HELP! Too much cabbage!
  Re: (...)
Wow! Did I make a BIG mistake at the grocery store, today! I was in one grocery store, where some things are better than at the other main grocery store, saw the cabbage, and remembered that the recipe for that "All-You-Can-Eat Soup" said it made a lot, but I didn't have the recipe with me. I decided to get the cabbage there and to get most of everything else at the other store tomorrow or Wednesday.

Well, as I said, I remembered that the recipe said it made a lot of soup and, supposedly, cabbage was supposed to be one of the key ingredients, so I made sure I got a BIG head of cabbage. When I got home and looked at the recipe, however, I discovered that it only called for ONE POUND of cabbage.

So, here I am with a 5-3/4-pound cabbage... Well, you get the picture.

That means I need more recipes for cabbage, but I am NOT looking for stuffed cabbage, sauerkraut, kimchi, slaw or salads. What OTHER ways can that much cabbage be used? Yes, I could just make more of the soup, but FIVE full batches? I think not.

What ideas do you all have?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: HELP! Too much cabbage! by labradors (Wow! Did I make a B...)
I know you don't tolerate shrimp, so you could sub something else for that. Why not Laura's Egg Rolls! You have the recipe, right? If not, I've got it ready to post.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: HELP! Too much cabbage! by labradors (Wow! Did I make a B...)
this isn't very imaginative, but corned beef and cabbage and then hash with the leftovers. Understand that I never remember what kinds of meat you can readily get your hands on.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: HELP! Too much cabbage! by Gourmet_Mom (I know you don't tol...)
Good point: cabbage is used in many type of egg rolls and spring rolls.

Found Laura's recipe and I see that it uses shrimp and pork. I could just use all pork.

Now, maybe Laura can tell us what "1 large head of cabbage or 2 small heads" translates into in terms of pounds and ounces.

Thanks!
  Re: Re: HELP! Too much cabbage! by chef_Tab (this isn't very imag...)
Quote:

this isn't very imaginative, but corned beef and cabbage and then hash with the leftovers. Understand that I never remember what kinds of meat you can readily get your hands on.

So what if it's "not imaginative" - it's tasty!

That IS a great idea, but the only way I make corned beef, here, is to make it myself. It is WONDERFUL, but the process takes about a week, and I'm not sure if the fresh cabbage will keep that long. If it WILL, then I'll consider the corned-beef option depending upon what other suggestions I may receive.

Thanks!
  Re: Re: HELP! Too much cabbage! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I've kept fresh cabbage for several weeks in the refrigerator (in a plastic bag w/a paper towel to absorb excess moisture). The cut end may darken, but just cut it off.

I use it in stir-fries and in minestrone (and, in summer, coleslaw).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: HELP! Too much cabbage! by foodfiend (I've kept fresh cabb...)
Lab's, I thought you tried this recipe already...didn't you?
Daphne
  Re: Re: HELP! Too much cabbage! by Gourmet_Mom (Lab's, I thought you...)
Which recipe, Daphne? The egg rolls? Not that one, but a similar recipe for kumpia.
  Re: Re: HELP! Too much cabbage! by labradors (Which recipe, Daphne...)
Oh, I remembered you posting pictures of egg rolls. I figured it was Laura's, but now that you mention it...I remember it was another recipe...LOL!

I have made Laura's recipe, but for the life of me...I couldn't tell you the weight of the cabbage. It was a LOT though. I also remember thinking that I would prefer making the filling up through draining the filling and freezing it. That way I could fill and fry the egg rolls fresh. The frozen fried egg rolls were okay, but I'd prefer freshly fried. I know this would work, because I made the recipe again and only made half the egg rolls. I sent the rest of the filling home with DD. She froze it and made the egg rolls about a month later. She said they were very good.

I think the use of all pork would work fine, also!
Daphne
  Re: Re: HELP! Too much cabbage! by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I remembered you...)
I've frozen and reheated the lumpia and they turned out very well. I just reheated them on a baking sheet, at a medium-low temperature, in the oven.