The Almost Perfect Christmas Eve
  Re: (...)
Well, it was nearly perfect. However, a couple days before I had an accident with a shiny kids' book and a flight of stairs which left my back a bit on the immobile side. This left me not being able to bend or lift (i.e. remove things from the oven, lifting things out of a grocery cart, etc.)

However, everyone pulled together to help me get things done. I successfully side-stepped the inlaws gathering by having my grandparents here along with my mom and her hubby. But I did invite inlaws to stop by for appys and such on their way to their event. This worked out beautifully.

We were still able to see everyone, even for a short time and still have a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner of Oyster Stew and Butternut Squash Soup, crusty bread and Bananas Foster Bread Pudding.

My kids got to open one gift on Christmas Eve. My daughter finally got her American Girl Doll and my son got his Ninetendo DS. They were in heaven. My eldest daughter was also able to make it from Wisconsin. Did I tell you all she is studying to become a doctor? Good for her. Having all my kids in one place was a blessing.

Now my back is not so great, but it is getting better every day.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: The Almost Perfect Christmas Eve by luvnit (Well, it was nearly ...)
Ouch! Hope it's better soon. When it's your back, you really feel it and it affects the rest of how you move. Rest up and give it a good chance to recover.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The Almost Perfect Christmas Eve by labradors (Ouch! Hope it's bet...)
Yes, I agree with Labs, it will take quite a while for it to recover. It won't take much to re-injure it. Take it easy for a while. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your holiday weekend in spite of your injury.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The Almost Perfect Christmas Eve by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, I agree with La...)
What a great Christmas, it must have been, Laura!! I love traveling and we've had a great time, but next year, it has to be family.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Almost Perfect Christmas Eve by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, I agree with La...)
Well I am taking it easy. It was funny, last night my hubby came home and said tweaked his shoulder (doing nothing). Right away I said, "I call the the heating pad!"

His reply, "You know we are getting older when we are fighting over who gets the heating pad."

Really, it is getting better every day. And Christmas Eve we still a huge success. My grandparents are 83-84 and still getting around fairly well. They cannot drive anymore, but they manage. It was so nice to have them here. I know the number of holidays we have with them are growing shorter. I want my kids to remember their great-grandparents. They are so cute together.

Norman and Sylvia
[Image: NormanSylvia.jpg]

Norman was an English soldier stationed in Italy when he met Sylvia, fell in love, got married, had a baby (my mom), then immigrated to America.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: The Almost Perfect Christmas Eve by luvnit (Well I am taking it ...)
How cute! It is so special that you still have them! Treasure the moments.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The Almost Perfect Christmas Eve by Gourmet_Mom (How cute! It is so ...)
It does sound almost perfect, except for your back. Good that the family pulled together for you, Laura. That had to make you feel a little bit better. Take good care of you!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: The Almost Perfect Christmas Eve by Mare749 (It does sound almost...)
What a special Christmas! I hate it when things like that happen around the holidays though. But your family is amazing. Your GrandParents are darling and what a lovely story!!!

Take care of your back . . . and that shoulder.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: The Almost Perfect Christmas Eve by Harborwitch (What a special Chris...)
Awww - you're grandparents are so cute!

As far as the back goes, my mom has had a heck of a time with hers. She's been going to physical therapy, acupuncture and an ortho. She is finally coming around and the doctor said why she's doing better is probably 10% PT, 10% acupuncture, 10% specific back exercises he's given her to do and 70% Aleve.

You might give that a go. I wouldn't expect drastic results right away - I think it's a cumulative effect but certainly worth a try.

Feel better!
  Re: Re: The Almost Perfect Christmas Eve by luvnit (Well I am taking it ...)
It does sound like a perfect holiday, except your back. I hope you're on the mend. How nice to have the family help out! I'm sure my boys would jump in and help if it happened to me. Picky, though, would order Chinese Your grandparents are beautiful, having them there must have meant a lot to them, and to your family as well.

Mine was pretty near perfect as well, I had everyone, 5 kids + others, Mom, Dad, Mom-in-law, sister and hub, brother and wife, BIL, nephew and wife, and ex wife-Picky's, that is. I didn't want to face Christmas at 3 places, so I just hosted the whole thing. Actually turned out pretty stress free, didn't go overboard this year so I was able to enjoy my guests.

Then I had a friend get together on Monday night. Only 8 of us, thought, so it was easy easy easy. Didn't even start getting ready until the doorbell rang, and we all had a wonderful time. And drank so much wine-and I mean the 8 of us went through some serious wine-and we had a designated driver so all was safe.

(I love the war bride story, is she Italian born?)

PJ

ETA, my sister flew in from Two Rivers, Wisconsin. How far from there is your daughter?
PJ