Secret Santa Q
  Re: (...)
Hay All,

I have been asked, have you ever shipped something perishable, needs to be frozen and shipped overnight,

How did you do it and what carrier did you use?

TIA,

Barbara<~~~keeper of the Secret Santa stuff...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Secret Santa Q by BarbaraS (Hay All,[br][br]I ha...)
I've only ever shipped homemade soups to my mom while she was undergoing chemo for breast cancer and had all sorts of dietary restrictions, so I was ultra-cautious. (She called one day in tears saying she just wanted some homemade soup...what was I gonna do???)

I shipped the soup frozen in 2-serving portions (frozen in the appropriate quantities then popped out of the containers and foodsavered (my person verb of choice). I shipped in a cooler on dry ice. I'll NEVER do it again!!

After I had the soup made and packed on dry ice, and the cooler in a labeled shipping box, I went to FedEx 'cuz I had to overnight the package. Soup is HEAVY!!! It was August. For delivery guaranteed by 2 p.m. it was going to cost me $205. I figured at that point I should spring for the extra $3 to get it delivered by 10 a.m.

She could have had a lot more food for that price if I'd just arranged for local delivery from a commercial kitchen or restaurant!
  Re: Re: Secret Santa Q by karyn (I've only ever shipp...)
Barbara, I am still trying to get some venison to Jean....one of these days! I asked my Post Master recently how to go about it. He told me that if I could get a cooler/lunch bag in a size that would fit one of the "If it fits, it ships" boxes, I could get it there within 48 hours, cross country, no problem for 3-15 bucks (depending on size not weight), no problem. I'd ask about the "If it fits, it ships" program.

Of course, the venison AND the dry ice would need to fit the cooler/lunch bag. I would be curious to know how long dry ice lasts. That would be good to know.

ALSO, if you think about Erin's "blank" of the month club question....there are plenty of companies that ***** perishables/frozen products long distances ALL the time without charging an arm and a leg. There has GOT to be away!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Secret Santa Q by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, I am still ...)
We've gotten lobsters (for the clambakes we used to have on the island), and steaks shipped. UPS RED, Express Mail, and FedEx are great ways. Box, cooler, frozen food well wrapped, and freezee packs and/or dry ice. Luckily this time of year it's cool so that helps. Make sure to label it as PERISHABLE in big letters.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Secret Santa Q by Harborwitch (We've gotten lobster...)
Bless your heart, Maryann. The monthly cheese pkgs. we received were in small styrofoam 'boxes' with a freezer pack which was, of course, completely thawed by the time it got to us. But, the cheese was always fine. I have no idea about shipping other foods.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Secret Santa Q by cjs (Bless your heart, Ma...)
Thanks Jean, what did I do?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Secret Santa Q by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, what di...)
I wondered too, Maryann.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Secret Santa Q by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, what di...)
I thought you sent Jean some cheese.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Secret Santa Q by luvnit (I thought you sent J...)
I think she's thanking you instead of me for my failed efforts to send her some venison...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Secret Santa Q by Gourmet_Mom (I think she's thanki...)
Theresa took the community mind to work with her, didn't she????

(thank you, Daphne..... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com