What Did We Want For a B'day Dinner As Kids??
  Re: (...)
Allison and Labs were talking in Lab's Birthday thread about what they liked for birthday dinner and indulgences... I think it would be fun to find out what we chose as kids for our special day?

Mine was always Breaded Veal, Creamed corn and chocolate cake with chocolate icing.

One year, after she had hurried home to get the rest of dinner going, she turned the oven on while she was changing her clothes - but, forgot she had hidden my cake in the oven that morning when she finished it! It was on a melted plastic cake platter, but we ate the cake anyway!!

Your turn............
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What Did We Want For a B'day Dinner As Kids?? by cjs (Allison and Labs wer...)
Making it official for the thread:

Beef stroganoff with scalloped potatoes. For dessert, a Carvel ice-cream cake.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What Did We Want For a B'day Dinner As Kids?? by labradors (Making it official f...)
My birthday is in August so my dad spent a lot of time fishing the Long Island Sound in the summers so anything he caught. Flounder, bluefish, etc. With chicken rice-a-roni and corn on the cob. And devil's food cake (just from a mix).

But how I love Carvel! It's been 38 years since we moved to CA with no Carvel but I can still taste their vanilla soft serve and their shakes. THE BEST. The one we went to a lot was practically on top of a Friendly's but I always opted for Carvel.
  Re: What Did We Want For a B'day Dinner As Kids?? by cjs (Allison and Labs wer...)
Quote:

Mine was always Breaded Veal

My brother's birthday meal was veal parmigiana and that was ok with me!
  Re: Re: What Did We Want For a B'day Dinner As Kids?? by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I can't think of anything special for the dinner.

I know my Mom would spend weeks (sometimes) making decorations for my "party". All the party favors matched the cake she'd decorate. But with a birthday in August . . . I guess it's not a great memory event for me.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What Did We Want For a B'day Dinner As Kids?? by Harborwitch (I can't think of any...)
I always picked schnitzel for dinner. And my mom always made a cherry chip cake in the shape of a heart for dessert. I still miss how special she made me feel.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What Did We Want For a B'day Dinner As Kids?? by chef_Tab (I always picked schn...)
Teehee, my mother was more of a "non" cook. For birthday dinners we would go out for Chinese food. I would always pick Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, it came with Fried Rice and an Eggroll. Then chocolate ice cream for dessert
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What Did We Want For a B'day Dinner As Kids?? by farnfam (Teehee, my mother wa...)
It is funny, I don't really remember a particular birthday dinner. I do remember lots of chocolate cakes with chocolate icing.

Now I usually request take out chinese or thai food - so I don't have to cook!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What Did We Want For a B'day Dinner As Kids?? by esgunn (It is funny, I don'...)
I remember one year asking for Beef Burgundy because my mom had made it for company and I thought it sounded fancy. Other than that, I don't remember my dinner requests much, but I always wanted pumpkin pie for dessert. Still do!
  Re: Re: What Did We Want For a B'day Dinner As Kids?? by HomeCulinarian (I remember one year ...)
Oh Jeannette - I'm so with you on Pumpkin pie!!!

It's funny how things go in different families - and it might have been because my mom 'didn't have a pot to 'p**' in, but boy could she cook anything from nothing, but I remember B'day dinners more than my presents.

I think my kids kinda felt the same way, they would worry over for days what to have on their special day. Madmax - always had to have Beerox (or Bierox)!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com