Chili Cookoff
  Re: (...)
Hey everyone.

If Steve is in town, his squadron is having a chili cookoff in a few weeks. Does anyone have a GREAT T&T chili recipe? I have no preference with bean or without, pork or beef, - but probably not chicken.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Chili Cookoff by esgunn (Hey everyone. [br]...)
Erin, I will bow out of this one. My chili is nothing special, and I don't use a recipe. Sonja posted one on here that I tried once and we liked it. I'll see if I can find it. The only thing I WILL say is that I LOVE these beans:
[Image: bdy_chili-traditional.jpg]

They are so tender and add a lot of flavor. I haven't been able to find them in a while, and I can really tell a difference in the chili.

That's weird....I thought for sure I had it in MC....couldn't find it. Then I checked on here. Not only did it not show up in a search for beer or chili, Sonja's name is not on the User List. She did use her name, didn't she?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Chili Cookoff by esgunn (Hey everyone. [br]...)
Quote:

Hey everyone.

If Steve is in town, his squadron is having a chili cookoff in a few weeks. Does anyone have a GREAT T&T chili recipe? I have no preference with bean or without, pork or beef, - but probably not chicken.

I will post the winning recipe for you when I get home next week. Tried and true, people fight over it, competition becomes a quivering mass of protoplasm smelling it, beans dry up and won't go near it, dark beer longs to become a flavorful addition---fresh roasted ancho chili and cumin---anticipation---anticipation--is making you wait!! Soon. Beef. Pork.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chili Cookoff by Gourmet_Mom (Erin, I will bow out...)
She unregistered, or whatever you can do if you "leave the island".
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
How hot do you want it?

Do you traditional red chili or white chili?
  Re: Re: Chili Cookoff by DFen911 (How hot do you want ...)
I have one that 2 people won chili contests with over on C2C - White Chili and it has turkey, so you probably don't want it, but...it deserves to be included in a thread with winning chili recipes....

* Exported from MasterCook *

TURKEY CHILI WITH WHITE BEANS

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions -- chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
1/4 cup chili powder
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 can whole tomatoes -- (28 ounce)
3 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
1 can tomato sauce -- (8 ounce)
3 cans small white beans -- (15 ounce) rinsed, drained
Chopped red onion
Chopped fresh cilantro
Plain low-fat yogurt or light sour cream

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until light brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Add oregano and cumin; stir 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add turkey; stir until no longer pink, breaking up with back of spoon. Stir in chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon. Add tomatoes with their juices, breaking up with back of spoon. Mix in stock and tomato sauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add beans to chili and simmer until flavors blend, about 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaves. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat before continuing.)

Ladle chili into bowls. Pass red onion, cilantro and yogurt separately.

chefCJ - Jean, thanks so much for this recipe. They raved about it and I had to pass the recipe onto everyone. I thought it could have had a bit more heat to it - personal preference - but it worked so well as my friend (who is expecting) cannot eat anything too spicy, so it worked very well.

2win - I will make this chili recipe and will submit it for my company's first annual chili cook off this Friday. I will post the result and comments

2win - Hey CJS,
Do you want to know the result? I won! The prize was a grocery gift certificate. Your recipe is really good. Who would have thunk of using cocoa powder, and cinnamon for chili.

I made some changes in the recipe not because I intentionally want to, but by either pure accident, or use what ever is available.

What I changed were:
-seasoned white beans because the store do not have plain white beans.
-added 1 cup of chicken broth because I have some left and don't want it go bad.
-add in 1 green pepper 'cause it was sitting there and was very lonely and I thought, what the hey.. so I cut it up and tossed it in.
-1/3 C. of chili powder instead of 1/4 C 'cause I couldn't find my quarter measuring cup and don't want to use any other bigger cup and 1/3 c. was available. What the hey..the more the merrier.
-additional salt.

I didn't eat any of it last night because it was getting late,and knew it was good from the little taste here and there. But, after the judging and I had a bowl, boy, was it good..delicious. EVERYONE was raving about it.

Thanks for the recipe.

Cj - 2win, congratulations!! That's just great. I'm adding your 'what the hey' ideas to the original.

I get so bored making the same chili all the time, but this is one that I've come back to often and it would be easily adapted to a slow cooker, I would think.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chili Cookoff by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh my!!! Now you have me drooling Bill.

I haven't made chili in so long - I better get off my tail and make a pot soon - no recipe, I just make sure that I hold back some of the raw veggies to put in toward the end for a little crispness.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chili Cookoff by Harborwitch (Oh my!!! Now you ha...)
White Chili

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cooked, boneless chicken breast half, chopped
3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth (I use low sodium)
2 (4 ounce) cans canned green chile peppers, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or less if preferred)
5 (14.5 ounce) cans great Northern beans, undrained
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 10 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the chicken, chicken broth, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to low and add the beans. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until heated thoroughly. Pour into individual bowls and top with the cheese.

**To give more of a kick I add 1-2 diced jalapeno's, ribs and seeds removed.

Laredo Chili with Beer

Makes 6 servings.

Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 1-1/2 hrs. to 2 hrs.

Ingredients

8 ounces hot style pork sausage
1-1/2 pounds round steak (beef), cut into 1/2 - inch cubes
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can chopped jalapeno chiles, drained
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes
1 bottle (12 oz.) beer
1 lime, cut into wedges
1 cilantro sprig

Cooking Directions

In a stockpot, crumble the pork sausage. You want to lightly brown the sausage over medium heat. Make sure you stir occasionally.

Add in the steak and continue cooking over medium heat. You want the steak lightly brown.

Add it the onion, garlic, chile, chili powder, cumin, tomatoes and beer. You will cook this until the ingredients begin to boil.

At the boil, you want to skim off any fat. Cover and reduce your heat to a simmer.

Simmer the chili for 1-1/2 hours. You want the steak very tender and almost melts in your mouth.

In addition, the chili should be somewhat thick.

Ladle in bowls and use your lime and cilantro as garnish. Substitute tortillas as bread or crackers.

I like to add much more cilantro than the recipe calls for. Also to heat it up add 1 tsp cayenne or more.
Ooohhh Yay! Keep em coming!

Can't wait to see your too Bill. Hope you are having a fantastic trip!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chili Cookoff by esgunn (Ooohhh Yay! Keep ...)
Do you have the Fabulous Soups book? The red chili in it is really good! We've made it several times, but I can't claim any prizes for it. Hubby makes his own chili powder and we use cubanelle peppers from our garden instead of the green peppers.