Favorite Cookie or Candy Recipe - Christmas 2010
  Re: (...)
This week end we will be making cookies to share -

Do you have a favorite one to post? a Family one or a new one.

Please share with me your favorites.

Thanks

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Favorite Cookie or Candy Recipe - Christmas 2010 by mjkcooking (This week end we wil...)
Well, I would have to say, my favorites haven't changed in the past few years. We just LOVE Lori/RecipeGirl's Secret Recipe Chocolate Chip Cookies and the Meyer Lemon Cookies. I may try Vicci's Toffee Bars this year, also. I am also considering trying one Pioneer Woman posted the other day. They're called Brandy Snaps. There's brandy in the "cookie" part AND the filling.

[Image: 5216304898_7d78dd8070_o.jpg]

BTW, she is having Cookie Week on the Cooking Section of her Blog this week if that helps.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Time to Share your Favorite Cookie or Candy Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I would have t...)
AND, where is yours, MISS????

My old standby -

* Exported from MasterCook *

LEPKUCHEN

Cookie ingredients:
4 lg eggs -- well beaten
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsps cocoa
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp. each: cloves -- allspice & mace
15 drops maple flavoring -- (~1 tsp)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp brandy or brandy flavoring
2 Tbsps water
6 Tbsps butter -- melted
2 1/2 cup flour
2 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 1/2 cup walnuts -- chopped
1 cup honey
Glaze:
2 cup confectioner's sugar -- sifted
3 Tbsps milk
2 Tbsps butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, sugar & salt.
Add the rest of the cookie ingredients, mix well, adding nuts and honey last.

Pour into a shallow baking sheet which has been lined with wax paper (or parchment), for 25 minutes.

Bake for 25 min. Turn from pan and spread immediately with glaze.

GLAZE: Sift sugar into a bowl and set aside.
In a saucepan, heat milk and butter over low heat, stirring until butter melts.
Remove from heat and add to the sugar, mixing well. Add the vanilla.

Cut into 1 1/2" squares.

...and the family story that goes with:
My mother cut out and sent this recipe to me from the December 8, 1960 Yakima (Washington) Herald newspaper and we have been making these ever since. I used to send these as part of a Christmas goodie box to my children every year and I just recently found out two of my grandchildren had never tasted this bar before….their mother removed them from the package before they saw them. I couldn't believe it! (this mother would be madmax, of course.... )
-------

Marye, this is a great thead for December - do you mind if I 'sticky' it to the top for the month??? (too late, I already did.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Time to Share your Favorite Cookie or Candy Recipe by cjs (AND, where is yours...)
Oh Jean, I am so glad you posted this! My family loves lebkuchen, but I never had a recipe. Won't they be be surprised!!!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Time to Share your Favorite Cookie or Candy Recipe by chef_Tab (Oh Jean, I am so gla...)
I crack up every time I read about Tracie hoarding all the cookies...LOL!

Okay, here's a few:

Mom's Pecan Rolls

Recipe By :Mom
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baked Goods

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup butter
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups cake flour -- (she uses plain flour)
1 cup chopped pecans

Cream butter and powdered sugar. Add vanilla.

Add flour and nuts. (These can be mixed before adding to other mixture.)

Make into balls or small logs and refrigerate over night. (I never remember refrigerating overnight. Just chill.)

Bake in 350-400 degrees oven until lightly browned.

Roll in powder sugar.

MEYER LEMON RICOTTA COOKIES

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baked Goods

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter -- (2 sticks) at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
15 ounces ricotta cheese -- whole milk
1/2 tsp lemon extract -- or 1 tsp. lemon baking oil
3 tablespoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
decorating sugar -- silver dragées, optional

Preheat oven to 350°F. and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

Combine butter and sugar in bowl; cream together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, Ricotta, lemon extract (or oil), zest and juice; blend well. Add dry ingredients 1 cup at a time, blending to combine each time. Blend final mixture together until dough forms.

Drop dough by rounded Tablespoon 2 inches apart on baking sheets (cookies will spread). Bake until cookie edges are very light golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Let cookies rest on baking sheet for a few minutes and transfer to wire cooling rack.

While cookies cool, prepare glaze by creaming together butter and sugar. Continue to mix, gradually adding juice until desired consistency. Decorate cooled cookies, adding dragées or decorating sugar, if desired, before icing sets.

Description:
"These cookies remind me of the lemon cake Mom used to make for my grandfather."
Source:
"Recipe Source: Adapted from www.butterisbest.com"
Yield:
"4 dozen"

NOTES :
Cooking Tips
*Meyer lemons are available mid-November through early spring in specialty food stores. You will need 2 to 3 medium-sized lemons. Regular lemons can be substituted, as can oranges or tangerines. Grate the zest before juicing the fruit.

