Pancake-gate
  Re: (...)
Well, Jean should not feel badly about the pancake situation (which I am sure she doesn't). It just so happens that hubby had been trying for 10 years to replicate his grandfather's pancakes. We even had the recipe and were never able to duplicate the texture and flavor. We had tried every kind of pancake recipe and every time it was "Nope." Not even close.

Sharon's recipe for Bette's Pancakes was a resounding YES! from my hubby! After years of searching, the quest was finally over.

So after years of trying pancakes, it was never a question of which pancake recipe was better, it was recapturing a childhood memory.

Now I will have to say that Sharon's recipe is, hands-down, one of the best I have ever, ever had.

We may just have to make Jean's pancakes this weekend. But it won't be a competition.

I don't think I would be able to publicly state a winner.

Now if anyone would like to try these delicious pancake recipes, I will post them:

(Sharon's) Bette's Pancake Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Choice of berries, sliced bananas, raisins or chopped toasted nuts (optional)
Oil for griddle

Directions:

My absolute favorite pancake recipe. From the San Francisco Chronicle a few years ago:

"Bette's Buttermilk Pancakes Rise a Stack Above the Rest" Michael Bauer

Several people in the Food department thought they had the best recipe for buttermilk pancakes until they tasted this version from Bette's Oceanview Diner in Berkeley.

Owner Bette Kroening has been making these pancakes there for nearly 20 years. They have become so popular that she even started a line of packaged mixes that can be bought all around the Bay Area, including in some Safeways.

What makes these -- as well as all of the all-American specialties at the diner -- so good is they are made fresh. The baking soda, baking powder and buttermilk work to make these lighter and fluffier than just about any you'll find.

Note to Jean: Is your pancake recipe the Sourdough Pancakes? Because, darn it, I don't have any starter right now! I have been meaning to get the Carl Griffin sourdough starter though. They will send it to you for free. Here is a link in case anyone is interested: Carl Griffin Sourdough Page
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Pancake-gate by luvnit (Well, Jean should no...)
From "a Chef's Journey," page 1, Uncle Wallace's Pancakes

My Great-Uncle Wallace Thatcher made these pancakes for my sister and me every summer when we visited him and Aunt Lolly. Even today, they are the best I have every tasted! While they are delicious with warm maple syrup, homemade Blackberry syrup is just made for these pancakes.

Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes

6 rounded T. flour (see CJ’s tip)
3 1/2 cups buttermilk (may need a little more to make a thin batter)
1 1/2 rounded tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3 T. bacon grease (see CJ’s tip)
3 T. sugar

Mix all the ingredients together; the batter should be rather thin, a little thicker than a crepe batter. Heat a pancake griddle to medium-high and regulate heat so the bottom of the pancake is nicely browned when the bubbles appear on top.

Pour 1/3-cup size pancake batter on a hot griddle rubbed with more bacon grease or vegetable oil.

Turn as soon as the top of pancake has bubbles; cook other side until browned. Makes 14 – 18 pancakes.

CJ’s tips: After years of making these pancakes, I finally measured “6 dinnerware tablespoons” of flour and found it is equal to approximately
1 1/2 cups.

While bacon grease makes these the delicious pancakes they are, you can use vegetable oil in its place.

-------

Now if hubby doesn't like these best, it's because he had a neglected, deprived childhood.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pancake-gate by luvnit (Well, Jean should no...)
Here's my totally diplomatic answer to the pancake wars. My absolute favorite pancake now is Bette's Buttermilk but my husband's is Uncle Wallace's. Even split in my house.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Pancake-gate by cjs (From "a Chef's Journ...)
Quote:

Now if hubby doesn't like these best, it's because he had a neglected, deprived childhood.

I bet you are right Jean. These are on the list. Perhaps I will make breakfast for dinner this week! That's a tough one for Maggie to understand. The concrete thinker she is: Breakfast is breakfast and dinner is dinner. I have tried before and she goes into a tailspin. But life is full of zingers and it's better to get used to them. Right?
Laura
  Re: Re: Pancake-gate by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"But life is full of zingers and it's better to get used to them. Right?"

Right, and what better way to get used to zingers than with a stack of hotcakes!!

That's funny, Shannon!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pancake-gate by Dismc (Here's my totally di...)
Quote:

Here's my totally diplomatic answer to the pancake wars. My absolute favorite pancake now is Bette's Buttermilk but my husband's is Uncle Wallace's. Even split in my house.

So, there does seem to have been a peaceful resolution to the conflict. Our next story: in economic news, pancake sales are flat, but bread is rising. Film at 11.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pancake-gate by cjs ("But life is full of...)
They were both very funny posts! I love the tailspin and zingers line.

Now that I think about it, I guess, to be fair, I should try Sharon's recipe.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pancake-gate by Gourmet_Mom (They were both very ...)
Me too, Daphne.......maybe
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pancake-gate by cjs (Me too, Daphne.........)
I am loving the idea of having pancakes for dinner! And how easy would that be on a weeknight? I have visions of prosciutto and strawberries getting into the mix somehow
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Pancake-gate by chef_Tab (I am loving the idea...)
Well, I remember one time years ago I had Breakfast for dinner. Set up the china and used the 'lobster butter' warmers for maple syrup. My oldest daughter's friend (about 14) was so impressed. We had a lovely dinner and it was fun.

Of course my daughter rolled her eyes and was embarassed by the whole thing. Heck, she'll get over it! She probably doesn't even remember it!
Laura