Another Taste of Southport
  Re: (...)
I don't know how you want to do this. Here is the desrcipsion. If you want to view it before you read about it...scroll down.

So here it is:

First up was two cream cheese sauces with crackers. These were purchased from Costco. I hope to find the Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce. It was AWESOME! The Mediterranean Tapenade was what it is…tapenade.

Next was the Warm Bacon Vinaigrette on Mixed Greens (I got excited and forgot to get a picture of this one.) This was so so. I didn’t get the bacon in it AT ALL.

Next was the Brown Gumbo Sauce over Shrimp and Grits. The chef suggested using this with rice, pasta, or on any seafood or seafood combination. It was okay, but I was not WOWED by it. If you like a heavy dark roux sauce that is heavy on bell peppers, you would probably like it. There were many in the room that liked it and order it at his restaurant regularly. Again, I got excited and forgot to get a pic…BUT this time, I went to the kitchen and got a shot. (The chef who presented the Vinaigrette was in the process of tossing about 10 of the salads…oh well.)

Then there was a Red Pepper Sauce on Roasted Veggies. I was VERY UNIPRESED with this one. Everything on the plate was cold and unappetizing. BIG disappointment.

Finally, the winner of the day! Kelli knocked out of the park again this year! She’s the one that presented how to make Gravalox and the many ways to use it last year! She has inspired me again this year! She presented a Balsamic Maple Vinaigrette Three Ways. Some of you may remember I don’t usually like sweet stuff on my meat. This is the exception! The Balsamic Vinegar balances well with the Maple Syrup for a WONDERFUL flavor. I even stopped at the grocery store on the home to get some GOOD maple syrup. I will be doing this one. The three ways was using it for a marinade for pork loin rubbed with garlic, salt, and pepper; vinaigrette for the salad under the thinly sliced pork; and a sauce for the pork topped with a WONDERFUL crouton (a thin slice of a baguette toasted with garlic and herbs).

There was a Powdered Sugar Glaze on Coconut Pound cake presentation after this, but I missed it. I was in the kitchen chatting with Kelli and taking pictures of her dish. She is so sweet and loves to share and chat about food! Mom is dying for me to do an internship with her. Kelli said she’d take me on….but it’ll have to wait until retirement. Summers are a BAD time to be in the kitchen. She discouraged it. But I’m putting that on the back burner for sure! She said she took on a kid a couple of years ago as a dish washer and in months she had him running the kitchen, just showing him a little bit at the time. He is now at Johnson and Wales getting his degree! She doesn’t have a degree, I don’t think. She learned by working her way through kitchens in Europe. She would be a perfect teacher!

Even though there was a threat of bad weather, it turned and missed us, so I was able to stay and see the presentation of Mom’s trip to Guatemala. It was excellent…the guy that put it together did a GREAT job. It was a great day!

Here is a link to the slideshow of my afternoon. The venue for the event is the Community Center on a bluff overlooking the river. It’s a very dramatic view. Today it was nasty, but still a cool view. There are a few of a container ***** going by. The last few pictures are of the Old Yacht Basin. This is the view from Mom’s front porch. We were driving down her street, and she told me to take a picture of the dramatic sunset over the water.

A Taste of Southport 2011
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Another Taste of Southport by Gourmet_Mom (I don't know how you...)
As usual - beautiful pictures, interesting food. That raspberry chipotle sauce is wonderful stuff. I'll look more closely tomorrow - Chopped, dinner, and bedtime distracted me.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Another Taste of Southport by Harborwitch (As usual - beautiful...)
How interesting - the "Taste of ___" are so different out here. I've never been to one where it is sit down. We all walk around tasting as we go and there are scattered tall tables you can eat from if needed.

I have some of the Raspberry Chipotle sauce in the fridge right now and we sure like it. The brand out here is, Fischer Wieser 'The Original (hmmmmm ) Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce. While I was pulling this one out of the fridge, I saw another one that is really good also, Thai Style Marionberry Elixir. Both are terrific.

Wouldn't an internship with Chef Kelly be a wonderful experience to look forward to??? That's great!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another Taste of Southport by cjs (How interesting - th...)
Great pix, Daphne. Thanks for sharing them and your descriptions of the day. When I saw the pix from your mom's front porch, it made me want to be there so much! Maybe next fall....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Another Taste of Southport by Mare749 (Great pix, Daphne. ...)
Love the pictures!!!! Brown Gumbo Sauce over Shrimp and Grits...just ok? Gosh this sounds so good. I'd be very interested to hear how you would tweak it. Love the pictures of the marina
  Re: Re: Another Taste of Southport by DFen911 (Love the pictures!!!...)
Denise, remind me....I'll post the recipe for you and we can both play.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Another Taste of Southport by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, remind me......)
I am totally down!
  Re: Re: Another Taste of Southport by DFen911 (I am totally down! [...)
I won't be able to post it until Thursday at best. I'd put it off until the weekend, but I'll be busy then, too. I've got VERY special dinner plans Saturday!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Another Taste of Southport by Gourmet_Mom (I won't be able to p...)
"I've got VERY special dinner plans Saturday!" And, do we know about this special night????????????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another Taste of Southport by cjs ("I've got VERY speci...)
Yes, you do! We're meeting Bill and Jane for dinner in Chalreston at Poogan's Porch!!!!
Daphne