(I'm glad this came up. It seems this recipe was lost in the crash. So now I have it ready for the holidays. These are, by far, THE BEST chocolate chip cookies I've ever put in my mouth!)

SECRET RECIPE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
www.RecipeGirl.com

½ cup rolled oats, regular or quick
2¼ cups flour
1½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup butter, softened
¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs
3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1½ cups chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Place rolled oats in blender or food processor and process until finely ground. Combine ground oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in mixing bowl.

3. In another bowl, cream butter, sugars, vanilla and lemon juice together using an electric mixer. Add eggs and beat until fluffy.

4. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture, blending well. Add chips and nuts (if desired) to the dough and mix well. Using ¼ cup of dough for each cookie, scoop round balls with an ice cream scoop and place 2½” apart on prepared baking sheets.

5. Bake until cookies are lightly browned, 16-18 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store in a sealed container to keep them soft and chewy.

Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Recipe Source: Easy to Bake, Easy to Make

Cooking Tips
*If you do not want to grind oats for this recipe, go ahead and use regular oats. Just make sure that you are using quick-cooking oats.

Read more: http://www.recipegirl.com/2008/08/10/sec...z16uQ8qZSF
Daphne
  Re: Favorite Cookie or Candy Recipe - Christmas 2010 by mjkcooking (This week end we wil...)
Jane & I posted an orange cookie recipe for 30 min and were told "your entry is no longer valid"--really pi--ed me off!! .

Not doing it again. You all have a tea cake, sugar cookie, or perfectly, an orange butter cookie recipe. Here is a magnificant glaze whose inspiration comes from a crepes suzette. (From "Fine Cooking" magizine).

4 oz (1C) confectioner's sugar
2T Grand Marnier
1 1/4 T heavy cream, more as needed
2t finely grated orange zest
pinch of table salt

Combine the sugar, GM,cream, zest and salt. Mix until well blended and smooth. Add more cream if necessary,a few drops at a time, for thin spreadable consistancy. Top each cookie with about 1/2 t of glaze --spread over and let sit about two hours at room temp. Enjoy--good on just about anything!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Time to Share your Favorite Cookie or Candy Recipe by Old Bay (Jane & I posted an o...)
Oh, my goodness! What's not to like about that, Bill & Jane! I LOVE Grand Marnier! Come to think of it, I haven't had any in a VERY long time. I think it might be time to update the liquor cabinet. It makes such a GREAT winter toddy!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Time to Share your Favorite Cookie or Candy Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, my goodness! Wh...)
My most favorite in all the world that I can never, ever get enough of is -

Whatever is baked for me
  Re: Re: Time to Share your Favorite Cookie or Candy Recipe by DFen911 (My most favorite in ...)
Here's another one -

Cookie Biscotti Sticks

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups uncooked regular oats
1 pkg. semisweet chocolate morsels (I used bittersweet) -- (12 oz.)
1 cup butterscotch morsels
2 T. shortening
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup coarsely chopped peanuts

Stir together sugar, butter & corn syrup in a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves and butter melts.

Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup peanut butter and vanilla.

Gently stir in oats. Press into bottom of an ungreased 13X9" pan lined with aluminum foil.
Bake at 375 F. for 20-22 minutes or until browned.

Melt together chocolate and butterscotch morsels and shortening in a saucepan over med. heat, stirring until smooth; stir in 1/2 cup peanut butter.
Spread over baked cookie crust; sprinkle with peanuts.

Let cool in pan on a wire rack 20 min. Cover and chill 2 to 3 hours or till firm. (or pop them in the freezer for speed cooling. Just be sure to let them stand 5 min at room temperature before cutting.)

Lift uncut cookies out of pan using foil as handles. Cut crosswise into approximately 1" thick sticks using a large chef's knife.

Wrap in cellophane bags or plastic wrap for gift giving.
Southern Living Christmas book, '07

Description:
"These are wonderful for a party - great with wine also"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Molasses cookies were a favorite with my father’s family when they were kids. My Aunt Marjean taught me to remove the cookies from the oven while the cracks still looked a little doughy – that way they were chewy. She always doubled this recipe.

Molasses Sugar Cookies

3/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup light unsulfured molasses
1 egg
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 tsps. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Additional sugar

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter heavy large cookie sheets.

Melt shortening in a heavy small saucepan over low heat. Pour into a large bowl and let stand until cool but not set. Mix in 1 cup sugar, molasses and egg.

