Steamed Buns & Four Happiness Pork
  Re: (...)
Boy, are these tasty - We had 'sandwiches' with pork and Hoisin, Sweet Chili sauce, cilantro and sprinkled with peanuts for dinner last night. Froze the rest of the buns to have with sandwiches for the late night snack/dinner. These are so easy and good.

[Image: CIMG0376.jpg]

[Image: SteamedBuns.jpg]

Both recipes are from Rhonda Parkinson, About.com Guide newsletter.

Steamed Bun Dough
1 package dried yeast or 1 cake fresh yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
4 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Crisco or vegetable oil
1/2 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons sesame seed oil

Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Add 1 cup of flour. Mix thoroughly. Cover with cloth. Let rise 1 hour, until bubbles appear.

Dissolve sugar and vegetable oil in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir well. Cool until lukewarm. Pour into yeast mixture. Add 3 1/2 cups flour.

Knead dough on lightly floured board until smooth. Put into extra large, greased bowl in a warm place. Cover with damp cloth. Let rise until double in bulk, about 2 hours.

Divide into 2 portions. Remove first portion and knead 2 minutes. Repeat with second. Roll each into roll 12 inches long and 2 inches wide. Cut into 12 pieces (24 total).
Flatten each piece with palm of hand. Roll with rolling pin into 3 inch circles.

NOTE: "Roll the individual buns into long ovals, rather than circles. That way, when folded over has more coverage for filling." - I did this way.

Brush with sesame seed oil. Indent middle of circle with chopstick. Fold circle in half so that it becomes a half moon. Crimp edges tightly with fork.

Place each roll on separate square piece of foil on steamer tray. Cover tray with towel. Let buns rise to double in bulk, about 30 minutes. Remove towel.

Steam, tightly covered, over briskly boiling water for 10 minutes. Serve with Peking Duck, Crispy Duck, or with any filling you desire. May be prepared in advance. May be frozen. Thaw out in plastic bag and re-steam 10 minutes.

(*Note: This recipe is reprinted from "Madame Wong's Long-Life Chinese Cookbook", courtesy of Sylvia Schulman).

-------
and here's the pork - another easy and tasty recipe.

Four Happiness Pork

1 1/2 pounds lean pork
1 cup water
2 tablespoons sherry
6 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 slices ginger
1 scallion
2 tablespoons sugar

Put pork in boiling water. Boil 1 minute. Drain. Rinse in cold water. Cut pork in 2-inch cubes.

Put pork and 1 cup water in an earthenware or any other heavy pot. Bring water to boil. Add sherry, soy sauce, ginger, and scallion. Cover pot tightly. Simmer over very low heat 2 hours. Add sugar. Bring to high heat. Baste until gravy coats the meat.

May be prepared in advance. May be frozen. Reheat before serving.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Steamed Buns & Four Happiness Pork by cjs (Boy, are these tasty...)
Oh my, those look good! I've never made steamed buns before. Is the martini a traditional side?!?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Steamed Buns & Four Happiness Pork by foodfiend (Oh my, those look go...)
I don't know about the steamed buns....I have images of wet bread, which I hate. But the pork....YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Steamed Buns & Four Happiness Pork by Gourmet_Mom (I don't know about t...)
After a day of baking (which is not my favorite thing to do), yes, Vicci, a martini is a traditional side.

Daphne, they aren't the least bit damp - they are a dry, soft, light bun that you would love. Trust me
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Steamed Buns & Four Happiness Pork by cjs (After a day of bakin...)
Jean, I have a couple of baking days scheduled this week and will keep such a "traditional side" (in my case, a mojito) in mind.

Now, how do you fill these? I'd make a chicken filling butam wondering-- do you split them or... ?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Steamed Buns & Four Happiness Pork by foodfiend (Jean, I have a coupl...)
Vicci, after you roll them out (I rolled them in an oblong), "Brush with sesame seed oil. Indent middle of circle with chopstick. Fold circle in half so that it becomes a half moon. Crimp edges tightly with fork."

After they are cooked they naturally open (like a clam) and you can fill them for a sandwich.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Steamed Buns & Four Happiness Pork by cjs (Vicci, after you rol...)
Thanks for both recipes, Jean. Sure sounds good to me. We love steamed buns and buy them from Asia foods when we go, but I would like to try them myself. And the pork recipe sounds good too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Steamed Buns & Four Happiness Pork by Mare749 (Thanks for both reci...)
After they are cooked they naturally open (like a clam)

MAGIC!!!
I hope that I can get to these this week, looks fun!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Steamed Buns & Four Happiness Pork by cjs (Boy, are these tasty...)
Thanks for sharing the recipes Jean. Those look like little heavenly pillows of joy!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!