What's for Dinner, Thursday - 2/3?
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for tonight?

Not sure here, yet, still thinking on that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday - 2/3? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
I have no idea. Really not feeling inspired. Hope something comes to me soon.

Have a refrigerator full of leftovers, but I think I might save that for tomorrow. Steve is flying tomorrow night, Stephanie is off to her first sleepover after gymnastics. It will just be the boys and I.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday - 2/3? by esgunn (I have no idea. Rea...)
We have tickets to the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis tonight - if they can get here! The center will let us know by 3 PM whether there is to be a show.

So, if there is a show - appies at the center and soup when we get home.
And, if there isn't a show - the scallops dinner I was going to make last night but didn't because we went out for BBQ with some friends instead. Cabin fever had set in and we needed to get out!

Edited to add - just got word that they can't make it here
so it will be scallops for dinner.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday - 2/3? by HomeCulinarian (We have tickets to t...)
"Stephanie is off to her first" - and...it starts, they are growing up.

No Marsallis, what a shame - darn snow.

We're going to split a steak and have a couple prawns - little surf & turf and sweet tato oven fries.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday - 2/3? by cjs ("Stephanie is off to...)
We are headed to the hill country for the first day of our vacation So tonight we will be dining at the Cypress Grill in Boerne, Texas. After tonight at a cute, kitschy hotel, we'll be camping for a couple days. We may be insane considering the weather, but we've been planning this for weeks and are both too stubborn to not go. We are well prepared. So I'll be MIA for the next few days. Stay warm, everybody!
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday - 2/3? by cheesemonger (We are headed to the...)
Safe travels, Allison. It's clean out the fridge night and get rid of all the leftovers.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday - 2/3? by Lorraine (Safe travels, Alliso...)
Oh, I remember the days I would camp in this kind of freakin' weather - but no more..... Have fun and stay safe, Allison.

Well, let me tell you my 'surf & turf' morphed into one of the best dishes we've tried in a long time!!

[Image: CIMG0360.jpg]
This is one of my Grandmother's dishes - (she is on the back cover of a Chef's Journey...Home - "Moremommy" is what we called her.

My Lord, was this tasty!!! Now, to go cook up some Paneer and for our late night snack we'll have a broccoli omelet with it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday - 2/3? by Lorraine (Safe travels, Alliso...)
Have fun, Allison! To be young and foolish again! BRRRRR!

Erin, it's hard to believe they're growing up so fast! A sleep over...OIY!

We were supposed to have the Yangchow Fried Rice, but just as I was typing that, I remembered William had Kim's Spicy Chicken today...DUH! So I'm going with plan B....Shrimp in Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce over pasta and a salad. Glad I remembered and HAD a plan B
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday - 2/3? by Gourmet_Mom (Have fun, Allison! ...)
"Shrimp in Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce"

or..... you might try Chili shrimp

Guess I'd better post the recipe before Sharon whines.....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chili Shrimp

2 pounds large shrimp -- preferably head-on
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons Asian sweet chile sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium jalapeƱos -- seeded and minced
2 garlic cloves -- minced
1 stalk fresh lemongrass -- tender inner white bulb only, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
4 scallions -- thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Steamed rice -- for serving

Using scissors -- cut down the back shell of each shrimp and remove the dark intestinal vein, leaving the shell intact. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, sherry, chile sauce, lemon juice, soy sauce and sugar.

In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. Add the deveined shrimp to the skillet and cook over high heat, turning once, until they start to curl and turn pale pink, about 2 minutes.

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet with the jalapeƱos, garlic, lemongrass and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the scallions and the ketchup mixture and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in the cilantro. Spoon the shrimp onto plates and serve with rice.

Note: next time I will shell the shrimp - I think we lost too much of the 'goop' when having to shell them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Rajat Parr discovered Singaporean chili crabs while cooking at a hotel there and exploring the local street food. When crabs aren't available, he substitutes large shrimp and cooks them in sweet, sticky chile sauce. With the spicy shrimp, Rajat Parr pours a lightly off-dry white because the slight sweetness helps cut the chiles' heat. German Rieslings designated kabinett-an indication of how ripe the grapes were when harvested-are just the thing.

----
this is so good.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday - 2/3? by cjs ("Shrimp in Roasted R...)
Jean, I don't have jalapenos OR lemongrass. I DO have the sweet peppers...should I try it anyway? Also, the shrimp are precooked. I had planned to saute some garlic and toss the shrimp in for a minute to warm them up just before adding to the sauce.

Is that the recipe you used in the surf and turf you pictured above?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.