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, salt and nutmeg in a small bowl. Stir into shortening mixture. Cover and refrigerate dough for 10 minutes.

Shape dough into 1” diameter balls. Roll each in sugar, coating completely. Place on prepared cookie sheets spacing 2” apart. Bake until cookies are just barely set (surface may crack), about 8 minutes. Transfer cookies to rack and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

- - - - - - -

Lastly, not cookies/candy, but I love giving this away. A couple of Roy's girls have a fit if this is not included in their pkg. So good.

CAPPUCCINO MIX

1 cup powdered instant nondairy creamer
1 cup chocolate-flavored drink mix
3/4 cup instant coffee -- (decaffeinated or regular)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Mix all the ingredients together and store in an air tight container.

Mix 2 T. of the Cappuccino mixture into 6 oz. of boiling water or hot coffee.

To garnish: Whipped cream and shaved chocolate or Frangelico Liqueur

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Time to Share your Favorite Cookie or Candy Recipe by cjs (Here's another one -...)
Below is what I am hoping to make between now and before we leave for SoCal (not necessarily in the order written) and freeze some of the ones that will freeze ok.

My Scottish shortbread
Ina' Rugelah (apricot pecan filling)
Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies (another Giada recipe)
Almond Cloud Cookies (KAF)
Cranberry Oatmeal White Chocolate Jumbles (FC)
Orange Butter Cookies with Grand Marnier Glaze (FC)
Rosemary Apricot Bars (the new Baked book)
and a Brownie either the Sweet and Salty one from the new Baked book or Lisa Slater's Classic Brownie
My Fudge
Marilyn's Toffee and hopefully I'll finally also get to make Pennie's caramels.
Since I made this list I have 2 more I want to make: Momofuku's Milk Bar's Blueberries and Cream Cookies and Dark Chocolate and Oatmeal Cookies (BA).
I am hoping to make some of Ina's Lemon Curd bars tonight with my Meyer Lemons and of course DH is waiting with baited breath for a repeat of these:

The link for the original is at the end. I did not make orange sugar for them (it was originally a Halloween recipes, hence the orange for color). I did not have any so I googled and found: If using the optional orange sugar mix 2 TBS. orange zest with ½ cup of the sugar. It is better if done ahead about a week ahead of time. It made bigger cookies and used Hershey kisses on top. I used choco chips on most, dried cranberries on a few (ran out of chips and did not want to open a new package), and none on a few test ones. I liked all 3 versions, preferring the plainest ones. I never made the original, but the adaption below makes one of the best cookies I've ever had:

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK.

NUTELLA COOKIES***** A new favorite.

Use 350° F. in convection oven or 375° F in regular oven. Be careful not to overbake. If too hard the next day, put in microwave for 30 seconds. I did it once and found I liked them just as well as is. I put them in a metal tin as soon as them were cooled enough. If you want more hazelnut flavor roll the cookies in finely chopped hazelnuts with or without mini chips instead of the sugar in the raw.

Servings: 12 Yield: 36 to 40 cookies

Oven Temperature: 350°F

1¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
½ cup butter, softened (1 stick)
¼ cup sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. Frangelico (Hazelnut Liqueur).
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup sugar in the raw (optional)
½ cup Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350°F convection-bake or 375°F for regular oven.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Place the chocolate hazelnut spread, butter, and brown sugar and white sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer and cream the ingredients together, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and blend until incorporated. Stir in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated.

Shape the cookie dough into walnut-sized balls, a #50 scoop is perfect (Originals were bigger). If desired, rolls the balls in the optional ½ cup sugar in the raw, pressing to adhere. Place the cookies on a heavy cookie sheet about 4 inches apart. If not adding chocolate chip, bake for about 8 minutes. Top will be very soft. If adding, bake for 6-7 minutes, remove the cookies from the oven and quickly place a chocolate kiss in the middle of each cookie. For softer cookies, return the cookies to the oven and bake for no more than 2 minutes. If prefer crispy cookies bake 3-4 minutes after adding chips. Centers will still be soft. Cool the cookies on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.

Prep.Time: 24 min. Cooking Time: 9 min. Inactive Time: 12 min. Total Time: 45 min.

Adapted from: Author: Giada De Laurentiis Source: Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Web Page: <a href="http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/chocolate-hazelnut-smooches-recipe/index.html" >http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/chocolate-hazelnut-smooches-recipe/index.html </a> .

Recipe Type: Chocolate, Cookies, Desserts, Giada de Laurentiis, Hazelnuts, Nutella