Cantonese Duck ala Denise
  Re: (...)
Ok so last night I did the Cantonese Duck that Jean posted. I started with a 4.5 pound duck.

[Image: Inthebeginning.jpg]

One thing I had not calculated was excess weight. First off it came with a packet of orange sauce that weighed 9 oz, plus all the giblets and neck which were another 8 oz. So over 1 pound was unusable.

All of the ingredients you'll need for one tasty dish.

[Image: Alltheingredients.jpg]

So as the directions said, hang the duck for 5 hours in a cool location to dry. I hung mine for 7 hours in the garage and was glad it was cool. I put a fan on it to help dry it.

[Image: Hungfor15minutes.jpg]

I continued to add the glaze for 3-4 more applications as the previous one dried.

This is after 4 coats.

[Image: Hangingfor3hours.jpg]

As I mentioned I wanted to put in the oven but discovered that my oven wasn't big enough to hang it, or, even put it at a decent angle. So I had to quickly adapt and used my smoker. But being so cold outside I could not get it up to 400 degrees to start so the whole thing cooked at 350.

Into the smoker it goes -

[Image: Intothesmoker.jpg]

After 30 minutes I basted it with a fresh batch of glaze. It said to use the remaining glaze, but I couldn't use it as it had been exposed to raw duck in the initial application. Next time I'll pour half of the glaze into a fresh container to use during cooking.

It cooked for 1 hour and 20 minutes -

[Image: CantoneseDuck.jpg]

I made a stir fry of noodles, snow peas and carrots and used a sauce similar to sweet and sour.

[Image: Duckwithsweetnoodles2.jpg]

This is a wonderful dish!! I was very leary about having the duck hanging out a temperature higher than 40 degrees. We're always told to refrigerate! But after 7 hours of hanging it was fine. I don't know that I would try this in the summer time. Would probably leave it uncovered in the fridge if that were the case.

This was Derek's first duck exposure and he loved it!
  Re: Cantonese Duck ala Denise by DFen911 (Ok so last night I d...)
Denise, it looks like it turned out fantastic. Great job!
Thanks for the tips. I love duck so we'll have to try this. What did you use for a glaze?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cantonese Duck ala Denise by Mare749 (Denise, it looks lik...)
Wow! Very thorough Denise. Looks like fun and wonderful to try.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Cantonese Duck ala Denise by luvnit (Wow! Very thorough D...)
I'm so glad it turned out for you - we sure loved it. Did you have leftover? I think I made a pizza with some of the l/os. and it was wonderful.

I just boiled the l/o baste and used it while the duck was roasting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cantonese Duck ala Denise by cjs (I'm so glad it turne...)
Oh Yum, it looks so delish! Thanks for the duck lesson
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cantonese Duck ala Denise by farnfam (Oh Yum, it looks so ...)
Here's the initial thread on Cantonese Duck - it'll be helpful for all of us to have these two together!!

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...part=1&vc=1
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cantonese Duck ala Denise by cjs (Here's the initial t...)
Denise that Duck looks incredible. I wish I had my smoker.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cantonese Duck ala Denise by Harborwitch (Denise that Duck loo...)
Maryann the glaze is in that recipe. It's just honey, rice vinegar, sugar and a bit of water. Oh I also cut down the amount of water. It calls for 1 cup I think 3/4 cup is better. Not as runny.

Lol leftovers were eaten that night as a snack Jean
  Re: Re: Cantonese Duck ala Denise by Harborwitch (Denise that Duck loo...)
That is a work of art!
  Re: Re: Cantonese Duck ala Denise by Trixxee (That is a work of ar...)
Thanks for the tutorial, Denise! It looks FABULOUS!!!!! William is going to pitch a fit!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.