Truffle oil...
  Re: (...)
... or is it?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Truffle oil... by labradors ([url=http://www.nyti...)
So I shouldn't order any for my birthday present to myself? That and the salt were on my list, since I totally forgot about it for Christmas. I guess I shouldn't be apologizing to Maryann about now, either....LOL! The oil and salt were supposed to be part of our presents, as well as the gift for Ashley's BF, but I forgot to order it!

Weigh in here Jean, Lorraine (and Gil), and Sharon....I now at least you use it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Truffle oil... by Gourmet_Mom (So I shouldn't order...)
Hmmm...disappointing...really wanted to try this.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Truffle oil... by Mare749 (Hmmm...disappointing...)
Hang in there, Maryann. Since I don't know the difference....the truffle oil may be fine. It's not like I'll ever have 500 dollars worth of truffles in the fridge on a regular basis, or ever! I'm thinking the oil would make for a nice experience....even if it wasn't real. It's not like I'd know the difference....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Truffle oil... by Gourmet_Mom (Hang in there, Marya...)
Roy Rogers just got up, so will have to read this article later and comment. Hope they aren't knocking infused truffle oil OR salt - it's great!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Truffle oil... by cjs (Roy Rogers just got ...)
FWIW, I use both truffle oil and truffle butter and love the results.To my plebeian taste, it adds a lovely flavor to TJ's microwave ready fingerling potatoes or frozen veggies. Then again I like marshmallow fluff on hot fudge sundaes too, so you might take my taste with a grain of salt. Trader Joe's used to carry some I like. I have that an WS which I don't like as well.

I had the best deconstructed beef wellington at a restaurant in Redondo Beach for my son's birthday. They served a couple of small scoops of truffled mashed potatoes (either oil or butter, not the real thing, I'm sure) on a phyllo pastry shell with the fillet on top and lightly sauteed wild mushrooms on top of the steak. It was a beautiful presentation and better that the real thing imho. The whole dish was light and tasty. I plan to try to recreate it. So I don't plan to throw away my truffle oil or butter. Just my .02
  Re: Re: Truffle oil... by Cubangirl (FWIW, I use both tru...)
Several good opinions here, but Daphne's hit home. It's not like WE would ever know the difference anyway, so it would be a nice flavor addition for whatever we used it for.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Truffle oil... by Mare749 (Several good opinion...)
I love my infused truffle oil. It's what I put on risotto or a baked potato...great finisher to a dish.
  Re: Re: Truffle oil... by Mare749 (Several good opinion...)
I can't open the article.

The Oregon Truffle Festival is coming up. Hmmmmmm. Might have to think about that. BTW - not giving up my truffle oil, truffle salt, or truffle butter!!! Unless it causes breast cancer - then I might think about it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!