Japanese Dishes in Restaurants
  Re: (...)
After 43 years, I have finally convinced Roy to go to the little Sushi place down the hill from us. I dragged him in last week and he really enjoyed himself. But, since I've only made sushi a handful of times, because of 'him' I'm not real knowledgeable in the names of dishes on the menus.

So, any of you who know all this, just skip on to the next thread, but maybe someone would like a little cheat sheet like I made to keep in my purse for visits.

Japanese terms:
Bi Bim Bop - "mixed meal." Rice topped w/veggies, raw
or fried egg, sliced meat – served hot or cold.
Katsudon - a bowl of rice topped with a deep-fried pork cutlet,
egg, and condiments (has an * - no rice?)
Maki - cooked vinegared rice which is commonly topped with other
Makunouchi Bento - consists of fish, meat, pickles, eggs and
vegetables along with rice and an umeboshi. ( Umeboshi –
dried plum sauce). There are also other kinds such as a
chestnut-rice, sweetfish sushi and meat-and-rice-casserole forms.
Nigiri sushi - Japanese dish made with sushi rice and fresh fish.
Tataki – pounded or hit into pieces
Tekka - of a number of root vegetables which have been
stir-fried and boiled to a concentrated powder.
Tonkatsu – thin pork tenderloin cutlet salted, peppered, dredged
lightly in flour, dipped into beaten egg and then coated with
panko (breadcrumbs) before being deep fried.
Una Donburi - fresh water eel broiled with unagi sauce over
rice. Unagi sauce- A reduction of eel bone broth, soy sauce,
rice wine and sugar is first made as the base sauce
Yaki-Niku – grilled meat dishes (Bol-Go-Ki) – Marinated beef
over rice
Yakisoba Chicken - cooked in a soy sauce, chili paste garlic blend
is tossed with buckwheat soba noodles.

-------
These are just a few that are on the take out menu. I highlighted the terms and enclosed it in plastic and now I'm anxious to go look like an old hand at this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Japanese Dishes in Restaurants by cjs (After 43 years, I ha...)
Seriously, if you've never tried it and THINK that you would not even WANT to try it, try the eel, anyway. It is amazing!

If they have them, also try some Korokke (croquettes).

Of course, it should be obvious that the tonkatsu is good.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Japanese Dishes in Restaurants by labradors (Seriously, if you've...)
I could eat the tonkatsu right now, and I'm stuffed from dinner. But I still don't think I'm ready for eel. I love the cheat sheet. Copied and saved! Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Japanese Dishes in Restaurants by Gourmet_Mom (I could eat the tonk...)
Jean these look like fun - I am not so interested in Sushi but like

the other dishes. maybe veggie sushi ?

I have a recipe for Tonkatsu - from Greg Atkinson - with homemade plum sauce

let me know if you want it.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Japanese Dishes in Restaurants by cjs (After 43 years, I ha...)
Jean remember the beautiful sushi we made with the salmon, shrimp, and cucumber wrapped around the rice???

I love the sashimi - the nori just gags me for some reason. We can pig out on the tuna with no problem. I'm dying to try ahi egg rolls again but using frozen tuna so that it stays raw.

Tonkatsu is soooo good, I think it was Billy who gave me a fantastic recipe for it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Japanese Dishes in Restaurants by Harborwitch (Jean remember the be...)
Yes, to all about recipes - I want to strike while the irons are hot and Roy is willing!!

Oh, I'll try eel - I'll try anything at least once!!

Korokke - cooked chopped meat, seafood, and/or vegetables with mashed potato or white sauce, rolling in wheat flour, eggs and panko, then deep-frying until brown on the outside.

Korokke is a given!! Hmmmm, as often as I've made croquettes I've never done them with fish (that I remember, shoot, will have to go look ). That will be corrected shortly!! Thanks for the idea.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Japanese Dishes in Restaurants by cjs (Yes, to all about re...)
The eel is wonderful. That I would not only like it, but love it, surprised the heck out of me, but that is WHY it is so good to keep trying different things.

MJ, that plum sauce for the tonkatsu sounds interesting. "Tonkatsu Sauce[/i], itself, is a thick mixture of Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mirin, garlic, and sake, but the store-bought, "Bulldog" brand does contain prunes, so there's quite a bit of leeway and variation.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?