Another Cheese Delimma!
  Re: (...)
I need 3/4 c Gruyere for the Skillet dinner, but the store in town stopped carrying it for some insane reason. I foolishly bought fresh Mozzarella, thinking half the cheese was Mozz and thought to sub all Mozz...DUH. Okay, here's the deal...I have maybe half a cup of Swiss, a decent amount of block Mozzarella, a BUNCH of Parm, and a decent amount of Vermont White Cheddar. I know to use what Swiss I have, but what do I sub for the rest? I'm thinking the block Mozzarella, but I don't know for sure.

I seriously need to make that French Onion Mac and Cheese dish Jean mentioned the other day and use up all this leftover cheese!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Another Cheese Delimma! by Gourmet_Mom (I need 3/4 c Gruyere...)
I would use the swiss and cheddar
  Re: Another Cheese Delimma! by Gourmet_Mom (I need 3/4 c Gruyere...)
Since Gruyère IS a Swiss cheese, go for the Swiss.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Another Cheese Delimma! by labradors (Since Gruyère IS a S...)
But Labs...I don't have enough!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Another Cheese Delimma! by Gourmet_Mom (But Labs...I don't h...)
Oops! I misread the quantity issue as having been for one of the other types. In that case, I'm with Denise for the cheddar, as long as it's not the type of cheddar that gets very oily. If, by "Vermont white cheddar," you mean Cabot,then definitely go for it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Another Cheese Delimma! by labradors (Oops! I misread the...)
Yes, it's Cabot. But I lucked up! I misjudged the Swiss! I got enough for the dinner! It sure doesn't look like enough cheese to me, but who knows. I'll let you know Monday!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Another Cheese Delimma! by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, it's Cabot. Bu...)
I'd go with Denise's suggestion, but add a little Parm for sharpness also. YUM

" French Onion Mac and Cheese dish Jean mentioned the other day" - geez, I did????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another Cheese Delimma! by cjs (I'd go with Denise's...)
I was going to say what Denise and Jean said. Swiss, cheddar and parm for extra flavor. Reminds me of a mac n cheese we like to make that uses a cheese that's kind of like a cross between gruyere and cheddar!
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Another Cheese Delimma! by cheesemonger (I was going to say w...)
Probbly too late to add my 2 cents, but Swiss and Cheddar would have been my choice and parm for zing. That's what I'd tell you to do.....but for me, I'd add Bleu or Gorganzola
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Another Cheese Delimma! by cheesemonger (I was going to say w...)
Oh dear! How many versions of mac and cheese can I make in a week?!?!? I'm feeling the need to make a regular with some gruyere and the cheddar AND the French Onion version. Maybe one Monday and the other Friday with a steak! Yea, that's it!

Now, Allison, about that recipe.....
Daphne