Lab's B-day Review Dinner Menu - 1/31/11 Review
  Re: (...)
Lab's I propose we review this on January 31st after your birthday instead of the 24th, which is before your birthday. That gives us 3 weeks. Here are your recipes as requested from Cuisine at Home Issue 85, February 2011:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mango & Bell Pepper Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups mango -- chopped (fresh or jarred)
1/2 red onion -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup orange bell pepper -- diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper
1/2 cup green bell pepper
1/4 cup cilantro -- chopped
3 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
salt and pepper -- to taste

Combine mangoes, onion, bell peppers, and cilantro in a bowl.

Stir in orange and lime juices, then season with salt and pepper.

page 13

Grape Pickers' Skillet with Chicken

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

10 ounces bacon strips
2 tablespoons fresh thyme -- minced
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes -- peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 cup Gruyere cheese -- shaved and divided
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken -- cooked and shredded
1 cup leeks -- sliced
1 tablespoon garlic -- minced

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Line an 8-inch cast-iron skillet with bacon, covering the bottom and the sides and leaving a third of each strip hanging over the sides. Sprinkle thyme over bacon.

Layer half the potatoes onto bacon and thyme, covering the entire surface. Sprinkle 1/4 cup Gruyere over potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Repeat layering with chicken and 1/4 cup Gruyere. Continue layering with leeks, garlic, remaining potato slices, salt, pepper, and remaining Gruyere.

Fold hanging pieces of bacon strips to the center of skillet, covering entire top. Transfer skillet to stove top and cook over medium heat, 10 minutes.

Cover skillet with foil, transfer to oven, and roast 30 minutes. Remove foil and roast until bacon is crisp and potatoes are fork-tender, 30 minutes more. Let meal rest 10 minutes, then drain drippings and loosen edges to serve.
(Reviewer's Note: Length of time - (1 hour in a cast iron skillet) - work perfectly)

pages 36-37

Churros with hot chocolate

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 gallon vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 orange zested
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup brandy
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons cornstarch
4 ounces semisweet chocolate -- finely chopped

Heat oil in a a large pot over high until it registers 350 degrees on a candy/deep-fry thermometer.

For the churros, combine 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom in a wide shallow dish; set aside.

Heat butter, water, 2 tsp. sugar, salt, and zest in a small saute pan over medium. When mixture begins to boil, stir in flour until dough pulls away from sides of pan. Cook 1 minute more; transfer to a bowl.

Beat dough 30 seconds with a hand mixer on medium speed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated and dough is shiny before adding the next. Transfer dough to a piping bag fitted with a medium star-shaped tip. Let dough cool while making hot chocolate.

For the hot chocolate, reduce brandy in a small saucepan over high heat until almost dry, 7-9 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add cream and 1/4 cup sugar, whisking to combine. Heat mixture until it bubbles around the edges.

Whisk together milk and cornstarch, then slowly pour into pan with cream and sugar; bring to a simmer and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth; set aside.

Pipe 3 inch-long strips of dough into hot oil. Slice dough from end of piping tip with a knife dipped into frying oil. Fry churros until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes total, then remove from fryer and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Immediately coat churros in spiced sugar mixture.

Serve churros and hot chocolate immediately.

Description:
"Choose a star-shaped piping tip for the churros that is 1/2-inch wide at the piping end. Their cook time depends on the size of tip you use."

page 51

I'm in for the skillet dish for sure!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Lab's B-day Review Dinner Menu - 1/31/11 Review by Gourmet_Mom (Lab's I propose we r...)
That sounds really good. I'm in, except maybe not for the churros. They sound addictive!

I think this dish will need to be watched carefully. 450F oven seems a bit hot.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Lab's B-day Review Dinner Menu by Mare749 (That sounds really g...)
Well they also stated with the Skillet recipe that the bacon tends to stick to the bottom, so I am going to try some parchment.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Lab's B-day Review Dinner Menu by luvnit (Well they also state...)
Another note, I just noticed is that they recommend thin sliced bacon, because thick sliced won't cook in the alloted time. AND they suggest subbing root vegetables, like rutabaga and celery root, for stand-ins for the potatoes.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Lab's B-day Review Dinner Menu by Gourmet_Mom (Another note, I just...)
Thanks Laura, great idea!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Lab's B-day Review Dinner Menu by Gourmet_Mom (Another note, I just...)
Wow! That all sounds great! Even though it's a mystery what the chicken dish has to do with grapes or "grape pickers" and is nothing like the Greek dish I mentioned earlier (that had whole, seedless green grapes IN the baked dish, under the melted cheese), it does sound delicious. I'm glad they suggested other root vegetables in place of the Yukon gold potatoes. That means it should be okay to use the potatoes we have here (where Yukon golds are not available).

Maryann, churros ARE addictive!

Laura, good idea for the parchment. Think I'll do that, too.

Daphne, the 31st is fine by me. That could even give us a short-notice (since it's already the 10th), mid-month review (maybe the 17th), if enough people are interested and someone wishes to propose something we'd all be able to handle by then. Maybe we could post all three of the nacho recipes and each choose one to review (perhaps not even saying our choices until we actually post the reviews). Just an idea.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Lab's B-day Review Dinner Menu by Mare749 (Thanks Laura, great ...)
I've been eyeing these recipes. Yum! And it's something I can do in the coach!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Lab's B-day Review Dinner Menu by Harborwitch (I've been eyeing the...)
Oh man, I'm so in!! Including the churros - (remember Scarlet's philosophy????? )

We'll be home on the 21st, so that gives me plenty of time. Thanks Daphne for posting all these.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lab's B-day Review Dinner Menu by cjs (Oh man, I'm so in!! ...)
Sorry, I left out the intro for the skillet dish. "Named for the "peasant" dish of layered potatoes encased in bacon, this dish was a favorite of grape pickers in France's Burgaundy region."
Daphne
  Re: Re: Lab's B-day Review Dinner Menu by Gourmet_Mom (Sorry, I left out th...)
That menu sounds delicious. I'm definitely in! I also like the idea of a quick nacho review. With football playoffs next weekend, I'm pretty sure I'll be trying some of the nachos anyway.