Rye Bread
  Re: (...)
I just got a sack of rye flour and am ready to experiment. Does anyone else like rye bread as much as I do? I have a recipe for rye beer bread that I think may have come from Sharon, and another one for dill rye bread. Both were very good. If anyone has a favorite, please post it.

I'm thinking my first project may be the 18 hour bread recipe using 1/2 rye flour.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Rye Bread by Mare749 (I just got a sack of...)
Those are two of my favorites. Mmmmmmmm. I need to make rye bread.

I found this yesterday - the translation was really rough but this is what I could get.

No Knead Rye bread
200 g flour
50 g rye flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 pkg yeast
15 cl warm water
4 cl warm water

Proof yeast in 4 oz warm water w/2 tsp sugar

combine flour, salt, sugar in a large bowl - make a well in center and stir in yeast mixture and water. Combine until well mixed.

Put in a warm oven with a bowl of hot water until doubled.

Turn out and shape into a rough "loaf" in a container. Set in a warm place to rise. Bake at 240c for 20 minutes - spray with water and bake for another 10 minutes.

I thought I'd play with this when we get settled.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Rye Bread by Harborwitch (Those are two of my ...)
Maryann, you might want to try Beer & Rye pizza dough, page 112.

do you have light or dark rye flour?

This makes a beautiful (big) bread wreath, that is so flavorful!! I used to make it and fit a round of brie inside. Brie is just wonderful with Pumpernickel/Rye bread.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpernickel Brie Wreath

1 pkg.active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (~110 F.)
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp. salt
2 T. butter -- melted & cooled
1 egg -- separated
1/4 cup cocoa
1 T. caraway seed
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 cups rye flour
1 T. water
------
8 " round (about 2 lbs.) Brie cheese
Cluster of grapes.

In a large mixer bowl, soften yeast in warm water. Stir in molasses, salt, butter, egg yolk, cocoa, and caraway.
With an electric beater, slowly mix in all-purpose flour, scraping bowl often. Beat on medium speed for 8 minutes. With a heavy-duty mixer or heavy spoon, beat in rye flour, about 1/4 cup at a time.

Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead till smooth, about 5 min. Turn dough over in a greased bowl, cover w/plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place till doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Meanwhile, generously grease the outside of an 8" round cake pan and set in the center of a well-greased 14- by 17-inch b. sheet (or overlap two 10- by 15-inch rimless baking sheets, wrapping around the middle with foil to hold them together.)

Punch down dough, turn out, and knead on lightly floured board till smooth. Divide into 3 pieces. Roll one piece at a time (keep others covered) into a smooth 36" long rope. Place ropes side by side on one side of cake pan. Starting in the center, loosely braid ropes out to each end. Wrap braid around cake pan, stretching slightly if necessary to join ends together; pinch to seal.

Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place till almost double, 45 minutes to an hour. Beat together the egg white and the 1 T. water and lightly brush over braid (don't let egg mixture accumulate around cake pan, or bread may stick during baking).

Bake in a 350 F. oven for about 25 minutes or till well browned. Use a sharp knife to loosen bread around cake pan, and then lift out pan. With a wide spatula, slide wreath onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve or wrap airtight to store at room temp. up to 1 day; or freeze, wrapped, for longer storage.

To serve, place wreath on a large board or tray. Cut about a 3" section into 1/4" thick slices (to give braid some give), then fit fie into the center, spreading wreath if necessary to make it fit. Set bread slices back in place. Garish with a cluster of grapes.
Serves 12 to 16
-------
This braided wreath of pumpernickel exactly fits a round of Brie. Trimmed with a cluster of grapes, the pair makes a great appetizer at a wine tasting or other fall gathering. Slice bread thinly; spread the cheese lavishly.

You shape and bake the bread around a pan that's the same diameter as the cheese. To serve, just place the cheese inside the bread wreath.

Buy a round of ripe Brie by its diameter. Most that are 8" in dia. weigh about 2 lbs. You'll also need an 8" round cake pan to bake inside the wreath to hold its shape.

Or
Just bake a great braided loaf of pumpernickel.

Description:
"Sunset Magazine 6/27/89"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sharon posted this one also - WOW, I forgot all the notes/posts I kept with the recipe....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Five-Grain Bread with Walnuts - Sharon posted this

I printed this one out when Billy was here - thinking we might make it; but we were having too much fun.

I made this last week and Bob said I could just rotate between this and popcorn bread as far as he was concerned. It toasts beautifully, and is nice and moist. See my notes at the end of the recipe.

