Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears
  Re: (...)
This was so ridiculously easy, fast and delicious, I could not believe it. I fixed kind of a salisbury steak thingee (cube steak, demi-glace with a can of mushrooms) served over Giada's raviolis. Needed something more.

[Image: SauteedPears.jpg]

(I wrote it up 'cause it's going in one of the books as a side)
Sautéed Pears

Easy, easy and so fast! Tastes delicious and great with beef, what more could you ask for?

2 Pears
2 T. unsalted butter
Pinch of nutmeg or grated fresh nutmeg

Melt the butter in an 8- to 10-inch non-nonstick skillet over medium heat. While the butter is heating, slice the pear, unpeeled and don’t worry about the seeds, in slices, each about 3/8” wide. You should get 6 out of each pear.

When the butter is hot lay half the pear slices in one layer in the skillet and grind or sprinkle a very light coating of nutmeg over each slice. Cook on the first side until browned, about 3 to 5 minutes, turn them over and brown the other side. Remove the cooked pears to a heated plate and keep warm, while cooking the remaining pear slices.
------
It was delicious with the beef and by itself. What a fast tasty dinner this was. If you use fresh nutmeg, it will be much better, which I'm always using now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears by cjs (This was so ridiculo...)
Love them, Jean! I have served them with pork and duck. I find they take well to seasoning, cardamom is our favourite, and also are nice grilled. Thanks for the reminder.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears by Lorraine (Love them, Jean! I ...)
Now I have the idea for a dinner. Thank you both! We found a market that sells duck breast and those pears would be amazing - cardamom is my favorite! I think this will make a nice "special" dinner for next month's splurge!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears by Harborwitch (Now I have the idea ...)
These are a perfect match with pork tenderloin with a vanilla cider cream sauce.
  Re: Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears by Trixxee (These are a perfect ...)
darn, the first spice I reached for was cardamom, but didn't think of it soon enough and didn't have time to smash the pods. Will do again - I have another pear! Whoever does them, please post a picture - I'll need a good one for the book...... please.

Pork and duck - yes, I was just so surprised at how well they went with beef.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears by Trixxee (These are a perfect ...)
Trixee is that recipe here somewhere - it sound divine and I must have missed it The pears would be awfully good with that!
  Re: Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears by Harborwitch (Trixee is that recip...)
Here you go, HW! I would leave out the broth (or use much less). I did the first time and it was perfect, this last time I used it and the sauce was a little too thin.

http://foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com/2...hould.html
  Re: Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears by Harborwitch (Trixee is that recip...)
I never thought of serving it with beef, either, although years ago I made a pear chutney and used it on burgers.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears by Lorraine (I never thought of s...)
"pear chutney and used it on burgers." HELLO??????
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears by Trixxee (Here you go, HW! I ...)
Thank you so much! Looks sooooo good!