need side ideas
  Re: (...)
It's Friday evening, and as usual I am exhausted from the week. I foolishly offered to cook dinner for friends tomorrow night and told them I would make pork wellington. It is one of those recipes I have been meaning to try for years and never got around to it. So tomorrow, in addition to cleaning, laundry, and shopping, I will be preparing the pork wellington but am drawing a blank on what to serve as sides. The simpler and easier the better. Keeping in mind that I will be doing the prep work at home and taking dinner to our friends' home because our kitchen is too tiny for 4 people to sit and eat.
I am sure I do not have the brain, and have not seen it in many months. In fact, I need my head examined........ stat.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: need side ideas by chef_Tab (It's Friday evening,...)
"In fact, I need my head examined........ stat." LOL! I just had to laugh out loud on that one...Been there, done that, own the t-shirt!

On to the sides....Lemon Broccolini was the veggie for the review. Here's the thread for the review: Pork Wellington Review I remember it was a very rich entree, so I'd go for something simple like the broccolini or simple steamed broccoli with a squeeze of lemon or buttered, if you prefer. I hope this helps.

Here's more info: Pork Wellington Sides

More to come...still searching.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: need side ideas by Gourmet_Mom ("In fact, I need my ...)
Theresa, on the review Denise said that For those that haven't done this, do so. It is such an easy dish, and yet so elegant.

It certainly doesn't look easy, but I'm glad that it is since you have enough to do without attempting a complicated recipe.

I'd make a simple veggie, too, and if you cannot find broccolini, I'm sure that steamed broccoli with lemon & butter would be great, too. For guests, I would probably have bread, too (artisan, from the bakery!) and perhaps a salad (bagged, with radicchio and romaine) with lemon vinaigrette.

Good luck!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: need side ideas by foodfiend (Theresa, on the revi...)
Theresa, it really was easy. I made it way ahead in the day so that all I had to do was stick it in the oven.

Here is Roxanne's suggestion about sides and appies for the dinner review: "A side would be a nice green veg of any kind or a nice crisp salad---or both!!! Because of the pastry, I don't think a bread or a starch is necessary BUT certainly would not be a detraction from the main meal.....I have served Wellingtons with bread (French baquette) but have found that it is unnecessary unless you have really huge appetites!!!

A fruit or roasted veggie antipasto is a great starter---maybe that melon/prosciutto combo---keeping that pork theme??"

I just checked, the wellingtons bake at 425. If I'm not mistaken, the roasted cauliflower from your review dinner roasted at the same temp....check to be sure. If it is, I think that would be a great side also!

I also like the idea of the panna cotta (never made it), a flan or similar refrigerated dessert that could be made ahead, also. Or just purchase one!
Daphne
  Re: Re: need side ideas by foodfiend (Theresa, on the revi...)
Thanks so much! This is helpful, but now I have another quandry. I was planning to make the pork wellingtons from issue 42, which are done whole. But I like the way the individuals look. I am sooooo tired, but if I don't get my grocery list done tonight, tomorrow will be even more stressful.
Why oh why did I open my big mouth and offer to do this? I need a bark collar, so whenever I talk, I get a jolt of electricity.
Theresa

Re: Re: need side ideas by chef_Tab (Thanks so much! This...)
I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the one you are talking about. I misunderstood the recipe you were talking about. I just remembered this wonderful meal we reviewed. It was my first review, actually.

I made the individuals. If I remember correctly, it only took me about two hours to put them together. The cool thing about it, I had a tasty, elegant dinner on the table in a short period of time later in the evening with NO work involved. And I got to enjoy appies and visit with the family, stress free, while they baked. If you do the roasted cauliflower, you could have it cut up and tossed with oil and seasoning....ready to toss on a foil lined sheet pan. I can't remember if I made the mushroom sauce. I would think I did...I would think I would have made the mushroom sauce ahead and warmed it.

I think a cheese tray or store bought crudite would be the way to go for appies.
Daphne
  Re: Re: need side ideas by Gourmet_Mom (I'm sorry, I am not ...)
Why not rethink the whole menu. Being you have to do so much prior why not just do a simple roast pork tenderloin, sauteed spinach with garlic and a nice creamy potato dish. You can always experiment with the wellingtons later
  Re: Re: need side ideas by DFen911 (Why not rethink the ...)
Oh Theresa, I wish I could help! I was trying to think... put myself in your place... and I decided that I would "bag" the wellington and sides. I'd make a great salad with a homemade dressing, and a dessert, but order a pizza and take along some good red wine as well.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: need side ideas by DFen911 (Why not rethink the ...)
Denise, you have a point. But for me, I'd rather get all the work done before I'm to do dinner. With your menu, I'm standing in the kitchen cooking while guests enjoy their appies. With the wellington's, you pop them in the oven and go out to enjoy appies and drinks with guests. Just stop long enough to dump the veggies out of the marinade baggie onto a prepped sheet pan and toss in to join the wellingtons. Pour another glass of wine and rejoin guests for another 20 minutes or so. Then serve!

I know that puts you prepping, laundering, vacuuming, dusting, etc. all morning, but at least you'd be able to slow down and enjoy your guests at the end of the day.

We'll re-visit your head examination at a later date.
Daphne
  Re: Re: need side ideas by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, you have a p...)
I think I was extra cranky and tired last night. I feel better this morning. I have decided to do the lemon broccolini(broccoli if the store doesn't have any), roasted carrots, and the individual wellingtons. I will shop early this morning, come home and prep, and then rest a bit. If I must, the cleaning etc, will wait until tomorrow.
I so appreciate all of your support. I was just feeling a little overwhelmed last night and needed a good night's sleep. It certainly helped to have you all there.
Theresa