Storing Chocolate
  Re: (...)
What do you guys do with your chocolate? Do you freeze it?

I'm going to make a mini version of the Tiramisu Trifle and won't need much chocolate. I noticed my chocolate leftover from Christmas is discolored, and I'm assuming, unusable. I had it in the pantry in a ziplock bag. It's cool in my kitchen, but I'm thinking not cool enough? I don't want to waste any more.

While I'm at it, I realized it's going to be hard to make a small amount of the ganache and not screw it up....I'll be lucky not to screw it up anyway. (I've never made caramel before.) I'm thinking it would be better to make the whole recipe of the ganache and store it for another use. How do I store that?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Storing Chocolate by Gourmet_Mom (What do you guys do ...)
Hmm. I don't know about the ganache, Daphne. Though I do remember from a chocolate class a few years back that extreme cold is not good for chocolate and will probably cause further discoloration. I'm also pretty sure that when discolorations happen, it is only on the surface and hasn't hurt the chocolate. Kind of like cheese. I'm sure some other friends can confirm or deny these allegations.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Storing Chocolate by cheesemonger (Hmm. I don't know ab...)
Looks like I'll be delivering dessert to friends for Valentines...LOL!

Regarding the chocolate chips, I'm guessing the pantry was TOO cool...thus the discoloration? So how DO you preserve chocolate chips?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Storing Chocolate by Gourmet_Mom (Looks like I'll be d...)
They are usable, Daphne, as is. I have frozen ganache and it works fine. Let it thaw at room temperature for a day and you may have to re-whip it a little. But, it will be fine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Storing Chocolate by cjs (They are usable, Dap...)
We store chocolate chips in the spare room, the vent is turned off, so it is very cool, about 60 degrees. We've never had a problem with discoloration. As for the ganache, we freeze it all the time, not a problem.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Storing Chocolate by Lorraine (We store chocolate c...)
So the discolored chips will work? COOL! I can't wait to make this one. The more I look at it, the more excited I get.

Since the lady fingers are cut up, I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of subbing sponge cake. It wouldn't be as "light" in texture, but.....
Daphne