What's for Dinner, Thursday, 2/24?
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone?

I made a Cannellini bean and bacon salad yesterday and I'm thawing out a filet - hopefully it will be a good picture for 'small plates.'

OT - all of you who over the years have said the cookbooks should have pictures, THANKS A LOT! This is a lot of work, but, hopefully will be worth it. Bless my neighborhood, I have scoured eveyone's cupboards and china cabinets for one off plates to use in pictures.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 2/24? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Garage sales and Goodwill are also wonderful places to get 'one of a kind' buck or two items. I get them all the time. They also have cloth napkins that can double as a 'tablecloth' in closeup shots. It's kinda fun!

But good for you scouring your neighbor's wares. What a thrifty person you are. BTW, you know that you could also recruit some of us to make a dish, take a photo, now you have access to dishes and linens across the continent!

Do not know what we are having tonight yet. I will have to wait for inspiration from the persons on here today.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 2/24? by luvnit (Garage sales and Goo...)
I go to the TJ Maxx and Tuesday Morning stores for table linens and serving pieces. Kohl's has some deep discounts on seasonal linens, but by the time the price is really low, the stock is very picked over. I usually buy all white ware and try to find unusual shaped pieces. For every day, we still use Corelle... been thinking about getting something nicer, but really can't justify the expense.

Young daughter is planning to make a pot roast for our dinner tonight, the recipe in the CAH Slow cooker cookbook. Made it before and it was delicious! We have concert tickets for tonight - the Opole Philharmonic of Poland is here. The program: Overture to Mozart's Die Zauberflöte; the velvet fantasy of Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Op. 11 with Evgeni Mikhailov; and the nobility of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 2/24? by HomeCulinarian (I go to the TJ Maxx ...)
You're doing it again, Jeannette! Have fun.

What a great idea and a wonderful gesture, Laura! (Be careful, I have your offer in writing, you know!) I scoured the neighborhood because after 50 years of buying serving dishes, no way in h*ll would Roy let me thru the door with MORE!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 2/24? by cjs (You're doing it agai...)
I'm going for Noble Pig's clafoutis. I will add some mushrooms, I think.

http://noblepig.com/2011/02/21/chicken-s...px?ref=rss
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 2/24? by Trixxee (I'm going for Noble ...)
Yesterday at the store, I decided I'd pick up dinner for tonight. I wanted to keep it simple since the weekend should be adventurous. So we're having BBQ ribs, corn on the cob, and green beans.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 2/24? by Gourmet_Mom (Yesterday at the sto...)
Gymnastics was cancelled for tongiht because of the snow. So, beer braised chicken thighs. Can't decide on noodles or baked potatoes for a side. Steamed broccoli and carrots.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 2/24? by esgunn (Gymnastics was cance...)
Patty melts here. I had the onions already made and the burgers ready to grill. Quick, easy, and delicious (okay, I did skip healthy....).
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 2/24? by HomeCulinarian (I go to the TJ Maxx ...)
Quote:

Overture to Mozart's Die Zauberflöte; the velvet fantasy of Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Op. 11 with Evgeni Mikhailov; and the nobility of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67.

Oooooh! I LOVE Die Zauberflöte, especially the Papageno/Papagena duet and the Queen of the Night. Also am a big fan of Chopin, but my preferences with Beethoven run to his 7th, not his 5th (not to diminish that, at all). Great program!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 2/24? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Labs - The pianist was fantastic! He played two encores before intermission, and the orchestra played two encores as well! I'm a symphony newbie. Young daughter took up the cello at age 10 and got fairly good - eventually made first chair in the local youth orchestra. Through that we've begun to enjoy classical music and still have a lot to learn.