Indian Pizza
  Re: (...)
I'll probably have to post the recipes for this dinner one by one - we've got some errands to run this afternoon. This was a great dinner, inspired by the Paneer. The fried Paneer was so good that we're lucky any of it made it to the pizza.

First things first: Naan. I could not believe how easy this was. Oh - and how absolutely wonderful it is/was!

In a large bowl stir together and let stand until foamy:
1/2 cup warm water
2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar.

In a small bowl mix together and add to yeast and water.
1/4 cup neutral oil (I used Safflower)
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1 large egg

Mix in
2 1/2 cups of AP flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Stir together and then knead until you have a soft elastic dough. Cover and let rise until doubled.

Divide dough into 6 pieces on a lightly floured board. Roll out each piece into a thin circle or oval. Cook each naan in a hot skillet or griddle that is lightly oiled. Cook, turning as required until the surface has large blisters and is golden. Repeat for each Naan.

Set Naan aside to cool.

Cilantro Chutney

2 bunches cilantro washed and dried.
3 large jalapeno peppers cut in chunks
5 scallions trimmed and cut into pieces (or 1/2 sm. onion)
1" piece of ginger, peeled
3 cloves of garlic
juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup plain yogurt (Greek)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp. ground cumin
salt to taste

Put everything in the food processor and process until it forms a thick paste.

More later. Of course, just the cilantro chutney smeared on the Naan is wonderful.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Indian Pizza by Harborwitch (I'll probably have t...)
Okay, I said we had gotten over our cilantro phobia, but I don't think we're ready for THIS. And 3 jalapeno peppers? I'm sweating just thinking about it.

But the Naan sounds interesting. I've never had it, so I may try that sometime when I'm playing with bread making.

I can't wait to hear what else you put on the pizzas.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Indian Pizza by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I said we had ...)
Cilantro and coriander are hard to avoid. In on form or another, they are important - even integral - ingredients in the cuisines of Latin America, Thailand, India, Morocco, Ethiopia, China, Indonesia, and Vietnam.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Indian Pizza by labradors (Cilantro and coriand...)
sounds great, Sharon - do you have Paulie's M-i-l's Naan recipe? It is absolutely wonderful (but, you liked this one, so ignore me. )

Get to the pizza, woman!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Indian Pizza by cjs (sounds great, Sharon...)
[Image: DSCN5734.jpg]" />

Well we found leftovers lurking in the cooler! Please pardon the paper plate.

Grilled Vindaloo Pork.

3 TBS Vindaloo seasoning*
3/4 tsp Maharajah Curry powder*
3 - 4 TBS water
1 pork tenderloin

Make a paste with the seasonings and water. Coat the tenderloin and marinate for at least 1 hour.

Grill to desired doneness and allow to rest 15 minutes. Thinly slice.

*Penzey's

For pizza:

Naan
Paneer
Mango Chutney
Cilantro Chutney
Vindaloo grilled pork
4 oz thinly sliced mozz.

Spread the Naan with mango chutney, top with cilantro chutney, sliced pork, and cheeses. Grill until hot.

The recipe I was going to use called for the Paneer to be marinated and cooked in yogurt with Tandoori seasoning, garlic, lime juice, and ginger. I couldn't find the Tandoori seasoning so just used the fried Paneer. It also called for regular pizza sauce (ick??) It also called for baking.

We bought mango chutney - next time I'll make it. This was so amazing that we'll have it again just the way it was.
  Re: Re: Indian Pizza by Harborwitch ( [image][img]http://...)
Looks good, Sharon! I'll have to check out those seasonings for the pork! Maybe I should try Lab's Vindaloo Chicken and see if we like the flavors...sounds like a plan.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Indian Pizza by Gourmet_Mom (Looks good, Sharon! ...)
It's been a while since we've done Indian food - it's so good, and we can't figure out why we don't have it more often.

Funny - I have a bit of the seasoning paste left in a bowl we're just loving it as an "air freshener".

Daphne I meant to mention that you can use mint & cilantro - actually I would have but I forgot to get the mint.

Jean I'd love to try that recipe for Naan. Next batch is going to be garlic.
  Re: Re: Indian Pizza by Harborwitch (It's been a while si...)
I like the flavor combinations you used, Sharon. Is the cilantro pesto yours? (In other words, if I like it, can I use it?)

Here's Paulie's recipe for Naan

* Exported from MasterCook *

Naan - Rogerramjet (paulie's Recipe)

1/2 oz. fresh yeast (or 1 1/2 tsp. dried)
4 Tbsp. warm milk
2 tsp. sugar
-------
1 lb. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
-------
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. milk
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. yogurt
1 egg -- beaten
4 Tbsp. ghee (or melted butter or vegetable oil)

Combine the yeast, warm milk and sugar in a small bowl until the yeast begins to froth, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Combine the milk, yogurt, egg and ghee. Stir in the yeast mixture.

Stir the liquids into the dry ingredients. Mix until a ball forms.

Pour the ball onto a floured tabletop and knead for about 5 minutes.

Return to a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Place in a warm area until the dough is doubled in volume, about 1 ? 1 1/2 hours.

Pre-heat oven to 375F

Punch down dough and divide into 8 portions. Roll into balls and cover with damp cloth for 10 minutes.

Roll or stretch each ball into a circle roughly 8? in circumference. Brush each with some reserved ghee or melted butter and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake for about 10 minutes, turning the naan over and bake an additional 6 minutes, brushing again with ghee/melted butter.

Remove and keep wrapped in a clean tea towel. Serve immediately.

by roger ramjet on Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:25 pm
Here's a fave of mine...took me a long time to develop a recipe that enbraces everything I like about Naan bread - slightly crisp outside, soft chewy middle and a light flavour that is great for sopping up everything from curries to mussels!

P.S This makes a good pizza dough, if you can believe it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like the combination of a tomato base used with the Indian flavors.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Indian Pizza by cjs (I like the flavor co...)
Jean I adapted it to our tastes after reading through five or six different recipes.

We fell madly in love with this stuff at a Farmer's Market in Stockton. He'd get you over to his booth and then "ply" you all of the different chutney's, sauces, and variety's of Naan. Oooooh, and then the samosas!!!! We'd leave his booth with lots of goodies and waddle around the rest of the flea market to work it off.

I am sitting here thinking about this. I think a bit more garlic in the cilantro chutney ??? I'm also thinking pepperjack cheese instead of the mozz. I think the creamyness might balance the paneer plus a little more kick.

Thanks for the Naan recipe! I'll try that one too. I love the stuff.