St. Paddy's Day is Coming! IT'S HERE! 2011
  Re: (...)
And, it's almost here - a week from tomorrow. (Just thought of something - those who observe Lent, can't participate, can you???)

What will all of us 'heathens' plan for our menus??

I have two recipes that I always make - Atties corned beef and the one soda bread that I really like, but it's getting boring...... Usually do bubble & squeek, too.

Here's a link to [Email]C@H's[/Email] Corned beef if anyone needs the
recipe.
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=&vc=1ecipe

So, let's hear some new ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: St. Paddy's Day is Coming! IT'S HERE! 2011 by cjs (And, it's almost her...)
Why wouldn't someone observing Lent be able to participate in St. Patrick's Day? We observe Lent and there are no restrictions unless you have given up green beer or corned beef for Lent.

Or are you thinking of something else that involves Lent?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day is Coming! by luvnit (Why wouldn't someone...)
Can you tell I'm not Catholic? I thought meat had to be given up......What does a Norwegian know???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day is Coming! by luvnit (Why wouldn't someone...)
Quote:

Why wouldn't someone observing Lent be able to participate in St. Patrick's Day?

In the strict, Roman-Catholic tradition, one would not eat any meat or fat during the Lenten season, although fish would be allowed (sometimes just on Fridays). Orthodox observers would avoid all animal-based foods, even eggs, dairy and fish. Some Catholic dioceses that have a lot of Irishmen will allow a special dispensation to permit the corned beef on St. Patrick's Day - some, only if St. Patrick's Day is on a Friday.

The practise of "giving something up for Lent" (i.e. not specifically meat) is much more recent, and is often associated with some Protestant groups, rather than Catholics.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day is Coming! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Well then, O.K. - the Norwegian wasn't too far off base, just t0o old to be aware of the new fangled thinking...

So, what's on the menu for St. Paddy's day???
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day is Coming! by cjs (Well then, O.K. - th...)
I always make glazed corned beef, roasted brussel sprouts, and basil browned new potatoes.

It is a gym night, so I may need to make this on tuesday or Thursday will just be corned beef in the crock pot and a baked potato and a quick vegie.

I was raised Catholic but not a practicing catholic for a long time. As a kid the only concession I remember was fish on Fridays. I don't think we did that all year - but definately durring lent.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day is Coming! by esgunn (I always make glazed...)
We did a glazed corned beef from Cuisine a couple years ago that was really good. I'm thinking of getting that issue out to use that recipe and also try those reuben puffs that were in that issue. I wasn't real successful with them the first time so would like to try it again.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day is Coming! by Mare749 (We did a glazed corn...)
Oh, I'd forgotten about those Reuben puffs! I hope I have leftovers this year so that I can give them a try too.
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day is Coming! by karyn (Oh, I'd forgotten ab...)
I hope I have enough leftovers for a corned beef 'reuben' pizza for Roy.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day is Coming! by cjs (I hope I have enough...)
Well, to make decisions harder, here are some ideas from the about.com newsletter this a.m.....

St. Paddy’s Day Ideas from about.com

Irish Potato Cakes with Sour Cream Sauce

* * * * Sour Cream Sauce * * * *
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped green onions (about 2 onions)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Few drops hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper

* * * * Irish Potato Cakes * * * *
1 1/4 pounds yellow flesh potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces (about 4 medium potatoes)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup grated mild Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup sliced green onions (about 4 onions)
1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil

To make Sour Cream Sauce: In mixing bowl, gently whisk together all sauce ingredients. Refrigerate.

To make Irish Potato Cakes: In medium saucepan cook potatoes in 2 inches boiling water, covered, 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, then shake potatoes over low heat 1 to 2 minutes to dry thoroughly. With electric hand mixer or potato masher, mash potatoes until smooth. Beat in butter, milk and garlic until blended. Season with salt and pepper. Allow potatoes to cool; mix in cheese and green onions.

To form potato cakes, shape 1/2-cup portions of potato mixture into patties; coat on all sides with bread crumbs. Place on wax paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

In heavy non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add potato cakes and cook about 5 minutes, turning once, or until heated through and golden on both sides. Place on serving platter or 6 individual plates; top each potato cake with 1 tablespoon Sour Cream Sauce. Serves 6.

Monk’s Famous Seafood Chowder

Monks Bar and Restaurant is a famous Irish landmark in the village of Ballyvaughan, in County Clare, located in the West of Ireland. The Seafood Chowder is their signature dish.

8-10 fresh mussels (discard any that are open)
1 pint fish stock or clam juice
1 pint milk
1 pint heavy cream
½ lb total mixed fresh diced carrots, diced green beans, peas and corn
1 Tbs flour, dissolved in 3-4 Tbs water
1 lb mixed fresh fish fillets, such as hake, scrod or salmon, cut into coarse chunks
¼ lb fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces
Lemon wedges to garnish

Bring 1/4-inch water with a splash of white wine to a boil in a small sauce pan. Add mussels, cover, and steam until just open, about 2-3 minutes. Remove mussels with slotted spoon (discard any that don’t open) and when cool, remove from shells, coarsely chop and set aside.

Combine the fish stock and milk in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Add the mixed vegetables and simmer until just beginning to soften, about 6-8 minutes.

Add the fish and shrimp and simmer until almost cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the cream, then slowly stir in the flour/water mixture to thicken. Simmer for 5 minutes to combine flavors.

Add mussels, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve in soup bowls garnished with a wedge of lemon.

Beef and Guinness Pie

Beef and Guinness Pie brings together two of Ireland's most famous products, beef and Guinness in a hale and hearty pie. The long-slow cooking of the filling creates not just perfectly tender beef, it also allows the flavor of the Guinness to permeate the meat and the vegetables and produce a thick, luscious sauce.

FOR THE PASTRY
7 oz/200g all purpose/plain flour
pinch of salt
4 oz/ 110g butter, cubed or an equal mix of butter and lard
2-3 tbsp cold water
1 egg, beaten for glaze

FOR THE FILLING
1oz/25g all purpose/plain flour
1 ¾lb/900g chuck steak cut into 1"/2.5cm cubes
¾z/ 20g butter
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 carrots chopped in to 1"/2.5cm cubes
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp tomato puree
17 fl/oz/500 ml Guinness or stout
1 ½ pints/300ml hot beef stock
2 tsp sugar
Salt and ground pepper

Place the flour in a large bowl and season with salt and ground black pepper, add the cubes of meat and toss well in the flour until evenly coated.

Heat the butter and oil in a large, heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish until the butter has melted. Add the meat to the fat in small batches and brown quickly all over for just a minute, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Add the onions and carrots to the pan and fry gently for about 2 minutes then return the meat to the pan with the Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, ale stock and sugar. Grind in plenty of black pepper and a little salt, stir well and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook slowly for about 2 hours until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened and is glossy. Remove from the heat, place into a 2½ pint/1.5 liter deep pie dish and leave to cool completely.

Heat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6.
Roll out the pastry to 1/8"/3mm. Cut a ¾"/2cm strip from the rolled-out pastry. Brush the rim of the pie dish with water and place the pastry strip around the rim, pressing it down. Cut out the remaining pastry about 1"/2.5cm larger than the dish. Sit a pie funnel in the center of the filling; it will support the pastry and stop it from sinking into the filling and becoming soggy.

Place the pastry lid over the top and press down to the edge and seal. trim off any excess pastry an crimp the edges with a fork or between your thumb and forefinger. Brush the top with beaten egg and make a hole in the center to reveal the pie funnel. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.

Optional - You can decorate the top of the pie with pastry trimmings as you like.
www.achefsjourney.com