Pork Rub
  Re: (...)
Ok I did a couple of pork butts in my smoker yesterday, and I used apple wood chips (replaced chips twice to total rotations of smoke was 3). But the rub...holy cow was this a good rub!

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup paprika

Now my Cayenee that I use is called very hot from Penzey's so I only used 1/2 tbl and that was a good call

Each butt was about 5lbs and I smoked at 225 for 11 hours. I'll go 13-14 hours next time.

The flavor was so good we didn't even put the Carolina bbq sauce on it
  Re: Pork Rub by DFen911 (Ok I did a couple of...)
I should expect the FedEX truck this afternoon with pork and Carolina BBQ sauce on the side?????

OMG! Lady you're killin' me here. LOL
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pork Rub by Harborwitch (I should expect the ...)
That sounds fantastic! That's more or less the spices my husband uses on baby back ribs.
  Re: Re: Pork Rub by Trixxee (That sounds fantasti...)
Same here, that's about what goes into the rub I use as well. Nothing like it coming out of the smoker though! Sure wish I had been able to use mine yesterday, but we're in the middle of a snow storm here. So, mine had to go into the crockpot. It's not quite like smoking, but still tastes pretty good.

ETA: We usually do a couple of those in the smoker so that we have the meat during the winter. Nothing like BBQ pork in the middle of February! I used the food saver to do this and it worked out beautifully.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pork Rub by Mare749 (Same here, that's ab...)
I love BBQ! I always smoke as much meat as my smoker will accommodate. Like Maryann, I have found that if you foodsaver the meat it doesn't suffer much, if at all, from the time in the freezer. surprisingly, the last time I made ribs we had leftovers, and they fooxsaver and freeze beautifully as well.

If it warms up a bit over the holidays, I think I'll be loading the smoker up...it's too cold for me right now!
  Re: Re: Pork Rub by karyn (I love BBQ! I always...)
That's a lot like the rub I use on our ribs, too. Quite often I don't use a sauce. I think I may have to do the Crock Pot version again this week. It was SO good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pork Rub by Gourmet_Mom (That's a lot like th...)
Haven't done one for a while, but still have a few pkgs. left in the freezer at home.

Denise, I'm curious about the "(replaced chips twice to total rotations of smoke was 3)." remark. The box I use for the chips holds about a large handful and the smoke only lasts 45 to 60 minutes. How do you manage to only change the smoke 3 times in 11 hours???? Really curious.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Rub by cjs (Haven't done one for...)
My box holds about 1.5 cups of chips that I thoroughly soak. They 'ignite' within 20 minutes and produce smoke for 1-2 hours. I've been doing a lot of reading about smoking and testing. I find that I get as much smoking flavor why doing 3 rotations as I do 5 or 6. I am reading that the smoke flavor is imparted within the first 4 hours. So I put in my first batch, it smokes for about 1-2 hours, I put in my second batch which was soaking for at least 45 min, and that one smokes for about 2 hours, then my third batch. So total smoke applied is around 6 hours. But I let it cook for about 12+ hours. I also put apple juice in the water tray and brine the pork before smoking.

I took my smoked pork to the office today for a pot luck and I am proud to say nothing was left! All the other dishes had quite a lot left over, but everyone kept going back for the pork.

I love smoking pork...soooo much
  Re: Re: Pork Rub by DFen911 (My box holds about 1...)
We always use some kind of juice in the water bowl depending on what we smoke. Now and then we'll throw in herbs, cinnamon sticks, onions, garlic, or other goodies.

We also mix up some of the juice or bourbon (or whatever) with some water in a spray bottle (= to about 1/2 to 2/3 c)and spray whatever we're smoking whenever we change the chips or when the temp gets a bit too high.

I miss my smoker.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pork Rub by Harborwitch (We always use some k...)
We use chunks instead of chips since they last longer. The bigger chunks of wood we soak overnight and they will smoke for quite a while. We don't smoke past 6 hours anymore since the bark is pretty dark by that time, but do continue to cook for 12+ hours, either in the smoker, or the basement oven.

Does anyone put fish in their smoker? We have not done that yet, but had some smoked grouper when we were in Florida that was pretty amazing.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."