Making Sauerkraut
  Re: (...)
Bought a 1/2 gallon sauerkraut maker for SIL and it was so cute I wound up ordering one for myself.
I was surprised how much cabbage the little thing took. So, it's all grated, mixed with salt and packed inside the little jar with it's airlock thingy on.
Has to stand 4 days at room temp. I've been nibbling on the little bits that didn't fit in the jar and they are tasty
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Making Sauerkraut by farnfam (Bought a 1/2 gallon ...)
Oh my, we haven't made saurkraut since we left Calif. I love homemade!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Sauerkraut by cjs (Oh my, we haven't ma...)
Homemade is the best! I love sauerkraut.

I know I heard an old joke, something like:

Q: How do you make a sauerkraut?

A: You take away his beer.

I know there is a grammar thing there, but if you say it with a German accent it makes more sense. If you say it with a drunken German accent is sounds rather intelligent.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Making Sauerkraut by luvnit (Homemade is the best...)
that's funny, Laura.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Sauerkraut by cjs ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
That's cool, Cis! William loves the stuff! I keep thinking I might like it was homemade.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Making Sauerkraut by Gourmet_Mom (That's cool, Cis! W...)
I love sauerkraut (and it is good for you) and would love to learn how to make my own. Do you need the special equipment to make it?
  Re: Re: Making Sauerkraut by Cubangirl (I love sauerkraut (a...)
I bought my jar from a place called therawdiet.com Using the food processor to grate it and the jar to ferment it, I saved alot of mess. That's the special equipment I used and it wasn't very expensive, so I thought it was worth it. Alls it took was cabbage and salt for ingredients.
I first saw it on foodgawker and this was the website that got me thinking about it:
http://www.noveleats.com/rawfood/how-to-...auerkraut/
See what you think
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Making Sauerkraut by farnfam (I bought my jar from...)
Thanks, I ordered the jar and am copying the site info to Living Cookbook, pictures and all.
  Re: Re: Making Sauerkraut by Cubangirl ( Thanks, I ordered t...)
I noticed in the site you mentioned Cis, that the sauerkraut didn't get 'sour' enough. I had a friend that used to make it and immediately put it in canning jars to ferment (without the air lock) and it just never tasted sour enough.

The only way I've made it that the end result was exactly what we wanted was in a large crock, with a plate and weights submerging the cabbage under the liquid and lightly covered. I wonder if the enzymes (?) or bacteria, whatever in the air aids in the fermentation?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Sauerkraut by cjs (I noticed in the sit...)
Quote:

I noticed in the site you mentioned Cis, that the sauerkraut didn't get 'sour' enough. I had a friend that used to make it and immediately put it in canning jars to ferment (without the air lock) and it just never tasted sour enough.

The only way I've made it that the end result was exactly what we wanted was in a large crock, with a plate and weights submerging the cabbage under the liquid and lightly covered. I wonder if the enzymes (?) or bacteria, whatever in the air aids in the fermentation?

Absolutly!!

Fermentation requires air and microbes--saurkraut has "terroir" requirments of a sort too.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".