How Do You Reheat...
  Re: (...)
Certain leftovers? And I mean, not incorporating them into another recipe, just plain reheating leftovers.

Last weekend I made a fabulous baked butterflied chicken, but I have 3/4 leftover, along with the baked potato slices. I just want to redo the breast for the Hubby, and a thigh for me.

So I'm thinking to microwave the breast for about 2 minutes, maybe half power, then toaster oven for 10 minutes to crisp the skin again. Obviously, the thigh would require less attention, but along the same lines.

The potato slices can just go into the toaster oven to re-heat and crisp a bit.

What are YOUR recommendations on reheating meals? I'd love to hear them.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: How Do You Reheat... by BarbaraS (Certain leftovers? ...)
I rarely reheat anything. I usually re-purpose it. If I have a lasagna or other dense pasta/casserole type dish, I just put it in a cold oven, set on 180 and bring it to temp....or I zap it in the microwave.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: How Do You Reheat... by Gourmet_Mom (I rarely reheat anyt...)
A slow oven does a good job for a lot of things. A slow toaster oven, likewise but, since the elements are so much closer to the food, you may need to cover the food loosely with foil to keep it from burning on top. If you want the top to be crisp, remove the foil for the last few minutes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: How Do You Reheat... by labradors (A slow oven does a g...)
"Last weekend I made a fabulous baked butterflied chicken, but I have 3/4 leftover, along with the baked potato slices. I just want to redo the breast for the Hubby, and a thigh for me."

Barbara, the way I would heat your leftovers ( and the way I do) is cover the chicekn in a baking dish with foil and heat at 350 for approx. 15 minutes; remove the cover and return to oven until hot.

The potatoes, I would lay out in ony layer on a sheet pan, uncovered and heat, again, in a 350 oven for 10-12 minutes until hot and crispy.

350°F oven is really our friend for heating things. When I was personal cheffing, this is how I would have my customers heat their dishes.

Also, if you have a FoodSaver, it is so easy to heat leftovers in simmering (NEVER BOILING) water - it's a gentle soft way to heat items that don't have to be crispy.
Hope this helps. Enjoy your leftovers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: How Do You Reheat... by cjs ("Last weekend I made...)
Good info, Jean. I was afraid of recommending 350, for fear of drying out the chicken. I only do the low and slow if I have time. In a rush, I use the microwave. It's good to know 350 will work and not dry out the dish. Thanks!
Daphne
  Re: How Do You Reheat... by BarbaraS (Certain leftovers? ...)
Quote:

Last weekend I made a fabulous baked butterflied chicken...

Could you have substituted moths, instead?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: How Do You Reheat... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
When I reheat in the micro it's always 1 minute on high to take the cold edge off. Then I reduce to 50% power for 2 minute intervals.
  Re: Re: How Do You Reheat... by DFen911 (When I reheat in the...)
I couldn't say anything re microwave, I don't use it, but I do remember when I was p.c.ing, one customer heated her individual beef wellingtons in the microwave and it worked - I couldn't believe it.

350°F. is a great temperature for just about everything, but, the foods must be watched and not allowed to stay in too long. This is where an instant thermometer comes in so handy - pull the food when it reaches 160°F.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: How Do You Reheat... by cjs (I couldn't say anyth...)
"I do remember when I was p.c.ing, one customer heated her individual beef wellingtons in the microwave and it worked - I couldn't believe it."

Me either! That's one thing I always do in the oven...things with a crust like pot pie or something.
Daphne
  Re: Re: How Do You Reheat... by Gourmet_Mom ("I do remember when ...)
Thanks everyone!! Dinner came out great last night and I still have a thigh and 2 drumsticks leftover, so I'll pull the meat, Foodsaver, and freeze it.

I was trying to start a thread on how everyone re-heat dishes. Like, for leftover quiche, that's easy. Microwave at half power until desired hotness. Same for smashie potatoes.

What I love to do with leftover Macs N Cheeses (my recipe) is to fry it up in buttah!! Add a little more cheddar and some more crumples of saltines. It's the Hubby's favorite!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.