Lite sauces- new issue (#85)
  Re: (...)
Well, I spent 3 hours at the stove today, trying out the three new sauces. Overall, pretty good. With the Alfredo, I would saute the onion first, in the olive oil, then add the flour for the roux. Just a bit too much raw onion flavor for me, when you throw it all in the blender with all the dairy. I think I'd also saute the garlic along with the onion. Maybe it's all in my head

The spicy tomato vodka was excellent. I added the red pepper flakes in small quantities to start. I think I ended up using the 1.5 t, but I've learned to start off light. And, I didn't use pepperoni. I wanted to keep it "clean" so I could add shrimp as I used it. Oh, and I didn't measure the vodka, you know, one for the pot, one for me and so on. Probably added another 1/4c.

The bolognese was good, too. I shouldn't have used a half cup of neufchatel, as the recipe stated. I wondered about this but did it anyways. It's just a bit sweeter than I wanted. But still good.

My favorite was the vodka sauce. Will keep these recipes. Now I have a freezer full of sauces for the kids when they stop in.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Lite sauces- new issue (#85) by pjcooks (Well, I spent 3 hour...)
Thanx for the reviews PJ. I was planning to try the Vodka sauce and the bolognese soon. Not a fan of "light" Alfredo - it usually disappoints.
  Re: Re: Lite sauces- new issue (#85) by HomeCulinarian (Thanx for the review...)
Nice job, PJ! I don't care for alfredos- lite or regular, so no biggy for me, but glad to have the notes on the others.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Lite sauces- new issue (#85) by chef_Tab (Nice job, PJ! I don'...)
Thanks, PJ! I was interested in all three, also. I'll save your notes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lite sauces- new issue (#85) by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, PJ! I was i...)
Home and have the new issue in my hot little hands to look at tomorrow mornng with coffee.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lite sauces- new issue (#85) by cjs (Home and have the ne...)
I made the bolognese tonight for dinner, but there were a lot of changes. I guess that the biggest ones were adding more veggies (and mushrooms), subbing pureed lowfat ricotta for the cottage cheese (it's what I had on hand) and no neufchathel. It was really good (when asked how it was, DH said "the only thing I would add is that you'd make it more often")

The spicy vodka sauce is next on the list. Can I follow your lead, PJ? Only instead of vodka for me, it will be a bit o' rum...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Lite sauces- new issue (#85) by foodfiend (I made the bolognese...)
Quote:

Can I follow your lead, PJ? Only instead of vodka for me, it will be a bit o' rum...

Be my guest
PJ