Cleaning Again!!
  Re: (...)
Oh my, I found another binder with old, old recipes - this is so fun! Thought I'd post a few that I remember liking a lot and I'm going to add them to the menu soon!

Below are two really fast (weeknight fast) ‘sauces’ for pasta – when I was working (in my former life – working in offices, ugh) we had both quite often with a green salad.

Tomato and Garlic Pasta

3 T. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
3 tomatoes, finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste

Sauté the garlic in the olive oil for 1 minute, just until the aromas are released; do not brown.

Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and sauté for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and toss with 1/2 lb. just cooked linguini. Taste again for seasoning. A sprinkling of Parmesan would be in order, but it’s gilding the lily; this simple dish is so good as is.

Rosemary Pasta

2 T. butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, sliced, including green tops
1 T. fresh rosemary, crushed (if fresh is not available, don’t make this recipe)
2/3 of a beef bouillon cube, crushed (now days, if I used this, I wouldn’t add any more salt)
Parmesan cheese

Melt butter over medium heat; add garlic, onions and rosemary. Sauté until just golden, then add bouillon and sauté for 30 seconds more. Remove from heat and toss with hot cooked pasta (approx. 1/2 lb.) and top with grated Parmesan and a little more minced rosemary.

This chocolate sauce was made for Christmas presents, believe it or not, in 1979, 1981, 1986, 1987, ’88, ’89, 1990, ’91 and ’93 – and family and friends complained when I quite giving it. It's a Family Circle recipe from 12/11/79.

6 oz. semisweet chocolate pieces (today I’d use bittersweet!)
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch salt
1/3 cup hot water

Melt chocolate pieces in top of double boiler over simmering water. Add condensed milk, vanilla, and salt, stirring constantly until mixture is slightly thickened. Then, stir in the hot water.

Let cool; cover and refrigerate. This can be thinned more by adding hot water, 1 tablespoon at a time, before serving. This is so good.

This one is from the 80s also – delicious, from the back of tortilla package
Apple Turnovers with Tortillas
8 whole-wheat tortillas
1 can apple pie filling
4 oz. (1 cup) grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
Cinnamon and sugar
Oil for frying

Place 1/4 cup pie filling on each tortilla. Top with cheese and fold as for a closed burrito. Fry in hot oil until crisp. (I think I remember them not being completely submerged, I probably turned them over??)

Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and serve hot with whipped cream or ice cream. YUMMY

And, lastly, this Tostada recipe is so off the wall, I had to try it and we had it quite a few times before I lost the recipe. First made it 8/5/97.

Heather’s (she was the food editor for the Grass Valley newspaper) Version of Mexican Lindo’s Tostada

Fry until crisp (or bake a corn or flour tortilla. Top with:
Hot refried beans
Finely shredded iceberg lettuce
Chopped green onion
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar
2 T. sugar
1/4 tsp. garlic salt (don’t use-I must have just used garlic powder) & salt
Lots of fresh ground black pepper
Pinch of dried Mexican oregano

Shake the dressing well and taste, add more vinegar if needed. Pour over the tostada and pass some salsa verde, if desired. “The tostada should be swimming in the dressing,” so Heather says.

Note: just noticed I wrote on the recipe, I made tortilla bowls to serve this in. (didn’t know I had the tortilla forms for so long.)

That’s all for now, but I’m sure having fun going thru this old recipes to see if I can bring some up to date.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cleaning Again!! by cjs (Oh my, I found anoth...)
I'm especially loving the tomato and garlic sauce.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Cleaning Again!! by cjs (Oh my, I found anoth...)
Boy - talk about some goodies!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cleaning Again!! by Harborwitch (Boy - talk about som...)
Oh fun! I am for sure going to try that chocolate sauce recipe. How long would you say it keeps in the refrigerator? Or is that ever a problem...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cleaning Again!! by esgunn (Oh fun! I am for su...)
Saved the chocolate sauce. I wish I had this last year cause the recipe I found was just icky. This one sounds so much richer.

I wonder if this could be canned?
  Re: Re: Cleaning Again!! by DFen911 (Saved the chocolate ...)
Yes, I remember canning it a couple of times, Denise. Erin, I don't know how long it will last - I always kept one container for us and it was gone in no time....those were the days the kids were still around.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com