T.G.I.F.What's for Dinner?
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone menu for tonight?

I put the ribs in the slo-cooker yesterday, but they weren't ready for (mid-day) dinner, so we'll have them today with a four-bean salad and rice. The recipe, Chinese Country Ribs is from MasterCook's Delicious Meals. Pretty good, not spectacular.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F.What's for Dinner? by cjs ( What's on everyone ...)
I'm thawing the last of the lake perch that my father-in-law gave us from his last fishing trip. Since they are small and cook so fast, I find the best way is to just lightly dust them with seasoned flour and pan fry in butter for just a couple minutes. I'm thinking about making homemade mac&cheese to go with it and steamed broccoli.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F.What's for Dinner? by Mare749 (I'm thawing the last...)
It is Pork Belly Night here. My pork belly is in the oven right now rendering. My mom and her hubby are stopping by later for a taste too. My neighbor may stop by also. I smells are being vented outside by my Vent-a-hood Magic Lung hood vent. So we may even get people just out walking their dogsSmile
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F.What's for Dinner? by luvnit (It is Pork Belly Nig...)
Oh - I think I can smell it here. We're going to go see Joan next week, maybe I'll grab a little pork belly. Sounds sooo good. I don't know what we're doing.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F.What's for Dinner? by Harborwitch (Oh - I think I can s...)
Laura, you tease! I hope you're taking pictures of this process! I like to torture myself. I can't wait to do this myself.

Cricket and I will share the leftover London Broil. I'm thinking about doing mine in a fajita.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F.What's for Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, you tease! I...)
I have been taking pictures since Tuesday Daphne!

Now if everybody heads inland, you can meet at our place for a pork belly Reuben!

Stay safe everyone.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F.What's for Dinner? by luvnit (I have been taking p...)
Laura, I'd love to hear about the pork belly as well. Pork belly Reubens sound amazing!!

I'm trying a new/old recipe...Brunswick Stew from Cuisine issue "29, which is before the magazine became C@H! I've never made it before, but I have a good friend who has been talking about how she can't find a good Brunswick Stew recipe. I modified the recipe by using a store-bought rotisserie chicken and my home-smoked beef chuck rather than oven roasting the meat before adding it to the stew. It smells delicious. I can't wait to try it!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F.What's for Dinner? by karyn (Laura, I'd love to h...)
Karyn, I'll be anxious to hear how you like the Brunswick Stew, but it can't POSSIBLY be as good as my dad's recipe! I've had LOTS of Brunswick Stew, and his is the BEST! Seriously, I'm not being prejudiced. There are plenty of unbiased tasters that would back me up, as he offered it as an optional dish when he'd cater pig pickin's. I've never had anything to hold a candle to his. Let me know if you're interested. And if you have Jean's cookbook, Chef's Journey Home, it's in there.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F.What's for Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (Karyn, I'll be anxio...)
Quote:

Karyn, I'll be anxious to hear how you like the Brunswick Stew, but it can't POSSIBLY be as good as my dad's recipe! I've had LOTS of Brunswick Stew, and his is the BEST! Seriously, I'm not being prejudiced. There are plenty of unbiased tasters that would back me up, as he offered it as an optional dish when he'd cater pig pickin's. I've never had anything to hold a candle to his. Let me know if you're interested. And if you have Jean's cookbook, Chef's Journey Home, it's in there.

Boy, I miss pig pickin's. We had one in our neighborhood every fall when we lived in NC.

The C@H Brunswick Stew was delicious! John HATES all beans except green beans, and the recipe did not disguise the lima beans enough to make him happy, but he had a large second helping anyway, and then spent 10 or 15 minutes picking the remaining lima beans out of the leftovers so that he could enjoy the stew tomorrow without worry. Needless to say, I'll be making this again, but will leave out the beans. I'm also going to give your dad's recipe a try, Daphne, as soon as I get the cookbook.

Semi-new kid moment...I have Jean's pizza cookbook, and didn't get the Corn and Beans one (for obvious reasons!), but I didn't know that Jean had another book. I just ordered A Chef's Journey Home from Amazon, and can't wait to see what other yummy recipes I'll find.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F.What's for Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (Karyn, I'll be anxio...)
Nothing terribly exciting here - grilled shrimp, yellow rice and a greek salad.