Mader's Reuben (Egg) Rolls
  Re: (...)
This was the darndest combination of flavors we've had in a long time. Each dish, the egg rolls and the cold sesame noodle salad was very tasty - just not really suited for each other.

[Image: ReubenBallswSesameNoodles.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mader's Reuben Rolls
Whoever wrote this recipe really fouled up the quantities - this amount will make at least 60 to 70 rolls, I'm thinking. I made quarter of the recipe, made 6 rolls and have some filling and sauce leftover. I also added a lot more sauerkraut than called for.

3/4 cup Thousand Island dressing
1/4 cup Dusseldorf mustard
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup minced onion (divided)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Dash Worcestershire sauce
1 Dash hot pepper sauce
8 ounces corned beef (ground or shredded)
6 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup sauerkraut -- rinsed and drained
12 egg roll wrappers -- (12 to 15)
Vegetable oil

Make dipping sauce by combining dressing, mustard, vinegar, 1 teaspoon minced onion, the garlic, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Set aside.

To make rolls: Combine corned beef, cheese, sauerkraut and remaining 1/4 cup onion and mix well. Place about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in the center of an egg roll wrapper. Roll up as directed on package, sealing edges with a little water.

Deep-fry rolls in 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil, heated to 325 to 350 degrees, until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes, turning to brown evenly. When done, remove from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Serve with dipping sauce.

Makes 12 to 15 rolls.

Description:
"Source: Mader's German Restaurant, 1037 N. Old World 3rd St. Milwaukee, WS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Mader's Reuben (Egg) Rolls by cjs (This was the darndes...)
Now! There's something that looks GOOD! I'm going to have to try these.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Mader's Reuben (Egg) Rolls by Harborwitch (Now! There's someth...)
William's going to think he's died and gone to heaven! Thanks Jean! These are on the short list.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mader's Reuben (Egg) Rolls by Gourmet_Mom (William's going to t...)
Really a fast dinner for a weeknnight, Daphne!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mader's Reuben (Egg) Rolls by cjs (Really a fast dinner...)
I've got to replace my fryer before I do these, though. Any suggestions on a fryer that's reasonably priced?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mader's Reuben (Egg) Rolls by Gourmet_Mom (I've got to replace ...)
I'll be back tomorrow - I have the best one now, after all these years and models.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mader's Reuben (Egg) Rolls by cjs (I'll be back tomorro...)
Do tell! I'm doing reviewer searches now. Checked here as well.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mader's Reuben (Egg) Rolls by Gourmet_Mom (Do tell! I'm doing ...)
Daphne, I've had just about every model and type of fryer over the years and my favorite is the one that took my right back to the basics!!

[Image: fryer.jpg]

MIU Hard Anodized Aluminum 6-Quart Stovetop Deep Fryer
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H7MUEK/ref=...ASIN=B000H7MUEK

My most imporatnt reason for loving this one - I can keep it clean - every other one I've had, even with diligent cleaning, they would end up sticky and looking crappy.

Some folks mentioned that the basket doesn't fill the pot tightly enough, so they have to use more oil than they want - I don't use the basket, so doesn't affect me often. when I do use it, I like it.

The basket and lid can go in the dishwasher, so easy cleaning, but the pot needs to be hand washed, which is no problem. The pot can be used for other uses also and the whole thing is easier to store than a 'piece of equipment' is.
And, it's so easy to pour the oil out of it - what a pain it used to be.

Can you tell I really like this one?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mader's Reuben (Egg) Rolls by cjs (Daphne, I've had jus...)
But what about temperature control?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mader's Reuben (Egg) Rolls by Gourmet_Mom (But what about tempe...)
You use a thermometer and a dial on your stove! To me, it's easier to regulate than a 'unit' is.
www.achefsjourney.com