App-etizing: Cookbooks And Recipes Go Mobile
  Re: (...)
NPR Story on Cookbooks and Cooking Apps

I love my cookbooks! I write in them, read and re-read them, collect them from places I visit. And, I also search the web for recipes and ideas. Don't use any of the cooking apps, though. How about you?
  Re: App-etizing: Cookbooks And Recipes Go Mobile by HomeCulinarian ( [url=http://www.npr...)
I haven't got any of the new devices. We've got a laptop, and I've considered taking it into the kitchen. But MC doesn't work so well on it, and the way my house is designed, my wireless doesn't reach the kitchen.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: App-etizing: Cookbooks And Recipes Go Mobile by Gourmet_Mom (I haven't got any of...)
Quote:

I haven't got any of the new devices. We've got a laptop, and I've considered taking it into the kitchen. But MC doesn't work so well on it, and the way my house is designed, my wireless doesn't reach the kitchen.

The solution of course is to switch to Living Cookbook 2011. It can easily import your MC files. I really want an ipad, but can't justify the expense and my iphone really can do it all, so I don't see an ipad in my near future.

We have a big sprawling ranch style house and our wireless did not reach the back part of the house including the master bedroom at the end of the short side of the l shape. DH got a booster router, so we have the main router in the store room for our website business, but also have a second one which feed off the first in DH's office by the master bedroom. When we set up the wii in the family room, we needed a port there, so we got one there which is in between the original and the one in the back. Net result, we have great coverage anywhere in the house. We got the last one from Amazon. You might want to check out the possibilities, it was not expensive and makes a huge difference, to me being able to sit with my laptop while watching tv, checking forums, downloading recipes into LC and when I need to print, being able to print from the master bedroom to my very old printer in the other end of the house (or to any other printer). Of course, I have not figured out how to get the printer to send me the printer copies, I still need to go get them, but lol, I certainly can use the exercise.
  Re: Re: App-etizing: Cookbooks And Recipes Go Mobile by Cubangirl ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"Of course, I have not figured out how to get the printer to send me the printer copies, I still need to go get them, but lol, I certainly can use the exercise." LOL!

Thanks for the tip on the booster!
Daphne
  Re: Re: App-etizing: Cookbooks And Recipes Go Mobile by Gourmet_Mom ("Of course, I have n...)
We have one of those boosters (May be called an amplifier) too. Needed to get the wifi up to the school house. Works pretty good for us.

I love having books too. We thought about getting a Kindle for Steve. He doesn't read at home but reads a lot when on trips. Be a lot easier to carry a kindle than 8 books. But we both are hung up with pages and sharing books and going back to a passage...etc. I have my computer in the kitchen and do use mastercook from it, but at least 3/4 of the time I prefer printing it out and getting my dirty fingerprints on the pages. AND - I love cookbooks with pictures!

But I love the ease of organizing and finding the recipes on the internet or in MC. The best of both worlds for me. I know one of these days we will all be paper free. I just have to take baby steps...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: App-etizing: Cookbooks And Recipes Go Mobile by esgunn (We have one of those...)
I had edited my post to add the apps I use but somehow it got lost. I still buy cookbooks, love having and reading them like I would a novel, but for cooking LC is a lot easier. I do print my recipes so I can make notes, and not worry if it gets grease. BTW, I don't know about MC, but in LC you can drag and drop pictures, so I have recipe pictures as well as how to procedure pictures. I also have pictures of cuts of meats, herbs, etc in the ingredient section.

I have Epi (just got an email saying I can sync my recipe box with my iphone), FC, F&W, CI, Seafood Guide, a couple of wine apps and a coupe of scale and conversion apps. I also have grocery IQ (which I find very frustrating at times) and Grocery Gadgets. I also have Evernote for my LC shopping lists and Handy Cookbook which allows me to import my recipes from LC into the iphone. Really handy having them all while at the store.

I really want an ipad, especially for reading while traveling, but cannot in any way justify the expense. The iphone does the job, so I don't see one in my future.
  Re: Re: App-etizing: Cookbooks And Recipes Go Mobile by Cubangirl (I had edited my post...)
Nothing will ever replace my cookbooks!! I end up using them as a diary and it's so fun to look back on recipes 10, 20 years ago and remind us what we were doing/building/remodeling.

But, I usually scan a recipe I'm going to use from a book (at least as a guide) so I can scotch tape it to my workstation cupboard - much easier to cook from. Then I date the book page, review the recipe and add any interesting notes to the page.

More info that anyone ever wanted to know, I'm sure.

P.S. Plus, a little more not needed info, after I'm done with the scanned page, I put it in the annual binder that I do for each year. One day I would love to pick an annual and remake everyday's menu in it. probably won't tho, too many new recipes to try.

Wow, I'd better get off the forum, this darn Hpnotic martini is hittig me........
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: App-etizing: Cookbooks And Recipes Go Mobile by cjs (Nothing will ever re...)
"Plus, a little more not needed info, after I'm done with the scanned page, I put it in the annual binder that I do for each year." So that's why you don't remember you made something! I print mine and put them in binders alphabetically. So I know I've made something if it's in the binder. ALTHOUGH, I LOVE your idea of doing an annual journal.

Since my binder if bursting at the seams, I think I'll "take a page from your book" and start annual binders with the new year (hopefully with a new printer)....but maybe with an index? I'll just put a piece of notebook paper in there to record the name of the recipe and date. At the end of the year I could then type the recipe and make a table on the computer to look up recipes later. Wow, that sounds like a lot, but I like it!

BTW, Jean, do you put them in plastic sleeves?
Daphne
  Re: Re: App-etizing: Cookbooks And Recipes Go Mobile by Gourmet_Mom ("Plus, a little more...)
Folks, you could do the same thing with Living Cookbook. Add notes, date made, pictures of the dish that was actually made (as opposed to the airbrushed ones or in addition to them) The review section lets you put a date as well as notes for each, so you can even add who ate the meal. Of course the menu section lets you save and date menus as well and you can print any or all of it.
BTW, one thing I've been doing is adding forum links to recipes if they are discussed as well as the original link of the recipe if it has one. That way, I can go check reviews comments etc. in addition to those I copy and keep with the recipe. I also save my paper recipes, but it is a lot easier to find when it is in the computer.

A little OT, but related. Those of you with children, if you cook like me, you instinctively change recipes. Make a note of it for them. Also when you write sprinkle salt and pepper on meat, take a picture with your phone. My idea of sprinkling and yours may be very different. When I make picadillo I do it the way my mom does, we stick a handful of stuffed olives and a handful of raisins, and a splash of dry sherry, etc. Ours don't taste the same, both good but different. So now I have been trying as I get ready to put in the handful, I put it in a bowl instead and then weigh it. Not perfect, but at least a better idea of what a handful means to me.
There are so many recipes my mom made like that, but I did not write them down and even though I watched I can't remember it all. Now, she does not cook many of them anymore, and does not remember what she did. Sorry, end of could have, should have.
  Re: Re: App-etizing: Cookbooks And Recipes Go Mobile by Cubangirl (Folks, you could do ...)
I always make my notes of any changes I make on the recipe, so I'll know later.

Daphne, July 1st of each year, I move all the recipes from the 'annual binder' to a new larger one and divide them by courses, nothing too picky, just Starters, Entrees, Soups/Stews, Salads, Desserts, Misc. then in January, I move the July thru Dec. recipes to that binder and all of the year is together. Sounds like more work than it really is.

And then about every 8-10 years I go thru the binders and keep the ones that I really want.

No, I don't use the protectors.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com