Party Planning Help
  Re: (...)
Hi.
I'm an active forum reader and hope to be a better contributor in the future. I am planning a family birthday party for my 7 year old and I am at a loss as to what to serve. I've got 10 adults, 4 children and a vegeterian. We usually order a tray of sandwiches and I usually serve come combination of salads, mac and cheese, broccoli casserole, sausage and peppers..etc. I'm bored with my usual offerings! To complicate things, any suggestions I could make ahead would be greatly since the day of the party we are having a kids party first. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
  Re: Party Planning Help by alexsmom (Hi.[br]I'm an active...)
I'll have to give this some thought. When's the party? And what are some of the Birthday Boy/Girl's favorite things to eat? I would try to plan the dinner around his/her favorites, but maybe dressed up a bit.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Party Planning Help by Gourmet_Mom (I'll have to give th...)
How does your family feel about lasagna? There are some nice recipes in CAH for meatless lasagna. Then you could serve meatballs or Italian sausages as a side for the meat eaters.

Another recipe that is nice made ahead is chicken cacciatore. It always tastes better then next day. That leaves your vegetarian out, though.
  Re: Re: Party Planning Help by HomeCulinarian (How does your family...)
Some ideas I've done for kids/teenagers -

* Exported from MasterCook *

MEXIMUFFINS
a Chef's Journey recipe

Topping:
1 small can Ortega Chilies -- chopped
1 small can chopped olives
1 small can tomato sauce
1/4 cup oil (any kind)
12 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1 can mushrooms -- (8 oz.) stems & pcs.
------
2 pkgs. English Muffins -- split open

Mix together all but the muffins and put in refrigerator until ready to serve. Can be made a day ahead.

Spread on muffins and put under broiler until bubbly, and serve hot.

Description: Here's one that my kids loved when they were teens - always included in their (and a lot of our) parties -

-----
Kids and adults love this one -

MARSHMALLOW/CREAM CHEESE DIP

8 ozs cream cheese at room temperature
1 jar marshmallow crème -- (7 oz.)
Assorted fruit: strawberries -- pineapple, grapes, bananas, melons

Combine softened cream cheese and marshmallow crème; mix until well blended.

Serve with the assorted fruits.

Description:
"No matter how full people are, this is always completely gone!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BUD'S BEANS*****

2 Tbsp butter
1 lb hamburger -- browned in above butter
1 pkg Lipton onion soup mix
1/2 cup water
1 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp mustard
2 tsp cider vinegar
2 1-lb. cans B&M Baked beans
16 ounces Red Kidney beans -- drained

Saute the hamburger in the butter until no longer pink.
Add the rest of the ingredients; mix all together in an oven-proof dish.
Cover and bake at 400°F. for 30-40 minutes.

Description:
"This was one of my Dad's favorite dishes and it has become a real family favorite."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
How about setting up a taco bar - all the condiments could be cut up the day before; the meat cooked in the a.m. and heated in the oven with the tortillas.

We did a banana split 'bar' for a kid's party one time - oh my, did they ever have a ball with that one.

O.K., I'll stop now.... Everyone else will have ideas for you also and your problem will be to decide between them!

Oh, and let us not forget Drunken Rootbeer floats - Un-drunken for kids - chocolate syrup, ice cream, filled with rootbeer and another squiggle of chocolate sauce over the top. (For the parents - add a couple shots of Vanilla vodka)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Party Planning Help by cjs (Some ideas I've done...)
I've got the same dilemma alexsmom (minus the vegetarian). My son will be 12 in early April and I'm trying to come up with something I haven't done before. We had our guest over so many times over the years, including several camping trips throughout the year that I don't know what to do differently. A baskin-robbins ice cream cake is tradition though.

A baked potato bar with all sorts of toppings has run through my mind as a side dish but that's where my mind ends.
  Re: Re: Party Planning Help by Trixxee (I've got the same di...)
I love doing fajitas for a crowd. I grill chicken, flank steak, and tons of veggies (peppers, zucchini, onions, eggplant, and anything else that strikes my fancy) and then toss them separately with a finishing sauce (okay, I use the sauce to marinate the chicken and steak ahead, too.) I heat flour tortillas, and both soft and hard corn tortillas.

I serve dinner with tons of sides...rice, beans, guac, cheese, queso (I know that's Spanish for cheese, but to me, unspecified cheese is cheddar, and queso is white, creamy, and may have jalapeños), salsa, chips, etc. and everyone can pick and choose what they want. It works really well, because everyone can pick and choose what they want. I always have a green salad and a fruit salad as well. People usually want to bring something, so I let them do dessert.

If there are going to be many little kiddos, however, I sometimes do mac & cheese muffins and mini pigs in a blanket, too.

Although there's a fair amount of prep, the last-minute stuff is pretty easy...just lots of bowls.
  Re: Re: Party Planning Help by karyn (I love doing fajitas...)
Thanks for all the great ideas!! The party is next Sat. so I have a few days to plan and my son is a typical 7 year old so he likes kid food.
  Re: Re: Party Planning Help by alexsmom (Thanks for all the g...)
Let us know how the party turns out and what you serve. Have a great time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Party Planning Help by cjs (Let us know how the ...)
I very rarely cook for kids, so I'm not much of a help, but I did have my nieces and nephew (and brother and SIL) visit for a few days and the kids (ages 11 and 14) couldn't get enough of the grilled chicken with blueberry bbq sauce (because it was "really good and has blueberries in it!") I have also grilled tofu slices with the same sauce and it is very tasty.

The sauce was in one of last years' CAH issues (#81, June 2010).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Party Planning Help by foodfiend (I very rarely cook f...)
Marshmallow cream cheese dip..? I so hate you right now....