Oregano varieties - any of you know?
  Re: (...)
In trying to find out what kind of oregano it is that grows here, I have found many lists of varieties, all of which say that Italian oregano has 1 1/2-inch leaves and that Mexican oregano has 1 - 2-inch leaves. Unfortunately, they never say ANYTHING about the leaf sizes of the other varieties.

Here is why I ask:

[Image: giantoregano.jpg]

As you can see, the oregano we have here has 4-inch-long and 3-inch-wide leaves - absolutely dwarfing the others. Do any of you have additional information about oregano varieties that could help establish which this one is?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Oregano varieties - any of you know? by labradors (In trying to find ou...)
Short of doing a Google search, which I'm sure you've done, I haven't a clue. That thing is HUGE!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Oregano varieties - any of you know? by Gourmet_Mom (Short of doing a Goo...)
Yeah. Google is where I've found what I HAVE found, so far.

Even just one leaf of this is more than most recipes would require.
  Re: Re: Oregano varieties - any of you know? by labradors (Yeah. Google is whe...)
Okay. It took quite a bit of digging and there's still a little confusion, but it looks as though this is Cuban Oregano, which is also known as "Spanish thyme" and a few other names. The confusion is that it MAY also be called "broadleaf thyme," OR THIS may be the broadleaf thyme and the Cuban oregano may have smaller leaves. Either way, it IS edible (already knew that) and it DOES taste like intense oregano with some aspects of thyme and, perhaps, sage.

Now that I know more about this, I'm hoping to start growing some of this in a pot from some cuttings (which is said to work VERY well).

Considering the size (including thickness) of these leaves, I was thinking they could be interesting deep fried in a batter. Well, during my searching, one of the things I found was THIS recipe, that someone posted on the Pioneer Woman's site. Sounds interesting and I like onion bhajis, anyway, so those Cuban-oregano bhajis should be worth a try.
  Re: Re: Oregano varieties - any of you know? by labradors (Okay. It took quite...)
Sounds really yummy, Labs! It's funny you wound up at Pioneer Woman's sight...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Oregano varieties - any of you know? by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds really yummy,...)
Oh, I've been there a few times, before, but it's funny that this ingredient should show up there - even though she wasn't the one who posted it.
  Re: Re: Oregano varieties - any of you know? by labradors (Oh, I've been there ...)
I have a wonderful Herb book...at home. That leaf looks like something I grew a few years ago (in California). Going to have to think on what the heck it was.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oregano varieties - any of you know? by cjs (I have a wonderful H...)
Gee, that really looks like a shiso leaf to me.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Oregano varieties - any of you know? by Lorraine (Gee, that really loo...)
that's it!!!!! I grew shiso! Lorraine got the brain today.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oregano varieties - any of you know? by cjs (that's it!!!!! I gre...)
"Lorraine got the brain today." LOL!
Daphne