Having a baptism... Need a sidedish
  Re: (...)
I am having my son's baptism in a few weeks. He has requested Chili Dogs for the lunch afterward.

I will be serving Chili Dogs with all the fixins', potato chips and Cowboy Beans (just baked beans). I feel like I need another side and I don't want a potato salad, I want a pasta salad. Anyone have some great pasta salad ideas?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Having a baptism... Need a sidedish by luvnit (I am having my son's...)
If I make pasta salad, I use Erin's Cobb Pasta Salad. But it has to have the blue cheese to be good. So if you don't like the blue cheese, it's really nothing more than a regular pasta salad with Italian Dressing. Last time I made it, I threw in some broccoli florets that needed to be used and left out the chicken.

Another suggestion is Fancy Macaroni (a Pioneer Woman recipe that includes bacon and onions), Jean's French Onion Mac & Cheese (similar to PW recipe), or Patti La Belle's Five Cheese Mac and Cheese. (This one's not baked and is nice dumped in a crockpot set on Low.) This one's probably your best choice over the pasta salad idea, 'cause what kid doesn't LOVE Mac & Cheese. (Well, other than me when I was younger, but I was weird.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Having a baptism... Need a sidedish by luvnit (I am having my son's...)
If this is Baptist, then be sure to have a dip for the chips. If it's Catholic, sprinkle them with something.

Not sure with pasta salads, but I'd say something cool and creamy in contrast to the chili dogs.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Having a baptism... Need a sidedish by Gourmet_Mom (If I make pasta sala...)
It did cross my mind to make Erin's Cobb Pasta Salad, but was trying to think of something more kid friendly. I think you may have hit it just right with the Mac-n-Cheese in a crock pot. That may be just what I need.

Thanks!

(And thank you for your input too Rob. )
Laura
  Re: Re: Having a baptism... Need a sidedish by luvnit (It did cross my mind...)
I just looked, Jean will get a kick out of this one...LOL! Her's has Velveeta!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Having a baptism... Need a sidedish by luvnit (It did cross my mind...)
The Paul Dean Corn Salad isn't pasta - but it's corn, cheese, mayo, and fritos. Well sneak in the bell peppers and onions - but hey kids love this stuff!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Having a baptism... Need a sidedish by Harborwitch (The Paul Dean Corn S...)
Some good ideas here, Laura. This pasta salad is one my grandkids really lliked - just omit the onion if you think your kids won't like.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BBQ MACARONI SALAD

16 ozs salad macaroni -- cooked
1/2 cup red onion -- minced, red or white
8 ozs marinara sauce
1 1/2 cup celery -- chopped
1 cup sweet pickle relish
4 ozs black olives -- chopped or sliced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
salt and pepper

Drain, rinse the macaroni and mix together with the onion, marinara sauce, celery, relish, olives & chili powder.
Add the mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, salt and pepper and mix together
Cover and refrigerate a few hours or overnight. Stays great made a day or two ahead, might have to add a tad of mayonnaise to moisten if made 2 days ahead.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Having a baptism... Need a sidedish by cjs (Some good ideas here...)
No. Wait! Put the mac & cheese ONTO the chili dogs! He'll probably go bonkers for that.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Having a baptism... Need a sidedish by labradors (No. Wait! Put the ...)
Then batter and deep fry them??

(Not it sounds like a Paula Deen dish. Gotta love Paula!)
Laura
  Re: Re: Having a baptism... Need a sidedish by luvnit (Then batter and deep...)
What about Alexsmom's make ahead mac & cheese? Sounds like a perfect complement to me!