Quinoa Salad
  Re: (...)
In my quest the clean out the pantry, fridge and three freezers (one full and two compartments), I made this recipe today and it is wonderful!

I can imagine having it on hand all summer and pair it with nearly any grill protein. Or have it alone as a meal itself with a piece of toasted bread and a glass of wine.

The only thing I added (cleaning out the fridge) is one cup of shredded cabbage. But this is a versatile recipe, as you can see.

Quinoa Salad Ingredients:
• 1 cup quinoa
• 1 1/2 cups cold water
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 cup snow peas, shell peas, celery, or green beans
• 1 - 2 small carrots, peeled and sliced thin
• 1/2 green or red pepper, sliced thin
• 1 medium ripe tomato
• 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, cilantro, or basil
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted sunflower seeds or toasted cashews
• Options: Chopped scallions, dried unsweetened cranberries, raisins or apricots, Greek olives, minced jalapeno pepper, fresh mint
Dressing:
• 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/4 tsp salt
• Fresh ground pepper
• Options: Pinch of cayenne, garlic powder or fresh minced garlic, minced fresh or dried ginger
Quinoa Salad Directions
1. The quinoa can be made ahead of time and refrigerated if you like
2. Soak the quinoa 15 minutes in cold water
3. Rinse thoroughly, pour off most of the water and drain through a large fine mesh strainer
4. Place in 2 qt pot with the water, salt and oil
5. Bring to a full boil
6. Cover the pot, let boil another minute, turn the heat down to very low, and cook for 15 minutes
7. Remove from heat and allow to sit five minutes with lid on
8. Fluff gently with a fork and set aside to cool. Setting the pan in a sink full of cold water cools the quinoa quickly
9. Steam the carrots and green veg for 5 minutes or until tender-crisp, drain, rinse in cold water and drain again
10. Chop the tomatoes, herb and cucumber
11. Blend dressing ingredients with a whisk or shake in a jar
12. Gently combine veggies, walnuts, quinoa and dressing in a large bowl
13. Cover and chill
Helpful Quinoa Hints:
• Quinoa has high oil content, so should be stored in the fridge or freezer to avoid becoming rancid
• A tight fitting lid is essential for even quinoa cooking
• Quinoa is coated with saponin, which will give it a bitter taste unless you rinse it a couple of times. Those tiny flaky bits in the rinse water are the saponin
• Because of its high protein content, quinoa is a satisfying meal with a few nuts and veggies added (see recipes below)
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Quinoa Salad by luvnit (In my quest the clea...)
Wow, I didn't know I should be storing my quinoa in the freezer!! Off to check it. Thanks for that hint.

the salad sounds good too, thanks Laura.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quinoa Salad by cjs (Wow, I didn't know I...)
Wow, Laura, this salad practically screams "spring!". Well, to me anyway...

Copied and filed. I've made a similar salad with a soy sauce-based dressing, but I like the idea of lemon in this one.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Quinoa Salad by foodfiend (Wow, Laura, this sal...)
I have yet to try quinoa. When I see it next, I'm going to pick up a package and give this a try. I think this might be a good one for a first try. I agree with Vicci...this screams "spring"!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Quinoa Salad by Gourmet_Mom (I have yet to try qu...)
I just looked at my quinoa and it's fine...don't know that I believe that warning.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quinoa Salad by cjs (I just looked at my ...)
Not sure that I believe that warning either Jean. I have had that quinoa in my pantry for probably a year. It tasted just great. I know I would have put it in the freezer if I had read it on the label. I do remember reading to put it in a container with a tight lid. I even bought a new container for it that screwed on. Whatever. My quinoa was fine.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura