Help, please . . . again!
  Re: (...)
Well, here I am . . . turning to the crew that I know I can count on for good advice (and recipes). I just took a call from a lady who would like to host a "ladies' tea" fundraiser for 200 people. She had the typical chicken salad on croissant, fruit cup, scones, etc. in mind, but I would love to take this one step further and actually do this with finger sandwiches, maybe some cool litttle wrap roll-ups, some individual small sweets - know where I am going with this?

So guys, roll this around a bit and give me some of your ideas, I already know they will be fabulous. Nobody in this area does anything like this and it would be a really fabulous opportunity to produce something very cool. But bear in mind it would need to be something that I can produce relatively economically and get out to 200 people. I am thinking of placing several plates of sandwiches on the tables, with sweets following. But I am really open to ideas.

I know that Lorraine said Gil was a guru producing wonderful food cheaply and has the catering background, not to mention Jean who is probably hurdling through Master Cook as she reads this. But I am sure the rest of you have all have something to contribute as well.

Can't wait to see what you have to offer!
  Re: Help, please . . . again! by iBcookin (Well, here I am . . ...)
My first thought is the cucumber spread I made for my NYE buffet. It makes a great finger sandwich spread. It is inexpensive to make. I'll go find the recipe and add to my post...

The Best Cucumber Spread
2 medium cucumbers
11 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 green onions, chopped, white & green parts
2 T chopped parsley
1/3 cup mayo
1 t garlic salt
1 t dried chives
1/2 t seasoned pepper
1/4 t hot pepper sauce

Peel cukes. Slice in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Grate cukes by hand or with a food processor. Squeeze cukes by the handfuls, the place on several layers of paper towels. Cover with more paper towels, press hard to squeeze out all moisture.

In bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade, combine everything except the cukes until well mixed. Stir in cukes, adding more mayo if needed for spreading consistency. Stores in the fridge for 7 to 10 days.
Serving ideas: Spread on thin bread for party sandwiches, or serve with crackers or as a dip for fresh veggies.

Re: Re: Help, please . . . again! by HomeCulinarian (My first thought is ...)
Exactly the type of thing I am looking for! I knew you guys would have brilliant suggestions!
  Re: Re: Help, please . . . again! by iBcookin (Exactly the type of ...)
"Jean who is probably hurdling through Master Cook as she reads this."

Now, that's scary!! What are you doing in my mind??? I have one sandwich in mind that is spectacular - be right back.

I did this one for a couple of weddings and the oohs and aahs were wonderful and it is delicious. I think it originally came from Martha Stewart....can't remember. For a dramatic presentation, the sesame seeds need to be toasted golden brown. darn, I didn't get any pictures....

* Exported from MasterCook *

SESAME-CRUSTED CHICKEN SALAD TEA SANDWICHES

1 med onion -- skin on, sliced in half
6 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
2 sprig fresh thyme
1 3 1/2 lb. chicken -- giblets removed, rinsed & patted dry.
1/2 c mayonnaise -- plus 2 T. - homemade or prepared
1 tbsp dark sesame oil
2 tbsps fresh chives, snipped
2 tbsps fresh cilantro -- finely chopped
3 scallions -- white & light gr. parts only,
thinly sliced crosswise to yield 1/4 cup.
Kosher salt & freshly grd. black pepper
24 slice thinly sliced white sandwich bread
10 tbsps unsalted butter, at room temp.
1/4 c sesame seeds, toasted
Mizuna leaves, for garnish

Place onion, peppercorns, bay, & thyme in large pot; add chicken w/just
enough cold water to cover.
Cover & bring to simmer; uncover & cook for 1 hour. Drain chicken, reserving the cooking liquid, & set chicken aside to cool.
Discard seasoning & refrigerate or freeze stock for future use.

When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin & discard. Refrig.,
covered, till well chilled.

In a small bowl, mix together the mayo & sesame oil.
Add this to the chicken & combine well. Add cilantro, chives, & scallions & combine well.
Add salt & pepper to taste. Refrigerate, covered, till ready to use.

