Labs' Chicken Vindaloo recipe
  Re: (...)
There was a post from October 2009 in which Labs shared a chicken vindaloo recipe. I had the opportunity to try it last night and it was soooooo good!

[Image: ChickenVindaloo.jpg]

Chicken Vindaloo

Ingredients:

* 2 Tsp whole cumin seeds
* 1 Tsp black peppercorns
* 1 Tsp cardamom seeds
* 4 Inches stick cinnamon
* 1 1/2 Tsp (rounded) whole black mustard seeds
* 1 Tsp whole fenugreek seeds
* 5 Tbsp white wine vinegar
* 1 Tsp salt
* 1 Tsp cayenne pepper
* 1 Tsp light brown sugar
* 2/3 Cup vegetable oil
* 2 large yellow onions, peeled and cut into half-rings
* 6 Tbsp + 2 Tsp water
* 3/4 Inch cube of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
* 8-10 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
* 1 Tbsp ground coriander seeds
* 1/2 Tsp ground turmeric
* 2 Lb boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
* 1 Cup tomato sauce
* 9 Oz new potatoes, peeled and quartered

Instructions:
For the vindaloo paste

1. Grind cumin seeds, black pepper, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, black mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds together in a spice grinder. In a small bowl, combine ground spices, vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper and brown sugar. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Fry onions, stirring frequently, until they are a rich, dark brown. Remove onions with a slotted spoon and put them in a blender. Turn off the heat, but do not discard the oil. Add 3 Tbsp + 1 Tsp water (or more if necessary) to the onions and blend until you have a smooth paste. Add this onion paste to the spices in the bowl.

Assembly:

1. Put the ginger and garlic in a blender. Add 3 Tbsp + 1 Tsp water and blend until you have a smooth paste.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the ginger!garlic paste. Stir until the paste browns slightly. Add the coriander and turmeric. Stir a few seconds. Add the chicken, a little at a time, and brown lightly.
3. Add the vindaloo paste, tomato sauce and potatoes to the chicken in the saucepan. Stir and bring to a slight boil.
4. Cover the saucepan, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about an hour, or until potatoes are tender.
5. Serve over rice.

Now, I made a couple of minor changes. I used a nonstick skillet and was able to decrease the oil used significantly. I did need to use more water to make the ginger paste and the onion paste; and I had to use a little more tomato sauce. I also cut the potatoes in smaller pieces so they would cook faster (making the onion paste took longer that I had thought).

I served this with mashed butternut squash flavored with Indian spices.

There's something about spicy (not too, though), fragrant Indian food on a cold winter's night...

Thanks for posting the recipe, Rob!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Labs' Chicken Vindaloo recipe by foodfiend (There was a post fro...)
That sounds very tasty, Vicci - I can almost smell it from here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Labs' Chicken Vindaloo recipe by cjs (That sounds very tas...)
Very nice, Vicci. I'll have to work us into the Indian cuisine slowly.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.