Picky?
  Re: (...)
If you think YOU know some picky eaters, see what THIS GUY has to say. Tongue
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Picky? by labradors (If you think YOU kno...)
Sadly, I am close to his way of thinking. There are SOME sweet/savory things I've tried that I liked, but there are some that I don't care for. Unlike this blogger, I DO give them a try. It's a rare thing when I like it, and I'm surprised by it...but that's what keeps me trying them. For example, at the Taste of Southport last weekend, I was bowled over by the Balsamic Maple Vinaigrette/Marinade. I can't wait to make that one myself.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Picky? by Gourmet_Mom (Sadly, I am close to...)
I feel sad for anyone so cemented in their mind set, they can't get around it and test all things. Good for you, Daphne to at least being willing to try.

What went thru my mind when I saw your thread, Labs - but, before I read the blog - was a fellow I knew years ago who would not eat leftovers. Every single night, Dora, his wife had to make a new meal. EVERY FRIGGIN' NIGHT!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Picky? by cjs (I feel sad for anyon...)
Wonder what that blogger thinks about roasted peppers, caramelised onions and browned meat (or anything else that involves the Maillard reaction). LOL!
Some of the things he refers to, I've never even thought of!!!I'm basically a savory guy, but pineapple salsa is perfect with jerk pork, fruit and berries are delicious with pork and chicken--I do agree that sweet potatoes are delicious in pie--I have tried them otherwise and don't seek them out. I've even tried liver.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Well, I've been with own personal Picky for 14 or 15 years now and he's almost as bad. The meal rotation has maybe 10 dishes I can prepare. He does have a sweet tooth so I can get away with "jelly" meatballs, bacon scallops with maple and chix fingers with sweet and sour sauce so I guess it could be worse. Labs, I was wondering the same thing.

He simply refuses to try new things. I did get him to try duck and lamb, he'll eat a couple of bites of each. Not much progress for 15 years!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Picky? by pjcooks (Well, I've been with...)
I kept thinking that that guy couldn't possibly be that closed minded (or should that be mouthed?) - then I remembered my ex. Dumba$$! We love fruit salsas, glazes, sauces, etc. I do draw the line at the meatballs in grape jelly (maybe it's the grape jelly???)

Now - I do have to say that if jelly or syrup touches my fried or scrambled eggs I am liable to need that guy's bucket. I think that's because I wasn't allowed to have anything like that on my plate UNTIL I'd eaten my eggs.

Hmmmmm same mother who baked a chocolate cake every week, then told me I'd become a diabetic if I ate any of it!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Picky? by Harborwitch (I kept thinking that...)
OMG I love sausage smothered in maple syrup. However, I do not like maple syrup any other time. Go figure. I only eat pancakes about once a year and usually regret it an hour later hahaha.
  Re: Re: Picky? by Harborwitch (I kept thinking that...)
Quote:

Now - I do have to say that if jelly or syrup touches my fried or scrambled eggs I am liable to need that guy's bucket. I think that's because I wasn't allowed to have anything like that on my plate UNTIL I'd eaten my eggs.

Whenever I have breakfast at a place like Denny's or Bob Evans (of course, that's been a while), where the breakfast has pancakes, bacon and/or sausage AND eggs, I put the pancake dish in front of me, put the butter onto the pancakes, put the eggs (over easy) on top of that and the bacon on top of the eggs, then break the yolks and pour the syrup over the whole stack.

Oh, yeah, and at Thanksgiving, I DELIBERATELY pour gravy onto the cranberry sauce.
  Re: Re: Picky? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
and I love to have two piles of mashed potatoes - one with gravy and one with cranberry sauce, right next to each other so they kinda blur....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com