Deciding how to use this...
  Re: (...)
[Image: jellyd.png]

... Coffee JELLY! Just bought this today. It has a good strong, black coffee taste, but I can't imagine ONLY using it on toast. The first thing that comes to mind is as a glaze for some chicken (just thinking it would be better, there, than on beef or pork).

Any of you have some ideas?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Deciding how to use this... by labradors ([img]http://img689.i...)
I do a coffee/cinnamon rub for pork and chicken the we like.

Drizzle it on anything chocolate...
add to an ice cream base
add some chilies to it for drizzling

Anxious to hear what you find is good with it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Deciding how to use this... by cjs (I do a coffee/cinnam...)
Quote:

I do a coffee/cinnamon rub for pork and chicken the we like.

Drizzle it on anything chocolate...
add to an ice cream base
add some chilies to it for drizzling

Anxious to hear what you find is good with it.

We do a coffee/cinnamon/cocoa rub on beef tenderloin and serve it with green chili grits and a pasella chili cream sauce. Really goes well with chard.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Deciding how to use this... by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
OH, and add some to a rootbeer float, Labs - wonderful!! (and some chocolate)

I add cocoa also - isn't that a wonderful flavor???? (I'll show you mine if.,.... )

Cinnamon-Coffee Rub
1 tablespoon ground Saigon cinnamon
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
2 teaspoons cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
2 cloves garlic -- very finely chopped
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Deciding how to use this... by cjs (I do a coffee/cinnam...)
Jean, I thought of that coffee/cinnamon rub right away, Still haven't tried that, but it's one of the reasons I imagined this with chicken more than with beef or pork.

This is a very firm jelly, so it would need to be heated and/or thinned to be able to drizzle it. Otherwise, I'm trying to think of ways to take advantage of the fact that it's already a jelly, rather than something for which I could just use regular, brewed coffee.

The chile idea sounds good. One thing I was considering for the chicken glaze is to reconstitute an ancho chile and/or a guajillo chile and purée them with some of the jelly, then using that for a glaze. Still deciding, though.
  Re: Re: Deciding how to use this... by labradors (Jean, I thought of t...)
I love that coffee cinnamon rub!!!! It put it on brisket and it was wonderful *drools*
  Re: Re: Deciding how to use this... by DFen911 (I love that coffee c...)
I can't wait to hear the results of your experiment. I need to try the rub on chicken. We tried it one on beef and weren't crazy about it, but I'm thinking we'd like it better on chicken. It was also a different recipe.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Deciding how to use this... by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm with Bill, I think it would be great on beef.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Deciding how to use this... by pjcooks (I'm with Bill, I thi...)
When I noticed that the "Time to Share your Favorite Cookie or Candy Recipe" thread had a new post, that gave me another idea.

You know those small, round cookies from Knott's Berry Farm that have a jelly centre? Well, how about doing the same thing, but with a chocolate cookie base (perhaps with a bit of cinnamon) and the coffee jelly? I'm drooling already!

Fortunately, even though the jar of jelly isn't very big, there will be enough to try with chicken AND cookies.
  Re: Re: Deciding how to use this... by labradors (When I noticed that ...)
"but with a chocolate cookie base (perhaps with a bit of cinnamon) and the coffee jelly??" And send some this way!!!

I'm going to have to look for this product. It's in my to-do folder for when I get home!

I don't think I've use my rub on a beef roast, but that does sound good. another idea for home.
www.achefsjourney.com