong...If I hadn't of been the one who made it, I would never had known it was beef heart. It reminded me of a pot roast. Very good meal. My kids ate this up: ages 1, 2, and 3.

My husband loved it! The only suggestion would be to cook the heart at least 90 minutes, rather than 60. The prep time for cleaning the heart took more than 10 minutes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beef heart by cjs (Maryann, you had me ...)
Great information, Jean. Thank you for typing up the recipe too. I will post when I make this.
Maryann

Re: Re: Beef heart by Mare749 (Great information, J...)
I don't eat meat organs, but my Mom and Brother love Liver with onions.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Beef heart by BarbaraS (I don't eat meat org...)
I'm taking this recipe and info with me Maryann - think I'll play on the road. You have me so curious.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beef heart by cjs (I'm taking this reci...)
Oh, I know what you mean. I'm going to the market today so I'll talk with the butcher. Not sure if I should buy it today and freeze it until Sunday, or go back to the market on Saturday to buy one. I want it to be nice and fresh.
Maryann