Pork Tenderloin
  Re: (...)
Ok so tonight tried a new flavor profile. Derek is gone on a road trip with his dad so I'm flying solo.

1 pork tenderloin - butterflied open
2 leeks (white and light green parts) cut in half lengthwise then very very thinly sliced (half moons).
2 cloves of garlic - minced (do not be tempted to add more. I started with 4 and decided 2 was plenty and I'm a garlic lover)
1/4 c currants (I buy them by the box like raisins)
1/4 cup apple juice
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400F. In a medium fry pan (long enough to hold the tenderloin) add 2 tbl olive oil and the sliced leeks and garlic. saute over medium low heat to get the leeks very tender. Deglaze with the apple juice and add the currants. Turn the heat off, and put a lid on the pan and remove from the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. This will plump the currants.

Salt and pepper the inside of the tenderloin and spread the mixture inside. Tie up tightly with twine. Salt and pepper the outside.

Now this may sound odd, but the same pan the leeks cooked in get it hot again. Not as hot as you would for sear because the apple juice that is left over will start to burn. Brown the tenderloin on all sides. It will brown up nicely due the caramelization of the sugars.

Pull and place on a rack on a cookie sheet and put into 400F oven for 30 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes. Remove string and slice. It's a great combination of sweet and salty.
  Re: Pork Tenderloin by DFen911 (Ok so tonight tried ...)
Have always said that raisin distributors should have their own newsletter named Currant Events.

LOVE leeks! Since you've tried this combination, how do you think this would do with raisins or sultanas if I can't find currants?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pork Tenderloin by labradors (Have always said tha...)
I think I would do sultanas. Mainly because they are a bit sweeter. For some reason I think regular raisins lose a lot of their sweetness when cooked. So the golden raisins will have a bit extra to start with.
  Re: Re: Pork Tenderloin by DFen911 (I think I would do s...)
Cool! Thanks. I'll look for currants first, but I know I saw some sultanas the last time I was there.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pork Tenderloin by labradors (Cool! Thanks. I'll...)
Sounds really good, Denise - what was your side dish???

Derek's off? Roy tried to call you.............
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Tenderloin by cjs (Sounds really good, ...)
Sounds good Denise.

Sometimes a little "alone time" is good. You can experiment with all kinds of good things.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pork Tenderloin by Harborwitch (Sounds good Denise. ...)
I told Derek to call him too!! Men!

For the side dish I did a baked potato and left over slaw from the ribs.
  Re: Re: Pork Tenderloin by DFen911 (I told Derek to call...)
This sounds good, Denise. I did something similar recently with Craisins. It was a Taste of Home recipe. The big difference was that the recipe called for bread crumbs added to this mixture. It was then stuffed into a split turkey breast. I'll have to try your version....like the absence of the bread.

Like Labs, I don't think I'll find the currants either. What do you think of the Craisins as a sub?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pork Tenderloin by Gourmet_Mom (This sounds good, De...)
I thought about craisins, but thought they'd be too tart or clash with the apple juice. Now I live in the ghetto of food availability. I have 1 grocery store But they carry currants right next to the raisins They are by Sunmaid too and are in an orange colored box.

I took some of the left overs and chopped it up and put it on a piece of crusty bread that I toasted slightly, then put the pork on and sprinkled a tad of monterey jack and broiled again till it was melted (I'll pay for that tomorrow) and it was so darn good!
  Re: Re: Pork Tenderloin by DFen911 (I thought about crai...)
So you would go with the golden raisins over the Craisins? It's weird...I just have a "thing" about raisins. Now that I've tried cooking with Craisins, maybe it's time to revisit raisins. It's an old "love/hate" relationship. The same is true for dried prunes. For years, those were the only sweet treats at my house. I learned to hate them!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.