Cute cooking movie
  Re: (...)
Watched this movie recently on Netflix and thought it was rather cute. Here is the description:

Pressure Cooker
2008 NR 99 minutes

Three Philadelphia high school students negotiate the challenges of the inner city and the demands of their tough-minded culinary arts teacher, Wilma Stephenson, to become contenders in a citywide cooking competition. Charming and surprisingly hilarious, Jennifer Grausman and Mark Becker's inspiring, Emmy-nominated documentary showcases the heights young minds can reach, regardless of their environment, when they're expected to succeed.

Cast:Wilma Stephenson Director:Mark Becker, Jennifer Grausman GenresBig Grinocumentary, Social & Cultural Documentaries, Food Stories, Food & Wine This movie is:Emotional, Inspiring FormatBig GrinVD and streaming (HD available)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Cute cooking movie by Mare749 (Watched this movie r...)
It sounds cute, Maryann. We don't have a DVD, but I'm thinking I may sign up for Netflix. They've REALLY reduced their rates and can't you download straight to your TV via an internet connection to your system?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cute cooking movie by Gourmet_Mom (It sounds cute, Mary...)
Yes, Daphne, but it's not quite that simple. You still have to buy either a blue ray player or a device that is called a roku that you can obtain from netflix.

My recommendation if you want Netflix would be to go with the blue ray player because they only have certain movies that can be watched with the streaming to your TV method, but with the blue ray, you can watch all of them.
Maryann

Re: Re: Cute cooking movie by Mare749 (Yes, Daphne, but it'...)
Thanks for the info, Maryann. I'll look into it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cute cooking movie by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the info,...)
O.K., here come the questions from the 'illiterate' - I thought you could just sign up for NetFlix and the movies started arriving that we watch on our DVD (CD?) disc player thing - no?

I've added the movie to our list. And, speaking of movies, Babies arrived this week, so we'll watch it this weekend. ALSO, at lunch with the family yesterday, my niece mentioned that there are movies of Stieg Larsson's Tattoo Girl series!!! I'm halfway thru the 3rd book and Roy has already read it, so I'm sure going to get those. Love those books.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cute cooking movie by cjs (O.K., here come the ...)
For discs, just add items to your queue. Initially, you'll get however many they're sending out at one time, nowadays (it used to be three, but that was years ago and a lot has changed). After that, as soon as they receive a disc you've sent back, they send you the next one in your queue.

The instantly playable titles come up on your computer monitor or (if you have the right equipment and it's all connected properly) on your TV right away.

Netflix is an amazing service and I used to be a subscriber (when I was in the States, of course) back when they only had the one distribution facility in CA. Even then, their turn-around time was super fast. Whoever designed that concept, site and envelope system was absolutely brilliant!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cute cooking movie by labradors (For discs, just add ...)
Thank you for explaining how netflix works much better than I did!
Maryann

Re: Re: Cute cooking movie by Mare749 (Thank you for explai...)
Thanks Maryann. I added it to my que on netflix. Maybe I'll have time to watch it this weekend.

We just joined a month or so ago. For roughly $10.00 a month you get unlimited DVD's and unlimited Instant Steamed movies.

- You can see the streamed ones on your computer, or

- we can stream them through the Wii which is hooked up to our wirless connection, or

- we also use the newer blue ray dvd players (which plays regular dvd's and blue ray) and are not that expensive these days also connect through a wireless signal and will stream.

If you go with just the DVD route (No instant streaming) it is cheeper than $10.00. They send one dvd and turn around time is about 3 to 4 days on getting the new one. Not all movies are available on the instant streaming.
For us we are watching enough movies that it is a good deal.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cute cooking movie by esgunn (Thanks Maryann. I a...)
A NetFlix hint: Yes, their commercials always play up the bit about "no late fees" and "keep the movies as long as you want," but it's actually better, for YOU, if you watch a movie as soon as you receive it AND send it back right away, WITHOUT keeping it any longer. That way, you are able to cycle through more movies for the month and get the most for your money. Holding onto a disc to watch it a few days later, to watch it again or just to "be lazy" means you don't get to see as many movies in a month and, therefore, is better for NetFlix, instead of you.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cute cooking movie by esgunn (Thanks Maryann. I a...)
If anyone has RedBox in their area this is also a really good deal. Especially if you can return them the next day and want mostly newer movies out on DVD. They have them outside 7-11's here (like a circle K) inside entrances to Walmart, grocery stores, lots and lots of places. You can reserve one on the computer - find which redbox has it close to you. Pick it up that day and you have it until 9pm the next night I think. They can be returned to any redbox -not necessarily the one you got it from. AND it is only $1.00.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.