Almondmilk
  Re: (...)
I never thought I would post somthing like this--I'm a butter, heavy cream, meat lover!! A card carrying carnivore!!
Almondmilk is wonderful--just a little more expensive than 2% cows milk. No saturated fat, cholesterol free, rich in Vit E and D, excellent source of calcium, half the calories of 2% milk, and great on cereal. Jane and I tried a small glass straight--creamy, milky, and nutty--and better than milk on cereal. I can't wait to try it with peanut butter!! Maybe not a total replacement for cows milk, but worth a try. The Wall Street Journal did a report on this. That's where I picked up on it.

P.S. Lactose and Gluten free!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Almondmilk by Old Bay (I never thought I wo...)
Hubby is lactose intolerant and recently switched from Soy to Almond on the recommendation of Oldest Daughter - also lactose intolerant. I use it on cold cereal. Oldest Daughter says the chocolate flavor is addictive!
  Re: Re: Almondmilk by HomeCulinarian (Hubby is lactose int...)
Good stuff. A friend, here, makes walnut milk, which is also tasty. Neither is available already packaged, here, and the cost of the nuts for making them from scratch is prohibitively expensive for me, so I haven't taken to making them very often. Another problem with making them from scratch (same for soy milk) is that you don't get the calcium, vitamin D or other nutrients that the packaged ones add.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Almondmilk by labradors (Good stuff. A frien...)
how interesting, Bill.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Almondmilk by cjs (how interesting, Bil...)
Cool! I'll pass this on to the kids. We aren't big milk drinkers, but next time the kids are around I'll pick some up...if I can find it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Almondmilk by Old Bay (I never thought I wo...)
Almond milk is great - but for somethings you still need cows. I bought some hoping to make ice cream and a few other things, couldn't find a great recipe but the low fat content evidently doesn't lend itself to some things.

I loved the flavor though. I think it would make great hot chocolate.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Almondmilk by Harborwitch (Almond milk is great...)
I use Rice Milk as I avoid all soy products. Bill if you get the Almond butter be sure to get the roasted. You will love it! Derek is allergic to peanuts so that is what we use in place of peanut butter in all things.

I've been using the rice milk for a while now in just about everything. I haven't tried the almond milk as they only have the chocolate at the store I shop at.
  Re: Re: Almondmilk by DFen911 (I use Rice Milk as I...)
I need to get more soy in my diet (opposite of you, Denise), so as I was searching for soy milk I did come across almond milk. I never knew that it even existed.

I bought the vanilla soy milk and it tastes great in coffee and is excellent on cereal. DH is still hesitant to try it, though.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Almondmilk by DFen911 (I use Rice Milk as I...)
We try to avoid as much soy as we can. I suppose it's not so much for Bob - but my Oncologist said to limit it. I'd rather save my soy intake for the occasional edamame in a stir fry and some soy sauce.

Bill, did we send you a jar of sunflower butter??? That stuff is just beyond good. I've got one last jar stashed - then I have to try to find a source out here.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Almondmilk by Harborwitch (We try to avoid as m...)
Quote:

We try to avoid as much soy as we can. I suppose it's not so much for Bob - but my Oncologist said to limit it. I'd rather save my soy intake for the occasional edamame in a stir fry and some soy sauce.

Bill, did we send you a jar of sunflower butter??? That stuff is just beyond good. I've got one last jar stashed - then I have to try to find a source out here.

Yes, it was delicious!!! Very distinctive flavor. We can't find it here.
We limit our soy intake for oncological reasons too.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".