Baked Ziti Recipe?
  Re: (...)
Hi all - due to some silly last minute circumstances, I now need to bring a tray of baked ziti to my sister's house tomorrow for NYE. There are a lot of them out there in Google land.

Does anyone here have one they really like? I plan on making some homemade meat sauce (ground beef & italian sausage) first thing in the am.

Thank you in advance!
  Re: Baked Ziti Recipe? by Trixxee (Hi all - due to some...)
Trixxee, we really like this one. I usually double the cheese which really negates the Cooking Light aspect...LOL!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Pasta With Sausage, Tomatoes, and Cheese

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound ziti pasta
1 pound Italian sausage links
1 cup onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
28 ounces Italian tomatoes -- undrained
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 cup mozzarella cheese -- shredded
1 cup parmesan cheese -- grated

Preheat oven to 350°.

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain the pasta, and set aside.

Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine cooked pasta, sausage mixture, and basil. Place half of the pasta mixture in a 4-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers.

Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.

Description:
"This is a very quick and easy recipe. My family loves it!"
Source:
"Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2003"

NOTES : Turkey sausage may be substituted. I removed the sausage from casings and crumbled. Whole milk cheeses may be used. Cento makes the best canned tomatoes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Baked Ziti Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (Trixxee, we really l...)
That sounds perfect Daphne - very similar to how my mom made it. A lot of recipes call for ricotta and I just haven't had it that way though I'm sure it's not bad!

Thank you!
  Re: Re: Baked Ziti Recipe? by Trixxee (That sounds perfect ...)
I think the amount of cheese in the recipe is adequate. It's just that my crowd likes to have lots of stringy cheese in this. So I put a cup of each cheese on the first layer of pasta and then another full cup of each on top. It depends on your family's taste.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Baked Ziti Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (I think the amount o...)
Sounds really good and gooey Daphne!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Baked Ziti Recipe? by Harborwitch (Sounds really good a...)
All that and really fast and easy. This is one of my weeknight go to dinners. I usually have the ingredients on hand. This and a salad, and I've got dinner done in no time. Another bonus, I get to wash up the pots and pans while the ziti bakes.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Baked Ziti Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (All that and really ...)
We love baked pastas and I do this all the time, but don't really have a recipe. I just toss cooked pasta with a heavy dose of my homemade sauce, top with a heavy layer of mozz and parmesan and bake till hot and gooey. You do need to use a heavy hand with the sauce as the pasta soaks up a lot of it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Baked Ziti Recipe? by Mare749 (We love baked pastas...)
I have to agree with Maryann here. I think I'll add a note to this one to either reduce the pasta or increase the meat sauce part. It's really good as written, but that's the "light" version. If you want it super yummy, I'd have to agree with Maryann and double the meat sauce. Although to make the cheese the star, I'd leave the sauce alone and just double the cheese.

Either way, you've got an idea for how to do a baked ziti dish....just wing it with your best sauce mixed with your pasta, and layered with LOTS of cheese!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Baked Ziti Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (I have to agree with...)
Oh man, it’s been years, but I used to make one for the family with layers of:
Lots of sauce
Ziti
Cottage cheese
Mozzarella
Swiss
Repeat above layer
Lots of fresh parsley
And finally, for those who can’t get enough cheese…..provolone.

I don’t think I ever had leftovers with this one.

---

OH you just knew someone who likes ziti would take this thread and run with it - I've been sitting on this recipe for a long time and haven't made it yet and don't know where it came from.....

* Exported from MasterCook *

French Onion "Soup" Mac and Cheese

Topping:
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Bechamel Sauce:
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk or half-and-half
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces Gruyere -- grated
3 ounces mozzarella grated
-----
French Onion "Soup":
2 tablespoons butter -- plus 1 tablespoon (or nonstick spray)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 large white onions -- thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic -- peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup dry sherry
2 cups beef stock
8 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
-----
1 pound pasta -- cooked al dente (elbow macaroni, ziti, or fusilli work well)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Topping: Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl and set aside.

Bechamel Sauce: Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over low heat in a medium saucepan. Add the flour and stir to combine. Stir constantly, for about 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium and whisk in the milk or half-and-half, adding a little at a time and cook until thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes.

Lower heat, season with the salt and pepper and add Gruyere and mozzarella cheeses. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Set aside.

French Onion "Soup:" Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Add onions, cover, and cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove cover, add garlic and honey, and continue to cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Season with salt and a generous amount of pepper. Remove pot from heat and add sherry. Return to heat and stir to remove browned bits from bottom of pan. Reduce sherry by half, then add stock and thyme and cook until almost all liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat.

Grease a 3-quart baking dish or casserole with the last tablespoon of butter or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Combine cooked pasta with onion "soup" mixture and bechamel sauce, and stir well to combine. Transfer pasta to baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumb/Parmesan topping.

Bake until top is golden brown and cheese is bubbly, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Baked Ziti Recipe? by cjs (Oh man, it’s been ye...)
You know, this thread reminded me of Pioneer Woman's Mac and Cheese recipe with bacon and caramelized onions and I had decided to make that next week. But you sent that one right over the top with this! Going on the menu! This sounds divine!
Daphne