Yangchow Fried Rice
  Re: (...)
Jean, I hope you don't mind. I decided this needed to have it's own thread so I can find it easier later.

I want to thank you for this recipe! It was SO fast and easy. I had my rice done from where I'd planned to make it yesterday, so dinner was done in about 15 minutes...start to finish! This will be a regular from now on. I'll be sure to make my rice the night before while I'm fixing dinner.

Take note Maryann! My fried rice is now in third place. According to William, this recipe is now second to Y's! Although, I added a whole pound of shrimp, so that may have made it a little different. And then there is no ham in hers. I'm wondering if you used the BBQ pork, if it wouldn't be pretty close to Y's. But this is still awesome!

Yangchow Fried Rice (from Jean)

Yangchow fried rice is one of the classic dishes served at a Chinese banquet; customarily toward the end of the meal. The dish originated in eastern China, in
Yangchow, but it is popular throughout China. It is lightly seasoned and deliberately does not have any soy sauce so that the rice grains remain white. Yangchow fried rice is prized for its clean and fresh flavors. The Cantonese make this rice with Chinese Barbecued Pork (page 285), in place of the ham.

2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
4 ounces small shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 cups cold cooked Classic Rice (page 283) (I used brown rice)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup 1/4-inch diced baked or boiled ham (1/2 cup would be plenty)
1/2 cup chopped scallions
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl in 1 tablespoon of the oil, add the shrimp, then, using a metal spatula, stir-fry 1 minute or until the shrimp just turn orange but are not cooked through.

Swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, add the rice and peas, and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes, breaking up the rice with the spatula until it is heated through. Add the ham and scallions, sprinkle on the salt and pepper, and stir-fry 1 minute or until the shrimp are cooked and the mixture is well combined.

Serves 2 to 3 as a main dish or 4 as part of a multi-course meal. (My note: Using a whole pound of shrimp would serve 4 as a main dish.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Yangchow Fried Rice by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I hope you don...)
I love this one also!! so glad you gave it its own thread to find it again. Thanks Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Yangchow Fried Rice by cjs (I love this one also...)
Incredibly easy for my sons to make a meal in short order, just a toss around to wok for a minute or so, and they are well fed.
  Re: Re: Yangchow Fried Rice by vannin (Incredibly easy for ...)
You had me at shrimp
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Yangchow Fried Rice by farnfam (You had me at shrimp...)
Cis, this is sooooo good! I used Basamati(sp?) rice, and it worked great. Unlike any other fried rice, this reheated GREAT! And having the rice done ahead, this is such a FAST, EASY dinner!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.