Five-Grain Bread with Walnuts
adapted from Carol Field
Makes 2 9 X 5-inch loaves
1 1/4cups (300 grams) walnut pieces
3 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast or 1 1/2 small cakes (27 grams) fresh
yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3 cups water, room temperature
3 3/4 cups (500 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups (125 grams) oat flour or finely ground rolled oats
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (125 grams) rye flour
1 cup less 1 tablespoon (125 grams) whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup (125 grams) brown rice flour (I used spelt flour instead of brown rice flour. - Sharon)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon (20 grams) salt

Toast the walnuts for 10 minutes in a 400° F oven; then chop in a food processor fitted with the steel blade or with a sharp knife to the size of a fat rice kernel. Do not grind them finely.

Stir the yeast into the warm water in a mixer bowl; let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in 3 cups water. Stir in the flours, walnuts, and salt with the paddle. Mix until the dough comes together. Change to the dough hook and knead for 3 to 4 minutes at medium speed until firm and elastic but still slightly sticky. Finish kneading briefly by hand on a surface floured with all-purpose flour.

First Rise. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Shaping and Second Rise. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. The dough should be moist, firm, and noticeably elastic, if slightly sticky. Cut the dough in half and shape each half into an oval loaf to fit a loaf pan. Place the loaves in the oiled pans (preferably glass), cover with a heavy towel, and let rise until truly doubled and fully above the tops of the pans, 1 to 1 ¼ hours.
Baking. Heat oven to 400° F. Slash a pattern in the top of the loaves. One baker in Milan cuts the shape of a stalk of grain on the top; elsewhere bakers make 3 parallel slashes. Bake 40 to 45 minutes; bake the last 5 to 10 minutes out of the pans on a baking stone or baking sheet to brown the bottoms and sides. Cool completely on a rack.

I didn't have finely ground oats so I tossed 50% rolled oats and 50% wheat flakes in the food processor and processed until they were fairly fine. I didn't have brown rice flour - used spelt flour instead. I think you can use whatever grains you have on hand - just keeping the measurements per each. It also needs more salt - and I'll leave this to each of you to determine.

I made one sandwich loaf and two baguettes. This bread is amazing - reminds me of the walnut bread sandwiches I used to get at Frederick & Nelson's back in the 60's (excellent with their crab salad!).

Maryann - Sharon, I made this today and it is sooo good! I don't always like the multigrain breads, but this one is a winner. Easy to make, and it's nice and moist besides.

I made a large loaf, a small loaf and 6 dinner rolls, only baking the dinner rolls for 20 minutes. The bread is very filling, so I will be cutting very thin slices for sandwiches. This would be great with cream cheese and thin sliced roasted turkey and a big piece of romaine. Also would be good with chicken salad, tuna salad, etc. I think this will be my new favorite bread for a while.

Sharon - I did learn one thing about this bread - slice it and store the slices in the freezer; this bread spoils very rapidly - going to have to investigate why! I do love this bread though

People had difficulty with the weighing of ingred -
Maryann - I've made this a few times, and always go with measuring the nuts, since I found that weight was off in the recipe. However, when I made this the other day, I used the scale for weighing out the flours and it turned out fine. I think it's too much salt in the recipe though.

Just wanted to mention that I did a fun thing with this dough. I wanted to attempt to copy a bread product that we have here by Arnold's called "sandwich thins" which is basically a very thin multigrain bun, high in fiber and great for sandwiches. The recipe made 32 buns and they turned out very similar to the store bought product.

me: Maryann, do you remember how many oz.of dough you used for each?

Maryann - Yes, I do remember using approx. 2 oz. of dough per each. I sectioned the dough into 8 oz. balls, then quartered, rolled into a ball again and let them all sit on the board until I was done. Then, using a rolling pin, I just flattened them until they were the size of a hamburger bun and baked them for 15 minutes. They came out looking sort of like a small pita. I froze most of them, then take out a few at a time.

I like to use these for turkey sandwiches and veggie burgers, but I don't think they would hold up well with a big juicy beef burger. Might be okay with a small, thin one, but who likes those?

Vicci - About this bread, I've made 2 loaves every other week for a few months and it's now my go-to recipe for our "everyday" bread. It rises well, has a good firm crumb, and I think that the rye flour gives it that certain taste that we particularly like. I made 6 loaves last week and, although I usually slice and freeze the bread after it has cooled, I just wrapped them tightly in plastic wrap (unsliced), then foil, since I'm hoping to keep the loaves for as long as I can. Without a/c, my baking days for the rest of the summer are limited!

Oh, I also have started making it without the walnuts (I ran out and will probably not re-buy until fall) and it's still pretty darn good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rye Bread by cjs (Maryann, you might w...)
Thanks Jean. I forgot about the five grain bread with walnuts, and we liked that one! That pumpernickle wreath sounds so festive, especially with some brie. I'll have to make that for a Sunday dinner very soon.

Oh! and how could I forget beer and rye pizza! Yes!!!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."