Thermometers
  Re: (...)
My digital food thermometer just died, and I need to get another one, but I can't afford the vaunted Thermapen. Right now, somewhere around $25 is as much as I can handle.

Which thermometer do you use and which would you recommend? This is for home use, but I'd like something that could still be usable in a professional kitchen and for HACCP, etc.

Since mine (and its predecessor) died because steam got into the display housing and eventually ruined the connection between the LCD display and the circuit board, I'm looking for something that won't be so susceptible to moisture.

In addition, I'd LIKE it to have an upper range high enough to check the temperature of oil for deep frying and I usually prefer the type that can be read face-on, rather than along the side, but neither of those are as important as the best speed, accuracy and product life for the price.

Other features, such as min/max, alarms, hold, etc. would be nice but, again, are not necessary.

So far, I think I've narrowed it down to one of the following: What say ye?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Thermometers by labradors (My digital food ther...)
We buy the Cooper ones from Sysco, We usually buy a few at a time, as they seem to get dropped and stepped on, or disappear into oblivion. But, they work great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Thermometers by Lorraine (We buy the Cooper on...)
I buy Taylor TruTemp brand at Sam's. It has the NSF stamp of approval.
  Re: Re: Thermometers by HomeCulinarian (I buy Taylor TruTemp...)
I have the "vaunted Thermapen" - better get it on your Christmas list, Labs. But, I have lots of Coopers that I take on catering jobs and when I was working.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thermometers by cjs (I have the "vaunted ...)
Mine is a Maverick RediChek that I have had for at least 15 years and I use it at least once or twice a week. I have to say, though, that I do "baby" it-- it's even stored in the original box.

[Image: ET-32-b.jpg]

Hmmm, I guess that they don't make my model any longer (big surprise) because this takes a AAA battery (mine is a "button" battery) and sounds as though it starts to calculate temperature above 115F (and I use mine to test water fro proofing yeast at 110F).

And now it's $23, I remember that when I bought mine it was $50!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Thermometers by foodfiend (Mine is a Maverick R...)
Ok I hope this works. I went onto Consumer Reports and grabbed a copy of their ratings -

[Image: Screenshot2011-02-05at125041PM.png]
  Re: Re: Thermometers by DFen911 (Ok I hope this works...)
I am constantly amazed at the number of people I know that don't even have a thermometer of any kind! How the #ell do you cook without one?

We have 2 instant reads - don't recall the brand and a Maverick 2 probe remote thermometer for the grill/smoker. (reminds me I need to order 2 more probes for that).

At least I know what my girls are getting for Christmas next year. Funny - if they sold them at Tiffany's Jennifer might own one. Hmmm - have to check that out and let Dan know.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Thermometers by labradors (My digital food ther...)
I have a few, the one I reach for is a Polder. Not sure which model, but I paid about $25 for it, and I've had it for several years. It has held up over the years and my abuse, but it still tests out accurately.
PJ
  Re: Re: Thermometers by pjcooks (I have a few, the on...)
Which one did you end up with Labs?
  Re: Re: Thermometers by DFen911 (Which one did you en...)
Despite some of the Amazon comments, after doing a bunch of homework, I decided upon the CDN DTQ450X. I had already seen the Consumer Reports evaluations, since my dad has a subscription to that, but I also managed to get the Cook's Illustrated reviews.

The one I chose was their second choice and the main reason they said they didn't give it the highest rating was that the testers preferred models that had the display on the side rather than at the end. Well, I like the end-on display better AND this model had a higher temperature range, so I'll also be able to use it to check the temperature of oil for deep frying. In addition, Amazon's price was only $12.69, so I'm going to get two so that I'll have a spare. The others would have cost that must for one, especially with the shipping charges, but since a pair of these will go just over the $25 mark, I'll be able to get Amazon's free shipping.

I really liked the Cooper DFP450W, too, but the best I could do on that was to get one for a total, with shipping, of $24.75. Down here, though, it will probably be a good idea to have a backup, so being able to get two of the others helped.

It still wasn't an easy choice, and I hope it works out well. Now, I just need to wait until the package of other things in which they will be sent gets here (probably about a month by the time everything is all done).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?