Breakfast Casserole Recipe?
  Re: (...)
I have volunteered to make this for 20 for an event in early February. I have a basic recipe, and I know to use a good cheese (Gouda or Fontina?), a good homemade bread (thanks for the new fav, Cis), and a good sausage. But does anyone have a recipe that includes some other flavors that they would recommend? I need something that sits overnight. I'll have to serve it at 8:30 am at a 20 minute distance from the house. I REALLY don't want to get up REAL early....7 am is my limit. So if it's not an overnight premake, it needs to come together in about 20 minutes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Breakfast Casserole Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (I have volunteered t...)
Sounds like you are asking for more ingredients rather than a recipe. I like to add Italian seasoning, onion, pepper, and mushrooms to mine. The overnight soaking works well.

I have a few good ones that are more french toast oriented too......rather than savory.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Breakfast Casserole Recipe? by chef_Tab (Sounds like you are ...)
This strata was a bit hit at our family reunion. It would work well with sausage instead of ham, and the goat cheese, oregano, and rosemary add just enough of a different note to make it really interesting.

* Exported for MasterCook 4 by Living Cookbook *

Christmas Strata

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 oz ham, chopped
3 1/2 cups whole millk (do not use lowfat or nonfat)
8 large eggs
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 lb french bread, crusts removed, cut in 1" cubes
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup fontina cheese, grated
1/4 cup Montrachet cheese (optional)
chopped fresh parsley

1. Butter 13x9x2 inch pan. Whisk milk, eggs, rosemary, oregano, salt and
pepper in large bowl to blend. Add ham, onion, pbread, and parmesean cheese
and stir to blend. Transfer to baking dish and refrigerate at leat 4 hours
or overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 375. Bake strata until puffed and golden brown, about 45
minutes. Sprinkle with fontina (and goat cheese, if desired) and bake until
fontina melts, about 5 minutes. Transfer pan to rack and cool 5 minutes
before serving. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
How about a hash-brown casserole with grated potatoes (or store-bought hash browns or "tater tots"), cheese, sausage and eggs? What could be more "breakfast" than eggs, hash browns and sausage?

On the other hand, unless you start with just-cooked (or at the very least, room-temperature) ingredients, casseroles usually take longer than 20 minutes to cook. Perhaps, if you have a Crock Pot, you could do just the opposite of how it would most frequently be used: instead of tossing everything into it in the morning and letting it cook all day so it will be ready when you get home from work, you'd toss everything into it just before bedtime and letting it cook all night so it will be ready to take with you in the morning.

Out of curiosity, I searched for "crock pot breakfast casserole" in Google and found the following:

Breakfast Casserole
Serves 6

Ingredients:
  • 1 bag (32 oz.) of frozen southern style hashbrown potatoes
  • 1 pound of bacon cut into pieces, fried and drained.
  • 1 pound sausage, crumbled, browned and drained
  • 1/2 cup diced onions
  • 1 green pepper diced
  • 3/4 pound cheddar cheese diced
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • salt & pepper
Instructions:
  1. Layer the frozen potatoes, bacon, onions, green pepper and cheese in the crockpot in two or three layers.
  2. Finish up with cheese.
  3. Beat the eggs, milk and mustard, salt & pepper together.
  4. Pour over the whole mixture.
  5. Cook on low for ten to twelve hours.
The reviews for it were good, though some said it could use more flavour and some mentioned additions (e.g. jalapeƱos in the casserole or salsa on the side). It could be a starter for other ideas, too.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
I'm with Theresa, I love pepper and mushroom in it, and I usually use gruyere.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Breakfast Casserole Recipe? by Lorraine (I'm with Theresa, I ...)
Darn, I do have one I used to do for caterings - if my brain will cooperate, maybe I'll think of it as we ride along today...it's a good one and I know it's on here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Breakfast Casserole Recipe? by cjs (Darn, I do have one ...)
Daphne, I think you have gotten or already have this recipe. But I will include it anyway. I did make another version this Christmas that sounded so good, but it really was a little light on flavor. Everyone really just liked the sausage one better. The one I made had Sundried tomatoes and mozzarella, parmesean, and basil. It was good, just a little bland.

I also change up the cheese in this one sometimes. It would be good with ham and a pepper jack too.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sausage Casserole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 pounds sausage
6 slices white bread -- cubed
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
6 large egg
3 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard

Brown sausage and drain.

beat eggs, milk, salt and mustard

Layer bread, sausage and cheese in a 9x13 pan

pour egg mix over layers. Let stand in refrigerator overnight

Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes.

Description:
"Great for breakfast or brunch - freezes pretty well"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Breakfast Casserole Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (I have volunteered t...)
I couldn't find it, but wasn't there an Apple Cheddar bread puddding on here a while back. It was wonderful as it was - and I think tossing some bacon in would just gild the lily!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Breakfast Casserole Recipe? by Harborwitch (I couldn't find it, ...)
Daphne, I'd be surpised if you don't have this one in the bowels of your files, somewhere!

GOAT CHEESE, ARTICHOKE, AND SMOKED HAM STRATA

Here's the thread for it. (and some other goat cheese goodies)

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post87220
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Breakfast Casserole Recipe? by Harborwitch (I couldn't find it, ...)
I haven't tried the Apple Cheddar one. I do have it, but I haven't been able wrap my brain around apples and cheese....some of my old aversion to cheese thing coming out, I think.

Since I need to make two, I may try the Strata. I wonder if the sausage would overwhelm the seasonings, though?

Thanks for the Crock pot idea, Labs. If I get to try that one ahead, it may work.

I've got a question, though. I can't remember how I've done it before, but isn't there a danger of cracking the dish putting it in a preheated oven? The time is not a real problem. I had planned to pre-bake it while getting ready. Then I'll finish it off when we get there.

Jean, if you figure it out, please post it. I've got a couple of weeks to decide.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.