Watermelon
  Re: (...)
Is it difficult to get Watermelon in the winter? I know I was just at the store today, but I don't recall if they had any watermelons and I want to make a signature cocktail for my upcoming dinner party this weekend. I wanted to make the Watermelon Mojito (never had it before so if someone has and they hated it let me know). It just sounded summery and bright for the occasion. It's been so cloudy and snowy and cold here that I wanted to brighten the atmosphere.

But does anyone know about the watermelon or have they ever had these mojitos?

Oh and I am making Ina's Eggplant Gratin too. Have any of you ever had that?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Watermelon by luvnit (Is it difficult to g...)
No watermelons in my store yet and I'm in S. Calif. I don't start seeing them until late May and they're not real good then. And I bet that watermelon mojito was the one on Ina Garten's show?? Mmm? Mmm? I saw that last week and was so mad cause I have to wait too long to make them
  Re: Watermelon by luvnit (Is it difficult to g...)
Laura, I had to go to WalMart today to find my artichokes, and I saw that they had a bunch of those little melons. I don't know how good they are. I'd pick one up and experiment with the melon and the mojito one night this week...unless somebody comes on to tell you differently.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Watermelon by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, I had to go t...)
Bummer Denise...

Sounds promising Daphne!

I will have to look this week. As an alternative, can anyone think of something similar? not by taste, but with the same feel?

What about pomegranate mojitos? Or something else?
Laura
  Re: Re: Watermelon by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, I had to go t...)
Laura, I saw some beautiful mangoes at the store the other day and that may be a good sub for the watermelon. Or pineapple-- those are both very summery & tropical fruits to make beverages from (says one who has!).

Oh, and whatever you make, don't forget those little paper parasol drink decorations!

Mango Mojito (and you don't need the fresh fruit, just the canned nectar!):

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipe...0001041937

Pineapple mojito (again, no messing with the fresh fruit-- juice and canned pineapple chunks):
http://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple-mojito-250673
  Re: Re: Watermelon by foodfiend (Laura, I saw some be...)
Wow! Love the suggestion Vicci. Mango-Mint Mojitos... Sounds really good. No mess with the fruit... Sounds great! Excellent suggetions.

We are having them with a Bruschetta Bar, not sure if the piineapple would be good. I dislike pineapple juice too. I'd have to puree my own I think. Mango sounds like it might be just the right alternative to Watermelon. Maybe even better. Will mull that over...
Laura
  Re: Re: Watermelon by luvnit (Wow! Love the sugges...)
Laura, I'm happy to help with matters of rum drinks...
Without knowing about what will be in the bruschetta bar, I'm thinking that mango would be a better fit, too, especially since you don't like pineapple!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Watermelon by foodfiend (Laura, I'm happy to ...)
Laura, stick a note on the frig to make some watermelon juice and freeze it next summer!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Watermelon by cjs (Laura, stick a note ...)

Quote:

Laura, stick a note on the frig to make some watermelon juice and freeze it next summer!!

Duly noted...

Vicci, glad to have a rum expert in the midst. I do like rum, but haven't a clue what it's versatility is. Really, I just planned on it being the opening drink (or two), then switching to red wine for the entree portion which is prime rib, eggplant gratin, and Caesar salad. Someone else is planning dessert (against my will). I wanted to have a Chocolate Dessert Platter with several things chocolate. However, I will gladly oblige a guest wishing to bring dessert.

Oh and since you drink Rum, what is a good one! My hubby wants to know, I would probably buy Bacardi, but if there is a better one, maybe.
Laura
  Re: Re: Watermelon by luvnit ([br][blockquote]Quot...)
Always let a willing guest bring something (it took me a while, but I've learned that this can be a good thing!)

Ahhh, rum. For a regular mojito, without the fruit, I would suggest Appletons VX or Barbancourt because they have a fuller taste that goes well with the sharp mint and lime flavors. But with the fruit added to the mix, I think that a good basic white rum would be the best choice. Bacardi's would be fine, but I think that it's a little harsh; you might want to try something a little smoother like Mount Gay Eclipse Silver or Denizen.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com