Homemade food colouring?
  Re: (...)
Recently, I showed someone how to make basic frosting/icing for cookies, etc. In the process, I mentioned that food colouring could be added for more-decorative effects, but I haven't always seen food colouring around here. That led me to wonder what could be done as a substitute for store-bought, chemical, artificial food colourings.

On the Web, I found a number of discussions on the subject, especially using things such as spinach and beets, but (without having tried them, yet) I wasn't all that impressed with the intensity of the colours and was concerned that ingredients such as spinach and beets wouldn't exactly be flavour neutral for use on cookies and the like.

Have any of you experimented with this? How were the results - both for colour intensity and flavour neutrality? What (if anything) would you recommend for various colours?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Homemade food colouring? by labradors (Recently, I showed s...)
Other than coloring pasta a couple of times with spinach, beets, and carrots, I really haven't played with this much. I'll be watching this to see some of the ideas you'll get.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Homemade food colouring? by cjs (Other than coloring ...)
Same here...I've only done pasta. Good luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.