Fun With Food- Chicken Apple Sausage Boats
  Re: (...)
I made some cherry-almond scones and they're in the freezer (unbaked) so I can bake them oven-fresh on Monday. I was wondering what else to make because, although Dad eats a half slice of toast for breakfast, Jack has been spoiled with full breakfasts and when we are visiting there Mom will join us.

I saw the recipe for Chicken Apple Sausage Boats in issue #85 and, using ground turkey, prepared the meat & apple mixture this afternoon. As I was shaping them, I just happened to see my heart-shaped cookie cutters in the dish drainer. And I had an idea:

Voila! Heart-shaped sausage-apple boats!

[Image: IMG_2098.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2097.jpg]

They ended up being just about the 1" thickness that the recipe directs, so they should cook per the instructions. I'll find out on Monday. They should look really cute with the eggs cooked in the little "well".
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Fun With Food- Chicken Apple Sausage Boats by foodfiend (I made some cherry-a...)
Vicci, that is sooo cute! I hope they work out! I'm sure your mom is going to love her Valentine/Birthday experience!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Fun With Food- Chicken Apple Sausage Boats by foodfiend (I made some cherry-a...)
Awwwwwwwww - those are adorable! What a clever idea.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fun With Food- Chicken Apple Sausage Boats by Harborwitch (Awwwwwwwww - those a...)
What a clever idea! I have been meaning to review these since I made my boring round ones last week. We had them for dinner one night, long story short, the evening went ary and I skipped the eggs in the well. I served the sausages on shredded potato pattys and served an avacado and orange salad made with lime juice, honey, and cilantro. We LOVED the sausage. I made mine with ground chicken. I found the meat mixture rather wet and difficult to shape......I wonder if using turkey is a better idea. Yours look so perfect, Vicci.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Fun With Food- Chicken Apple Sausage Boats by chef_Tab (What a clever idea! ...)
Well, let's see how perfectly they are formed after cooking! But, Theresa, the meat mixture wasn't too moist-- must have been the chicken? Off to whip some buttercream, frost the cake, finish packing, and leave for my parents.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Fun With Food- Chicken Apple Sausage Boats by foodfiend (Well, let's see how ...)
I love this idea and believe me, it's copied!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fun With Food- Chicken Apple Sausage Boats by cjs (I love this idea and...)
Thanks for a great idea!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Fun With Food- Chicken Apple Sausage Boats by Lorraine (Thanks for a great i...)
These didn't turn out so well. After I cooked the top-side, then flipped them, the indentation was not big enough to hold an egg. The egg flowed out of the indentations and into the pan, where they cooked much faster than the portion of the egg which stayed in the sausage. *sigh*

It didn't help that I forgot the scones. I remembered that they were still in the freezer after we had been on the road for almost an hour.

But I do have to thank Theresa. I remembered about her serving them on hash browns, so I asked Mom if I could grate some potatoes to use. She said "sure", walked into the pantry where I thought she was getting the potatoes, then she came back into the kitchen and tossed me a bag of frozen hash browns. Mom to the Rescue!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Fun With Food- Chicken Apple Sausage Boats by foodfiend (These didn't turn ou...)
Vicci you are so creative!! Sorry they didn't cook up the way you wanted but what a fun presentation idea
  Re: Re: Fun With Food- Chicken Apple Sausage Boats by DFen911 (Vicci you are so cre...)
....wonder if they could have been baked.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com