Spread each bread slice w/butter, reserving some butter for garnishing.
Spread an even layer of chix salad onto half of the slices of bread.
Top w/other half of slices to make sandwiches.
Trim the crusts. Cut each sandwich on the diagonal.
Arrange the sandwiches long-edge down in a row to form a horizontal
pyramid.
Spread the remaining butter along one side of the pyramid.
Spread the toasted sesame seeds along the buttered edge to cover.
Garnish the platter w/mizuna leaves and serve.

Yield: "2 dz"
NOTES : The chicken salad may be made a day in advance & kept in an
airtight container in the frig.

Note: One of the weddings I did this for was in Sept. 2001 and I happen to have the costs written on a note - be interesting to see what it would cost now.

$12.91/36 portions ($.36 per)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help, please . . . again! by cjs ("Jean who is probabl...)
Here is a link to a discussion we had on ideas for roll ups AKA pinwheels
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Help, please . . . again! by esgunn (Here is a link to a ...)
I thought I had remembered that thread when I read Linda's post. That one had some great ideas. This one's so simple, it seems silly to add, but I stole this idea from a Christmas party one time. It's nothing more than mayo (or mayo mixed with cream cheese) with crumbled bacon added smeared on a bread round a little larger than a cherry tomato and topped with a slice of cherry tomato and sprinkled with chopped chive or parsley. Tasted like a BLT.

Another simple one...this one uses those small rectangular finger rolls. I haven't seen them in a while...could use Parker House, too. Take the rolls out of the foil pan and slice them in half. Top the bottom half of the rolls with GOOD ground mustard and a tad of mayo, thin slices of ham, and thin sliced Swiss cheese. Put the top back on and return to pan. Heat until cheese is melted. Remove from pan and slice into individual sandwiches.

The thing about this one is it's a fast and easy way to make several little sandwiches all at one time. This is probably a trick you already know, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Help, please . . . again! by Gourmet_Mom (I thought I had reme...)
Be sure to find out what SHE means by "tea." If she means "formal tea," you'll need quite a spread (and I don't mean a pimento spread. although that may be part of it).

At one place I worked, the owners of the company took all of us (not just the women) to a formal tea, and it was AMAZING. I don't remember enough about it to give you many details, but I DO remember enough to say that it wasn't just a quick, company-lunch outing.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Help, please . . . again! by labradors (Be sure to find out ...)
The last tea I went to had wonderful scones, with devonshire cream, lemon curd and raspberry jam. CI has a fantastic cream scone recipe.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Help, please . . . again! by esgunn (The last tea I went ...)
Love these ideas, this is just what I was looking for.

She called it a "bag ladies' tea" and again it is going to be a fundraiser, so she is thinking of budgets. She was looking at the standard chicken salad on crossaint with a fruit cup and possibly scones. I was the one that kind of headed in the direction of the finger sandwiches and pinwheels.

And I am not terribly fond of scones, but that just may be because I have never had a really good one. But if I do that, then to do it properly I will have to provide fixins like the curd and jam and I think that would raise the price considerably.

But keep those ideas a comin, something sweet as well.

Just to keep you guys updated. I have 3 weddings booked - all of them are getting married on the course with the reception afterward. Plus I am getting calls for Christmas parties already. And lots of reunions, baby showers, rehearsal dinners.

It will be nice since last year we concentrated on the course and bringing back the golfers. That fine dining card just took all the steam out of our sails on the restaurant side and we eventually kind of gave up. But this year I am working on sandwich specials that I can more vigorously market to the golfers as well as the businesses in the area. Hopefully the restaurant/banquet aspect will contribute considerably more to the revenue stream.

I just know that I am light years beyond where we started last year, heck this wasn't even on the radar last year at this time!
  Re: Re: Help, please . . . again! by iBcookin (Love these ideas, th...)
Linda, the way the economy has been, it is just amazing how far you and your team have brought this project - just darn amazing!!! I can't begin to say how proud you all should be of your own little selves!!!

Putting the thinking cap back on.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com